★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Any iOS games that are massive and deep like a PSP game?

09-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Any iOS games that are massive and deep like a PSP game?

Hey guys. This has probably been asked before, but I am currently playing Gods Eater Burst and Monster Hunter on the PSP and I was wondering if there are any games on the iPad that are incredibly deep like the ones I just mentioned. Most iOS games are fairly brief and linear, so I just wondered what people's thoughts were.

I know there is Final Fantasy Tatics which I have been tempted by, any thoughts on this.
09-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Ascendancy
Galaxy on Fire 2
Battle for Wesnoth
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
The Quest Gold (+ expansions)
Aralon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

09-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Avadon is deeper than anything on the psp
09-15-2011, 05:13 PM
FFT is definitely deep. Worth the price if you're hardcore enough to overlook the fact that it's a poor port.
09-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Crisis Core buries Aralon. Seriously. Kingdom Hearts too, probably. And, my opinion, 3rd Birthday. If we are talking a complete gaming experience, then no, not really. If only the controls in Chinatown Wars was better, perhaps. But if you've played the PSP version and iOS version of GTA:CTW, there is no comparison. PSP is vastly superior. Even Real Racing 2 does not match up in terms of a complete package with Race Driver 2006. Some iOS games feature better graphics then an aging PSP, but that doesn't mean that totality of the experience is better. Personally, I did see a lot of potential in Galaxy on Fire 2. There is a lot of polish there, for sure. However, the story and the characters fell so incredibly flat to me that it couldn't maintain my interest.

With the three modern Final Fantasy games, Kindgom Hearts, and 3rd Birthday, Square-Enix has pretty much outdone anything that the iOS is capable of producing. Plus Metal Gear Solid Peacemaker, God of War, Vice City Stories, Manhunt 2, both Spyhon Filter games, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Resistance, Star Wars The Force Unleashed, God Father Mob Wars, Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition, Killzone Liberation. Its a long list.
09-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob12 View Post
I feel good.We can often talk about games your article help me a lot.Hope we can be friend and play together.
Man, there have been some hilarious spam posts lately.
09-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumaz1000 View Post
Crisis Core buries Aralon. Seriously. Kingdom Hearts too, probably. And, my opinion, 3rd Birthday. If we are talking a complete gaming experience, then no, not really. If only the controls in Chinatown Wars was better, perhaps. But if you've played the PSP version and iOS version of GTA:CTW, there is no comparison. PSP is vastly superior. Even Real Racing 2 does not match up in terms of a complete package with Race Driver 2006. Some iOS games feature better graphics then an aging PSP, but that doesn't mean that totality of the experience is better. Personally, I did see a lot of potential in Galaxy on Fire 2. There is a lot of polish there, for sure. However, the story and the characters fell so incredibly flat to me that it couldn't maintain my interest.

With the three modern Final Fantasy games, Kindgom Hearts, and 3rd Birthday, Square-Enix has pretty much outdone anything that the iOS is capable of producing. Plus Metal Gear Solid Peacemaker, God of War, Vice City Stories, Manhunt 2, both Spyhon Filter games, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Resistance, Star Wars The Force Unleashed, God Father Mob Wars, Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition, Killzone Liberation. Its a long list.
Ah, the PSP fanboy speaks!

Crisis Core is one of the few games that I've hated the first time I tried it, got talked into trying it again by folks who share your enthusiasm for it, and ended up hating it even more. I have to imagine that you have to be an FF7 fanboy to enjoy it. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep was better (well, at least the combat was better, though needlessly complicated) but it was also really repetitive with a ridiculous amount of backtracking. Aralon was easily more enjoyable than either of them.

I agree with your general point, though: the PSP has way has more "big games" than iOS -- particularly if Monster Hunter is your idea of a "big game." When you speak about "a complete package" I read "a bunch of crap I don't care about that the developer included to justify charging $40 for a handheld game." The 9quad is right: there's nothing as deep as Avadon on PSP. Not even close. That's a different kind of depth than what you get in a "complete package" like Monster Hunter.

For what it's worth, the most affecting gaming experience I've had in a while came from 1112 part 3.
09-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by halljames View Post
Hey guys. This has probably been asked before, but I am currently playing Gods Eater Burst and Monster Hunter on the PSP and I was wondering if there are any games on the iPad that are incredibly deep like the ones I just mentioned.
Well, if you're looking at RPGs there's Crimson Gem Saga, which was originally a PSP game before coming to iOS. It's more detailed than most of the iOS-native RPGs for that reason.

King of Dragon Pass is another game with a lot of meat to it, and fills a rather unique gaming niche. That was a PC game first, and has been updated for iOS.

In general, you'll find that most of the deeper iDevice games are either multi-platform, or were originally released for a different system. For example, Avadon, which was recommended in this thread because of its depth, is descended from a long line of PC/Mac RPGs (and was released on these platforms first).
09-15-2011, 10:25 PM
There's a few adventure games worth looking into if you are into that genre: Monkey Island, Puzzle Agent, Hector, Sword and Sworcery. Anyway, I agree with Drelb's list too. Battle of Wesnoth is great if you are a tactics fan.

If you are looking for things like Monster Hunter or God Eater, you won't get anything of its equivalent. There is a Monster Hunter title on the appstore, but it's a watered down version of what you already have on the psp. You might like Infinity Blade, which is something like crisis core but without so much spells. If you are into crafting aspects and action RPG, you might like the Korean RPG, Wild Frontier.
09-16-2011, 03:50 AM
I love you for making this thread because I was checking out all the games people posted and found Crimson Gem Saga for the first time. Thanks! XD (and thank you Appletini too)

Waiting for: Chaos Rings II, Phoenix Wright 123
I will always love: Kairosoft and CAVE Co. Ltd., Capcom, Godzilab, Simogo
Feel free to add me on Gamecenter; I'm Kirbychewy!
Dodonpachi is no longer my favorite iOS game.