★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Help pick our company name: Binary Helix or Code Lube

09-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Help pick our company name: Binary Helix or Code Lube

We're getting close to releasing our game, but are still deciding on the company name. Technically, we're XP .COM, LLC, but we no longer have our business at that domain--long story short, we sold the domain. So it makes sense to establish a different more memorable name where people can easily contact us especially if we self-publish. The two names in consideration we have already registered .com domains for are:

Binary Helix: Sounds like a digital game company, and since we have invested in AI for our games, this seems like a natural fit considering "helix" resonates with DNA. It's also the "label" our game soundtrack is published under. Obviously inspired from one of our favorite games, let's see if anybody knows...

Code Lube: Sounds more like a software shop, less a game developer. But it seems somewhat "hip" and bleeding edge. Also irreverent, which we like to instill in our games.

We had also used PlayHQ in an earlier trailer, but will probably not use that name.

What do you think?

Dangerous - Epic 3D space combat RPG
Discussion - Website - Trailer - Soundtrack & Preview

Last edited by swiftest; 09-15-2011 at 05:16 PM.
09-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Honestly, I don't think either is memorable (just my honest opinion, that's what you want, right?). The second name made me giggle a little lol. Sounds naughty but if I had to pick between the two, I'd go with the first. Then I'd probably change my mind later and go with Code Lube haha!

Twitter: @PeterBabiy
Site: www.strappedtoameteor.com
Games: Go Go Giraffe | DEO | Mr. Dreamer

09-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Code Lube is a sexual and somewhat off-putting image. I wouldn't consider that one...
09-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSnyder View Post
Code Lube is a sexual and somewhat off-putting image. I wouldn't consider that one...
That occurred to me, too, but lube is also a popular term used in car maintenance and oil changes (Jiffy Lube). In the context of software, it can mean tools that make coding simpler. Point noted, however.

As far as neither being memorable, if you look at other company names without the history/branding they've developed, like BioWare, it doesn't seem all that memorable either. Look at "Valve Software", that sounds really bland, but we obviously know how far they've come. And "Bethesda Softworks" sounds like a steel mill or shipyard to me.

It's interesting seeing what other indie studios call themselves, too: Team Meat (doesn't sound related to games or software at all), Amanita Design (sounds more like an appliance design firm), Twisted Pixel (lots of studios with pixel in their name), etc.

Dangerous - Epic 3D space combat RPG
Discussion - Website - Trailer - Soundtrack & Preview
09-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftest View Post
It's interesting seeing what other indie studios call themselves, too: Team Meat (doesn't sound related to games or software at all), Amanita Design (sounds more like an appliance design firm), Twisted Pixel (lots of studios with pixel in their name), etc.
Just because other companies picked mediocre names doesn't mean you have to as well.

Pick something that resounds with your team, and build it into a brand. Personally neither of those stands out to me, but the lube one is a most absolute no.
09-16-2011, 02:57 AM
Huh, I ain't the only one and I thought I was being a perv haha. Yeah Lube also means car oil or whatever but that ain't gonna be your first thought.

I'd stay away from using anything corporate sounding...that's of course if your team is very casual which it sounds like it is.

Twitter: @PeterBabiy
Site: www.strappedtoameteor.com
Games: Go Go Giraffe | DEO | Mr. Dreamer
09-16-2011, 05:20 AM
I agree with all the other posts...I'd go with Binary Helix!
09-16-2011, 07:04 AM
I love code lube exactly for all the reasons these guys don't like it. .
Come on ! Code LUBE !!!!
09-16-2011, 07:44 AM
Personally like Binary Helix..
09-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Binary Helix sounds nerdy and legit. Much better than Code Lube.