★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Mara's Dreams (from What's Up Dev?) First Preview

09-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Mara's Dreams (from What's Up Dev?) First Preview

I've been working on an iOS title with a few friends from the university. We're a little over halfway completed with our project and we've entered the fundraising phase! We made a little preview video to share where we're at with the game. Anyway, if you're at all interested, here's a link to the video:

Mara's Dreams:

Now that we're public with the game, I can talk about content and gameplay etc, so if you guys have any questions, I'll be happy to answer.

The gameplay is pretty simple. You sit on top of a whale who launches you into the sky. Naturally, as a fish, you can't fly, but you attempt to fly by tapping the screen to flap your fins. Your little fishy struggles to stay afloat, but ultimately succumbs to falling back into the ocean as his energy is depleted.

While in the air, there are coins, birds, and other objects to both help you and harm you. Over time, you may use your coins to purchase upgrades, such as stronger flapping power, the opportunity to eat bugs to replenish energy, and even a rocket that gives you a very strong boost for staying afloat.

Eventually, your ability to fake flying as a fish will become very advanced. You will be able to soar above the clouds, and if your skill level is high enough, rise above the atmosphere into space.

Your goal is to travel as far as possible in one session, though your progress adds up over time, to avoid penalizing the novice player. As you progress, you move closer to the next location that Mara is visiting. When your distance to her next area reaches zero, you will be in a new world. When you have traveled all of the worlds, you will be reunited with Mara.

If you want to follow the progress, you can follow us on the various social networks which you can find here:

http://www.whatsupdev.com/

Update: Adding this gameplay footage to the op.

Last edited by tvallier; 09-25-2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: embedded trailer
09-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Gnarly

09-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DregsOnLegs View Post
Gnarly
Thanks! I forgot to mention, this app will be released universal.
09-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Teaser:

Last edited by Sanuku; 09-16-2011 at 01:24 PM.
09-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvallier View Post
Thanks! I forgot to mention, this app will be released universal.
...Bought...
09-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
...Bought...
I know universal apps make a big difference for me so I figured it would be worth mentioning
09-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvallier View Post
I know universal apps make a big difference for me so I figured it would be worth mentioning
It makes the difference nowadays if i buy a Game without knowing anything about it or simple ignoring it and keeping my Money till i have played a Lite Version of it or have seen a Gameplay Trailer about it that makes me wana buy it.

You should also make sure the Games does have the Option to seperate the Music from the Soundeffects so we can turn down the Music or/and the Soundeffects.
09-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
You should also make sure the Games does have the Option to seperate the Music from the Soundeffects so we can turn down the Music or/and the Soundeffects.
We will definitely be implementing this in the game, thanks for the suggestion.
09-16-2011, 04:31 PM
The last 2 pictures don't really make me want to buy it... Any other screen shot? I liked the 1st though.

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
09-17-2011, 07:56 AM
Instabuy for sure.

What inspired the title?

Looks brilliant, sweet title too ^^

And universal is a huge plus!
What stage of development are you in?