★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Do you buy premium games or no?

05-17-2017, 01:49 PM
Do you buy premium games or no?

Do you buy premium games or do you mainly go free? What's the reason? I used to buy games with no issue with the same mind set I do on pc or my 3ds thinking hey they are mine I don't have to worry about playing them immediately they will still be there. Then it seems like by the time I get to the iOS games I want to play after beating some, some update screwed them over.
05-17-2017, 06:18 PM
For me it's premium games 99% of the time. Aside from Vainglory and Hearthstone being the only exception, the rule is for me, I abhor freemium and pay2win games. I don't have those, and will never have them, in my game library.

05-18-2017, 09:12 AM
Absolutely, if there's a game I want and it's good enough I definitely pay. As far as I'm concerned gaming on iOS is no different to gaming on any other system. I buy games for PS4/Xbone/Switch and so on, so why shouldn't I do the same on iOS.

Don't get me wrong, I don't exclusively buy premium games. There's lots of good free ones too, but those have a different set of rules for me. I'll download them and try them but the first sign of any of the old gouging techniques and I delete it.
Not that the developers don't deserve to make money, I just think there are fairer ways to treat your customers. Maybe I'm too old fashioned

Total tech addict, software developer (more or less) and spouter of complete and utter nonsense when my medication kicks in. (No, really.)
05-18-2017, 03:12 PM
I play both happily, but I'll never pay for any consumable IAP ever. Full game unlocks or extra levels I will pay for.
05-18-2017, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancj View Post
I play both happily, but I'll never pay for any consumable IAP ever. Full game unlocks or extra levels I will pay for.

I know what you mean, it can be taken a bit too far at times. Granted I do always have a consumable in my games, but it's my usual "Buy me a coffe" which just lets anyone who wants to contribute to my obsession (making games)

Most people don't bother, shocker but that's expected. Beyond that everything in my games can be obtained just by playing, no money necessary. Suppose that's why I'm poor but I'd rather that than gouge people for money. I don't like it myself so I'm sure as hell not doing it in my games.

Total tech addict, software developer (more or less) and spouter of complete and utter nonsense when my medication kicks in. (No, really.)
05-19-2017, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertking24 View Post
Do you buy premium games or do you mainly go free? What's the reason? I used to buy games with no issue with the same mind set I do on pc or my 3ds thinking hey they are mine I don't have to worry about playing them immediately they will still be there. Then it seems like by the time I get to the iOS games I want to play after beating some, some update screwed them over.
same for me, if I buy a game I own the game. For me it must be "stand alone" full game that can be backed up in the PC (IPA file).
When I buy a game, the first test is the following: I launch the game in plane mode (no internet) and if it doesn't work I ask Apple for a refund.
Besides I hate the trend which consist of turning a premium game into a free+IAP after a while.
05-19-2017, 08:09 AM
Honestly, I'd venture that most of us, on an iOS gaming forum, will buy premium games. Maybe not exclusively, but I can't imagine people hanging around the forums only to look for free games

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt
05-19-2017, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabuckn View Post
Honestly, I'd venture that most of us, on an iOS gaming forum, will buy premium games. Maybe not exclusively, but I can't imagine people hanging around the forums only to look for free games

You may well be right but I wouldn't like to put my money on it, not the way people are these days when it comes to anything they don't have to pay for. Mores the pity

05-20-2017, 02:53 AM
Yes, but also get free games. It's whatever is good, and with no forced agenda in either direction..
05-20-2017, 11:22 AM
Why yes, yes indeed, just bought Chroma squad as it happens.