★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Charging $4.99 or more hurt app sales?

11-16-2016, 02:33 PM
Charging $4.99 or more hurt app sales?

Does this hurt app sales or does it matter ?
I know if people want a certain game they will pay whatever but the casual gamer who grabs the free games and watches ads or pays $1.99 or less tend to look these games over.
Is it better to charge a bigger premium or free to play it with iap full game.
I think Mario runner coming out is doing it the best.
What u all think
I would rather free game so I can play it and try it out and then have an Iap that allows access to all functions and full game.

Last edited by Jayg2015; 11-20-2016 at 05:10 PM.
11-16-2016, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayg2015 View Post
Does this hurt app sales or does it matter ?
I know if people want a certain game yet will pay whatever but the casual gamer who grabs the free games and watches ads or pays $1.99 or less tend to look these games over.
Is it better to charge a bigger premium or free to play it with iap full game.
I think Mario runner coming out is doing it the best.
What u all think
Because of how the iOS ecosystem is .
Apps getting broken
Users hesitate to spend money on the AppStore
The best way to get user to spend money is by building a community.
Built it with your beta tester, and forums.
Get some of your player to not stop talking about it

11-16-2016, 06:44 PM
I guess it depends on the audience you're aiming towards. Casual mobile gamers might be turned off by a 4.99 or more price tag, where as hardcore gamers wouldn't care. And in the modern-day market where freemium is slowly taking over, people may be less likely to go for premium, in general.

And, IMO, it's better to have it free with a full game unlock, rather than straight-up premium. That way you can at least try it out before you spend money on it.

"Excellent!"
11-18-2016, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGlassesGuy View Post

And, IMO, it's better to have it free with a full game unlock, rather than straight-up premium. That way you can at least try it out before you spend money on it.
Agreed. Once I determine I will actually play it for more than an hour, I won't even think about whether to spend 5 euro. For some reason, 10 will hold me back a bit more... which I am ashamed to say; I bought many Game Boy games for much more that were barely any fun. Maybe that's why; maybe I grew old and learned something along the way
11-18-2016, 08:06 PM
This is how it breaks down for Premium Titles that pique my interest. Under $5.00 = almost always an instabuy. $5.00-$8.00 = research to make sure i'll like it, then buy. 10.00 and up = I usually wait for a price drop. I am a casual gamer; I may be the only member in this forum that has actually never finished a SINGLE game that I have purchased, and I currently own about 350 premium games from the last 4 years on iOS.
11-19-2016, 04:42 PM
That's a bit different for me though. I like to try and finish games. Don't always succeed. And time is more limited than money. Maybe the reason for the "10 euro scare" has more to do with the combination of time constraints coupled with the enormous quantity of games I like below 5 euros. I will never be able to play them all. A full game unlock signifies for me that it's likely a type of game that i like, and then I just pick any one that peaks my interest, and then there's always an incredibly cheap one, so the less cheap one does not get tried.
11-19-2016, 04:50 PM
I'd recommend you look at other comparable games to see how they are priced so that your game looks appealing in the App Store. I think it can be difficult to maintain a higher price and stay on the charts, so you want to leave room for periodic sales / price drops. Much depends on factors such as whether the game is featured by Apple or positively reviewed on any gaming websites, both of which help drive sales significantly.

Best of luck!

Mike Camilli - developer of Lost Portal CCG [website, forum thread, Facebook]
11-19-2016, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedron Engineer View Post
That's a bit different for me though. I like to try and finish games. Don't always succeed. And time is more limited than money. Maybe the reason for the "10 euro scare" has more to do with the combination of time constraints coupled with the enormous quantity of games I like below 5 euros. I will never be able to play them all. A full game unlock signifies for me that it's likely a type of game that i like, and then I just pick any one that peaks my interest, and then there's always an incredibly cheap one, so the less cheap one does not get tried.
Same here. Though I don't have a problem droping money if I really like to play the game or like very much the dev.

I have much more games than I will play on a lifetime, however, I keep on buying. Lol
11-19-2016, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedron Engineer View Post
I like to try and finish games. Don't always succeed. And time is more limited than money.
This is so me too!

I can't really comment on sales of apps, as I'm a player, not a developer. However, I would say that I will give a game with a price tag of $4.99 (3.99 in UK) a second look, as generally speaking a developer needs justified faith in their game to charge that price or more. I have probably missed out on dozens of great F2P games because they don't stand out in the same way.

That said, while my view is common among TA members, it's not representative of App Store customers as a whole.

2016 GOTY nominations (needs editing!): Crashlands, FFIX, Sky Force Reloaded, Lost Socks, Tennis Champs Returns, Teeny Titans, Human Resource Machine, Imbroglio, Retsnom, SteamWorld Heist
Comeback of the year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
11-20-2016, 03:52 PM
For me, $5/4 is my absolute upper limit (except for Carcassonne which I got when I'd just come into loads of iTunes credit). For the most part though, I wait for games to come down in price to $1-$2. I just have too many games piled up that I haven't even tried yet to spend more than that on a game.