Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-22-2014, 11:02 PM
StVincent StVincent is offline
Junior Member
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19
Default 6 or 6+? (an existential crisis!)

So I played around with a 6+ in the store today for about fifteen minutes trying to use it like I use my current phone (a 4S)... long story short, I almost dropped it once, and my thumb still hurts two hours later.

I like to walk around the city using my phone one-handed, but I also am absolutely in love with the idea of a huge iPad-mini-mini sized screen, optical image stabilization, and a big battery. After reaching and stretching on the 6 Plus, I went back to the 6 and it felt so natural... Is the pain worth the bigger screen? Am I doing something wrong? Is one-handed use something I should give up on?

Who else has taken the plunge into the plus-sized end of the pool? I need first-hand accounts (pun intended).
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-22-2014, 11:29 PM
Amenbrother Amenbrother is offline
Senior Member
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StVincent View Post
So I played around with a 6+ in the store today for about fifteen minutes trying to use it like I use my current phone (a 4S)... long story short, I almost dropped it once, and my thumb still hurts two hours later.

I like to walk around the city using my phone one-handed, but I also am absolutely in love with the idea of a huge iPad-mini-mini sized screen, optical image stabilization, and a big battery. After reaching and stretching on the 6 Plus, I went back to the 6 and it felt so natural... Is the pain worth the bigger screen? Am I doing something wrong? Is one-handed use something I should give up on?

Who else has taken the plunge into the plus-sized end of the pool? I need first-hand accounts (pun intended).
Well my wife has a galaxy s-5 which is 5.1 inches and it feels awesome to me. I bet its not even close to as thin a 6 plus would be. I want the 6 plus and I dont even care if I have to 2 hand it or turn it sideways a lot. I use it for gaming and surfing the net along with texting so it just makes sense.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-23-2014, 05:25 AM
Nekku Nekku is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 933
Default

Doesn't the 6plus has a feature were you can swipe down the screen so you can still reach every button just with your thumb?
I'm sure it has.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-23-2014, 05:51 AM
Vovin Vovin is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,189
Default

Maybe this article helps:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/22/68...-iphone-6-plus

It's a must-read anyway, it's written in a hilarious way.

Another thing to consider as a gamer is this:

Quote:
The iPhone 6 is clocked at 1.39 GHz and have 987 MB of RAM availability which is slightly more than it’s sibling iPhone 6 + which is clocked at 1.32 GHz and have 975 MB RAM availabilty, so the test results are in favor of iPhone 6 than the iPhone 6 Plus.

In both the single and multi core tests with geekbench, iPhone 6 scored 1627 points / 2920 points respectively where are the iPhone 6 Plus scored 1481 points / 2662 points respectively, if we compare the iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 + based on results and score, iPhone 6 performance is far better than iPhone 6 +.

Just a minor difference in the CPU clock frequency and RAM availability brought a drastic change in the test results, although the firmware size is large in iPhone 6 Plus ( around 2.37 GB) and it’s a big screen phone, but the results of the big iPhone is comparably very low than iPhone 6. (igadgetsworld)

You should also take note of these benchmarks:











Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekku View Post
Doesn't the 6plus has a feature were you can swipe down the screen so you can still reach every button just with your thumb?
I'm sure it has.
Yeah. Double-tap (NOT double-click) the home button and it brings the upper half of the screen down.

Last edited by Vovin; 09-23-2014 at 07:30 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-23-2014, 08:34 AM
Nekku Nekku is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 933
Default

Ugh, thanks for the link and benchmark results. Couldnt be worse I guess?
I really dont understand why Apple didnt add an extra graphic core like they did with previous devices like the iPad 4 to make up for the higher resolution.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-23-2014, 08:44 AM
dylanfan007 dylanfan007 is offline
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 111
Default

Imo go for the iphone 6,4.7 inch is the 'perfect' smartphone size,you can use it one handed and can still enjoy the width and length for videos,browsing or mostly to play games.It's according to me the perfect size anything around 5 is hard to manage and kind of clunky to use one handed,My android is 5inch and while the screen estate is good the portablility is clunky.

Honestly though I have have relatively large hands and the 4inch screen on my 5s is a bit of a letdown,I wish it was 4.7inches myself.Best thing is to try both the devices out your yourself.

6+ with 5.5 is almost useless qnd should not have existed in the first place,If I can't carry it in my pockets properly and need two hands to operate then I might as well buy a tablet.

Get iph6.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-23-2014, 08:49 AM
dylanfan007 dylanfan007 is offline
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekku View Post
Ugh, thanks for the link and benchmark results. Couldnt be worse I guess?
I really dont understand why Apple didnt add an extra graphic core like they did with previous devices like the iPad 4 to make up for the higher resolution.
Tbh extra core would mostly be useless since even pc games don't properly utilise 4 cores properly,I do agree that they shoul've put a steonger gpu in there but realistically what's rhe difference? Which game really pushes the devices?
We aren't even close to vita's graphics putting a stronger gpu for angry birds and stuff is useless,on the other hand stufd like mC5,Dq8 and bioshock struggles even on a tegra k1 due to poor optimisation.
We've hit a bottleneck in graphics and no game on appstore is even close to exploring half the potential of these devices,They may next year put a device capable of ps3 quality graphics but there's no point playing angry birds on it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Nekku Nekku is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 933
Default

Well yeah, what I've meant is that Apple should make all actual devices equal performance wise with either more cores or -like you said- a better GPU. Now we have the same as last year where the 5S was outperforming the iPad Air & Mini2.
The iPhone 5 and iPad 4 were almost equal so you could be sure a game would run smoothly on both devices.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-23-2014, 11:15 AM
dylanfan007 dylanfan007 is offline
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekku View Post
Well yeah, what I've meant is that Apple should make all actual devices equal performance wise with either more cores or -like you said- a better GPU. Now we have the same as last year where the 5S was outperforming the iPad Air & Mini2.
The iPhone 5 and iPad 4 were almost equal so you could be sure a game would run smoothly on both devices.
True,I hope that they do the same for this year onwards.But while Air and 5s did have same gpu the res on ipad air was much higher.People should give up on retina for at least 6-7 years.Ps4/Xone can't do 1920*1080 then why do people expect ipad to do 2048*1536.That's 'ONE MILLION' more pixels or 50% more pixels to push,It's impossible.

P.S Did you notice the flaw in the benchmark? Trex hd on native res (1920*1080)of 6+ isis 34.4 fps but running at the same (1920*1080) offscreen is 44fps.How's that possible?

Last edited by dylanfan007; 09-23-2014 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-23-2014, 11:54 AM
SherlockEB SherlockEB is online now
Senior Member
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 328
Default

@Vovin thanks for the article it was a good read.


About performance concerns regarding iPhone 6+ just remember if iPads use the same chipset with iPhones this year they are gonna have to push 1 million more pixels than iPhone 6+ and that'll make them even less powerful so developers will probably aim for them rather than iPhones and there won't be a huge difference between iPhone 6 and 6+ so unless Apple uses a different chipset on the new ipad line you're worrying over nothing.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent