★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Gameloft accused of illegal, dangerous working conditions

09-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Gameloft accused of illegal, dangerous working conditions

http://www.destructoid.com/gameloft-...s-206334.phtml

Quote:
Mobile studio Gameloft has been accused of overworking staff to "dangerous" levels, with a former staff member leveling some incredibly huge allegations at the creator of such titles as Asphalt and N.O.V.A.

"Some weeks I was working 100 to 120 hours a week," said former New Zealand studio head Glenn Watson. "Starting at 9:30 AM, going home at 2:30 AM, and then coming back into the office at 8:30 AM to start work again was not unusual.��There were other times when I would be called back into the office at 11:30 PM by the studio producer, only to head home again at 2:30 AM. It was after I worked four consecutive weeks of fourteen-hour days -- including weekends -- that I realised I needed to resign."

Watson and anonymous corroborators have stated that the French headquarters would often manufacture false deadlines to deliberately create panic and frenzied "crunch" periods. One junior programmer allegedly worked a 24-hour stint to meet these demands. It is said that Gameloft told anybody who refused to work their "contractual hours" that they were free to go, despite the working conditions violating New Zealand's healthy and safety laws.��

In the wake of the Team Bondi controversy, these accusations are not only timely, but potentially far more serious. Gameloft is yet to respond, but as someone who counted himself a fan of the studio, I hope we hear more about the situation soon, because those kinds of conditions are, quite frankly, pathetic.��
09-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Any point in posting this ? Seems a bit of sour grapes considering you work for another dev company

The company i work for i've done some 24 hour shifts, if i dont like it i'll leave. But at times i have to work crazy hours depending on deadlines.

But like i say coming from a rival company it looks bad youre posting this

09-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Wow, this is so old news

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
09-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Pussys. Ohh so hard sat in a million dollar offices or studios oh the hardwork must be terrible. I don't believe for 1second it's dangerous.

Oil rigs, mining, flying maybe dangerous. Sat at a computer in a nice studio?...get to 💩💩💩💩 you crybabys.
09-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaze View Post
Pussys. Ohh so hard sat in a million dollar offices or studios oh the hardwork must be terrible. I don't believe for 1second it's dangerous.

Oil rigs, mining, flying maybe dangerous. Sat at a computer in a nice studio?...get to �������� you crybabys.
Being overworked "to dangerous levels" is the issue.

And yeah, this is a pretty old article.
09-18-2011, 04:43 PM
"Starting at 9:30 AM, going home at 2:30 AM, and then coming back into the office at 8:30 AM to start work again was not unusual."

I think I can smell bullshit

Game Centre, Openfeint, Crystal, Gameloft Live and PSN ID: Smallville2106
09-18-2011, 05:29 PM
07/18/2011?

Thanks for sharing the latest news with us. Not sure how you live with a calendar that has a two month lag.

Twitter: @back2this
09-18-2011, 05:32 PM
"Starting at 9:30 AM, going home at 2:30 AM, and then coming back into the office at 8:30 AM to start work again "

That just sounds like my college life at the moment. And I love it.

LiamWUL Games Development
Gamecenter: walsh06
09-18-2011, 05:44 PM
There was a more timely thread made at the time this was actually news:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=100999