★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Kale In Dinoland (gameboy style platformer by The Rotting Cartridge)

09-19-2011, 03:11 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Kale In Dinoland (gameboy style platformer by The Rotting Cartridge)

Forget Gameboy styled, this WAS a Gameboy game back in 1992 by Skysoft. The Rotting Cartridge is a new studio dedicated to porting these old, lesser known GB titles.

If you're new, here's the low-down: We're The Rotting Cartridge, a new game studio whose members quit their jobs to rough it out in the burgeoning indie games scene. Like everyone else, we like iguanas and kitsch puns.

But unlike other developers, we don't believe it's a good idea to make your own retro games. After all, there are tons of old games out there. So instead, we focus on porting old games that we believe didn't get their fair share of attention back in the day.

Our first port is Kale in Dinoland, which was originally released by SkySoft in 1992. Maybe you've heard of it?
A boy named Kale, his girlfriend Terra, and the evil Mr. Dino.

We're delighted to be bringing Kale In Dinoland from SkySoft to the iPhone as a homage to handheld games of the early 90s. In it, we hope to capture a similar style and feeling the original evoked, all those years ago.
Looks very interesting, Stardash has awoken the GB fan in me once again. Only thing I'm worried about is the 4-way dpad, which hasn't really worked for iOS platformers since Castle of Magic.

Currently learning iMaschine and Garage Band.
09-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Looks great!

Upcoming Games: CJS2, Racing Apex, High Strangeness, Dino Run, Super Feed Me, Mimeo and the Kleptopus King, Loot, Run Run Dash, Pogo Rampage, Burrito Bison, Star Saver, Pocket Cars, Rock Rider, THEM, Prince of Europa, Epic Dive, One Tap Hero

09-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Yes! Been following this one on Twitter. Should be out very soon. Can't wait for this and Stardash though the latter is coming sooner!

Waiting for: Airborne Troopers, Mini Motor Racing. Minisquadron 2, Tweetland, Car Jack Streets 2, Drive Forever, Turf Geography Club, Junk Jack!!
Twitter: @nkatti
Proud Beta Tester of over 30 Games!
09-19-2011, 08:18 PM
awesome game!!! an instabuy when it'll be on the appstore
09-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
Looks like Pix n Love Rush + 1-bit ninja. And by the sounds of that, I'll be buying!
09-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Found another video (linked below, due to my ineptitude in posting videos here) from early September, with still shots and whatnot. Curious whether the "two months" is an EST for iOS release.

YouTube: video
09-20-2011, 07:42 AM
Hmm. 4-way dpad?

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
09-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Yep i'm hoping the joypad will be alright

But i'm loving this, i wish more companies would re-release classic old Gameboy games as theres a lot of very good ones about.

I'll be buying this the second its out !
09-20-2011, 08:30 AM
So, is this sorta like a Blair Witch-style marketing campaign? 'Cause I can't find any evidence that this actually was a Gameboy game back in the 90's.

I was going to download the rom to see if it was any good :-)~

Now playing: Squids, Shantae, Mage Gauntlet, Roboto, Emberwind, Cordy, Whale Trail, Aquaria, Super Crossfire, Extraction, Crazy Hedgy, Terra Noctis, Pocket RPG, Glowfish, Steambirds, Edge Ex, SANDWICHES!!, Goat Up, Bean's Quest, Last Rocket, Blobster, Run Jump Kill, Don't Run WAPS, Jap Werewolf, Space Tripper, Sonic CD, Sleepy Jack.
09-20-2011, 08:44 AM
^Same here, i tried looking for it and it doesnt seem to 'exist'. I was a huge fan of the gameboy back in the 90's and dont remember this, also used to play a lot of gameboy roms on emulators and again dont remember it.

Not a well known game for sure but i'm stunned a search on google doesnt bring it up anywhere apart from iOS links

But it so looks/sounds like a gameboy game, presume it is

Edit - Had an email from them (Always nice when you email an iOS company and they get back to you very quick), they wrote...

"Thanks for the interest!

A month or two, give or take.

The joystick is 4-way, though you can slide your finger across it to change directions.

We want to keep the design of this game far away from mobile game trends and towards GameBoy design, so there is none of that 'level-by-level' 'collect-the-stars' 'get highscores-per-level' stuff. Each area (composed of multiple, smaller levels) must be beaten (boss at the end) before the game saves. "

Sounds great. Shame its a month or two to wait ! But i'll be buying this the second its out

Last edited by psj3809; 09-20-2011 at 08:48 AM.