★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Now available for a new low price!

Powered by the Unreal Engine, Flashbike Arena is a third person arcade style racing battle where you ride a futuristic motorbike that leaves a colored wall in its wake. Causing other players to crash into your wall or their own earns points. Additional points and multipliers can be earned by collecting the energy cores left behind as the wreckage of a fallen adversary. Gain a speed boost by daring to ride as dangerously close as possible to any wall.

Features:
Graphics powered by the Unreal Engine
-Next Generation Shaders
-Rigid Body Physics
Game Center Support
-Achievements
-Leaderboards
In game tutorial video

View a trailer at http://flashbikearena.com/video

Compatible with:
iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad, iPod Touch 3rd and 4th Generation (except for 8 GB 3rd generation devices). Must have iOS 3.2 or later installed.

KarlKarlJohn's comments:
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share the release of Flashbike Arena, a UDK iOS game I've been working on with a few friends. It's available now for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. You can get it here.

In the game you control a "Flashbike" which leaves a colored wall behind it. The goal is to earn points by causing your enemies to crash either into your bike's wall or their own. When an opponent crashes an orb appears. This orb is the core of the Flashbike, which powers it. The key to earning maximum points is to collect these cores to earn point multipliers. The more cores you collect consecutively, the higher your multiplier will be.

To better illustrate the game here are a few screens starting with the main menu. There's also a video showing the in-game tutorial, which was created as a Kismet sequence.

09-20-2011, 06:05 AM
Wowser! This looks fantastic! It's come of nowhere, but it's looking far better than any of the more recent UDK games to hit the App Store. Chicken Coup, Save Our Sheep, Vroom! and Rush - Timetrial Racing were pretty good, but this looks much better!

Hall of Fame:
1. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP 2. Machinarium 3. Limbo 4. World of Goo 5. Ridiculous Fishing: A Tale of Redemption 6. Home 7. Rayman Jungle Run 8. Space Miner: Space Ore Bust 9. Rage HD 10. 1-Bit Ninja

09-20-2011, 06:14 AM
Very "Tron"!

This could be very cool if you had multiplayer
09-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Looks good!
09-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Hey guys, congratulations on the release, it looks very good! Very "tronish", and I love that mechanic, its super fun!

I'd only give you a tip on the video: to make it an even better presentation of this great game to the general public, I think you guys could work on the font colors and size to make it a little bit easier on the eyes, because it's a little bit hard to read on the blue and orange parts right now. The video should be perfectly viewable/readable even in the regular player size (without fullscreen).

good game! I wish you all the success with it! amazing work on the UDK
09-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks for all the positive comments and encouragement everyone! I'm glad you're all liking it! We're a small team on our first title so we're definitely looking for all the input we can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerx View Post
Very "Tron"!

This could be very cool if you had multiplayer
We are working on a multiplayer version that we're planning on including as part of a future update. Also, working on PC and Mac versions.
09-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonEye View Post
Hey guys, congratulations on the release, it looks very good! Very "tronish", and I love that mechanic, its super fun!

I'd only give you a tip on the video: to make it an even better presentation of this great game to the general public, I think you guys could work on the font colors and size to make it a little bit easier on the eyes, because it's a little bit hard to read on the blue and orange parts right now. The video should be perfectly viewable/readable even in the regular player size (without fullscreen).

good game! I wish you all the success with it! amazing work on the UDK
Thanks for the support and suggestion! I totally agree with you regarding the font colors and size in the video. The first trailer we released had this problem too, which we changed in a few of the spots where it was the hardest to read. Should have done it for this one too.
09-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Dang! I've been looking for a decent Armagetron Advanced clone for a while. =D

While I appreciate the simplicity of the menu, I'd also really like some options. I'm not sure of the limits of UDK, but I'd be really happy if there was an option to prevent trails from disappearing. I felt this was a big part of strategy in the original the opponent's lines only disappeared when you killed them, so boxing yourself it was much easier. Also, I'd really love it if you could have teams; 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 (if you can get it to run smoothly) would be incredibly awesome. More intelligent AI would be good too, but I'm not sure how easy that is to improve. =P

-Team mode
-Better AI
-Intense electronic BGM?

It's already very fun! Just a few improvements, and it'll be the best purchase I've made since Minecraft.
09-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you're having fun with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikemike View Post
While I appreciate the simplicity of the menu, I'd also really like some options. I'm not sure of the limits of UDK, but I'd be really happy if there was an option to prevent trails from disappearing.
I'd prefer this too and I think we can add it on an update. Early in development the trails were actually set this way, to only disappear when an enemy died. We made the change because having too many trails would cause the game to slow down. The problem causing that we eventually fixed, but by then I think we were just used to the disappearing trails so they stayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikemike View Post
Also, I'd really love it if you could have teams; 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 (if you can get it to run smoothly) would be incredibly awesome. More intelligent AI would be good too, but I'm not sure how easy that is to improve. =P
Teams would be cool. We're working on a team system for multiplayer and the AI will probably be able to utilize this. This might take a bit longer to get out because we'd like to try using some cool advanced AI stuff and for the first update right now are focusing on multiplayer and a Mac and PC version. You're right about music too, if we can find something that fits the game that shouldn't be any problem to add.
09-24-2011, 02:45 PM
After playing for a while, I'd say one mode I would really appreciate is a Team Deathmatch mode where there's teams with 3-5 bikes each, each bike with a certain number of lives, and you play until a team wins. The progressive mode right now is okay, but the slow start is rather, well, slow.

Have you played the game "Hard Lines" on the app store? If you have, think "Gauntlet". =D