★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What type of Game works well on the IPhone

09-20-2011, 06:21 AM
What type of Game works well on the IPhone

Hi all

I was interested in the type of game that works well on the IPhone/Ipad/ I am currently working on a simple game but it would be good to get an overall idea for future game development.

I think I read somewhere that the types of games that do well are simple and not too challenging for the user. I think the idea being that "casual" games are good to develop for the Iphone because they nice to pick up and play.

Any opinions?

Thanks

Oliver
09-20-2011, 06:46 AM
I personally think platform games work very well on iOS, obviously get the buttons right (Left/right on the left, jump/fire on the right hand side). Also think vector games look great and 'should' be much easier for a small team to create then spend days and days creating cartoons or a different style of graphics.

Doodlejump games to me (perhaps not others) are dull so please not those ! Endless running games seem to have been done to death (apart from Jetpack joyride which was excellent).

I wish there were more games based on classic old games from the 80's or 90's. As a fair few games have proven on iOS, the graphics dont have to be outstanding, its all about the gameplay. Thats why so many of us still play Space Invaders, Pacman etc, the graphics etc look dated but the gameplay is excellent.

Thats just my view, i'm a gamer in my 30's though who has been playing a ton of games from the 80's and 90's. iOS has recaptured a lot of magic for me with a huge wealth of games.

I would personally love an arcade style shoot em up such as Space Invaders (tons of clones already) but with other levels.

Eg there was a game in the arcades called Gorf which did something similar. Eg level 1 is space invaders, level 2 more galaxian (flying down to get you), level 3 could be like asteroids, level 4 you have to land your ship so its like Lunar Lander etc. A combination of classic games could be great.

Or a horizontal shoot em up (Nemesis) but at the end of the level you land your ship and then it turns into a platform game. I remember Star Wars on the original gameboy was similar to this, you drove your landspeeder around a large playing area, stop near a cave and then it became a platform jumping game. Again would love something like this

09-20-2011, 07:47 AM
Hi psj3809

Thanks for the feedback. Im 28 so I can remember the days of the snes, n64 etc .

I suppose the type of game you want to create would would also depend on the user type, for example I'm a developer at an agency in London and I do a fair bit of travelling on the underground/overground and its great to put on a game like doodle jump/flight control because I can get straight into the gameplay. The idea that im trying to beat my own high score each time is a plus as well because it encourages usage.

If I was using my IPhone for more general gaming then I would guess a more complex game would be suited.

Thanks

Oliver
09-20-2011, 09:54 AM
All games work well provided they are done right. But of course it also depends on the user (gamer).

Personally, I don't like the virtual controls of platformers so to me they don't work so well but I know people who love them. I also like more casual games on my Phone that I don't mind being interrupted during. I have an iPod Touch for the more in depth games - but that was just lucky for me to have both.

So, your question is kind of not answerable! Any game will work depending on the quality of the game and the gamer, their tastes, and how they play the game!
09-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Great thread!

I love the top down dual stick shooters. I think those play very well on iOS.
09-20-2011, 04:17 PM
The best type of game to make is the one that hasn't been done to death, and which there can be some element of novelty brought forward by a new title.
09-20-2011, 04:46 PM
I think turn-based tactics games work particularly well on any mobile platform. I think Vandal Hearts, FF Tactics, Advance Wars, etc

ROTOR GAMES dutch independent video game developer est 2010.

In development of "Final Run", 3D 3rd person driving action game for iOS since January 2011. Scheduled for release mid-February! Follow us on Twitter, Facebook!
09-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Mostly anything can work on the iOS as long as it's done right :P

Currently Enjoying: BUG HEROES 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Ninny speaks the truth.
09-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Point and "click" adventure games work great. I like playing them on my iPod Touch much more than playing them on a desktop computer. The direct interaction with my fingers on the screen really adds something for me.

Gamebooks work very well also. No need for extra supplies like pen and paper and no need to keep track of things myself. Perfect to curl up with on the couch or a comfy chair.

Think about the possibilities of the touch screen when making a game and develop from there. A game should feel natural, not forced to be "playable". I want games for my iPod Touch, not games I wish I would be playing on my desktop instead. I am not a fan of virtual buttons. Get with the times! You can touch and swipe all over the screen now. It's awesome. The screen is small, so don't put a lot of clutter on it. (Play and admire Battleheart. Mika Mobile knows about these thingies.)

Also, make sure that (automatic) saving works very well and that people can easily resume after being interrupted. Slow loading times are super annoying. I am really impatient.

Everyone likes different type of games. Why not make a game you would really like to play yourself and would prefer on you iOS device instead of on your desktop or laptop?

What is your strenght? Can you write an amazing story? Can you make super cute characters the whole world will love? Are you great at making puzzles? Can you come up with a super special and original idea for a high score game?
09-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Vertical shoot-em-ups are always great starting points for game-making. I believe the tutorial for GameMaker on the PC guides you through making a top-down shooter. On the iOS though, it is probably difficult to make a shooter with good controls. I wouldn't know because I've never made an app though

Waiting for: Chaos Rings II, Phoenix Wright 123
I will always love: Kairosoft and CAVE Co. Ltd., Capcom, Godzilab, Simogo
Feel free to add me on Gamecenter; I'm Kirbychewy!
Dodonpachi is no longer my favorite iOS game.