Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-21-2011, 08:17 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by caanerud View Post
I don't understand the file sizes for these games. Why can the SNES version fit into 1 MB?
Why does the ZX Spectrum version of many games only take 48k ?

Seriously it just depends on the media, on the SNES i'm sure they had to be a certain size, on iOS it doesnt matter so much. As the initial text says you can have the original graphics or swipe with two fingers for new improved graphics so that obviously ramps up the filesize.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:12 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/119/1195672p1.html
Quote:
Another World for iOS is an extraordinary example of a 20-year-old classic being brought into a new era with the utmost care and respect. The game also has a set of in-game achievements to complete, which brings Another World into the current generation even further. It's clear that everything about this edition has been handled by people who truly love the game. From the gorgeous graphics, to the elegant presentation and well-implemented control scheme that plays to the format's strengths, no one will ever be able to say that this was another missed opportunity. This is best version of Another World for the touch screen generation that we could have hoped for.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:41 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Figures right after I scour the web tweekin a homebrew version for the NDS to find the dat audio files!! Either way mucho epic game ....worth the money ... But it will give you a challenge like a swift kick to the rectum....
Old 09-21-2011, 12:28 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

I remember this, along with Flashback on the Amiga.

Flashback was disappointing on iOS due to controls so I hope this is better. Will pick up though.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:18 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Quote:
Originally Posted by caanerud View Post
I don't understand the file sizes for these games. Why can the SNES version fit into 1 MB? Most of the 16-bit games from back in the day look better than many 2D IOS games and they look better....and sound better....and play better....and the file sizes are tiny.
Because they could write code direct for the system as opposed to including tens of libraries, support for multiple devices/resolutions/etc. Icon art, IPA file structure, there's lots of extra overhead in an App that the earlier versions didn't have to contend with.

I remember the PC version I bought waaaay back fit on a 1.44MB floppy. That's smaller than a single HD photo taken with my iPhone4.

I bet you they cleaned up/used higher quality audio samples for this version as well, not to mention higher resolution graphics. If they're using recorded instead of generated music, there's more space too. I bet you the SegaCD version of the game is larger (including redbook audio tracks) than this. (and it's got the sequel as well! )
Old 09-21-2011, 02:41 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Youtube link | Pop Up

Haha watched this just yesterday and was thinking of playing this again. Perfect timing! Think I might pick up a pc version though. virtual controls for a game that requires hell lot of precision sounds like a bad thing =/
Old 09-21-2011, 04:05 PM

i remember the original drove me up the wall :-)

is this more playable ?
Old 09-21-2011, 05:45 PM

does the game have the copy protection where you needed to use the codex code wheel to start it up!!!!

i love this game, but you can beat it very quickly if you know how to do everything...i still remember most of it its all trial an error...i was 12 or something when it came out.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:47 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Very entertaining watching that guy play.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:06 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Downloading right now.
The best game I probably ever played (which I play at least once every year) will be soon in my pocket.
Unbelievable.