★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Developers: YOUR thoughts on game music

09-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Developers: YOUR thoughts on game music

Hello developers,

As a bit of research for a future product I would like to receive your input and thoughts on music in an app/game.

What resources do you use to obtain your music? Is it a paid source? Do you hire a composer?
What role does music play in your app/game?

I have begun the planning stages of a very affordable music package that would offer high quality royalty free music with frequent post-purchase updates and features.
I want to make a "starter pack", if you will, that indie devs could purchase for under $100 and have enough music to create their first project and start another.
Having been made redundant from work a few days ago I am starting to realise even more so now how precious budgets are.

I am curious what would developers want and expect from such a package?

Asus M3A78 Pro - Asus HD5770 - 6GB [3x2GB] Corsair RAM - AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.6 GHZ - 320GB Seagate HDD - 1TB Seagate HDD x2 (RAID-1) - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit -
Ibanez guitars, Dimarzio pickups, Laney amplification, Line 6 effects, D'addario strings and lots of Dunlop picks!
09-21-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm a developer, from a small studio.
For us, we can find simple sound effects easily online.
However, the background music are more complicated.
I have no idea how many background music in your $100 package? How long they are.

--- Game: Chinese Zombies 3D ARPG! Click To iTunes Store
--- Game: Robot Bros. 3D Action+Puzzle Game! Click To iTunes Store
---------- 108km Game Studio ----------

09-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Are you doing unique music for each developer for $100? That sounds like a very good deal if it is.

I'm lucky enough to get CoLD SToRAGE to do the music on my next game, whose work includes Lemmings, Wipeout, Formula 1, MTV Music Generator, Shadow of the Beast 2 + 3, eJay and many more. Having a name in video games helps a lot to differentiate a composer.

mobygames.com lists a Ritchie Blackmore as having worked on the Guitar Hero games. Is that you? I could see you getting a lot of work with a credit like that.
09-21-2011, 11:14 AM
That's an interesting idea, but I'm not really sure what you're offering for $100. Why would I buy a pack of generic music for $100, when I can go to a stock music site and get a specific song that matches my game for $25 or so?

I made Trainyard and Disco Zoo. You might like them!

@MattRix | @Trainyard | @Milkbag
09-21-2011, 12:35 PM
We hired composer Sean Beeson and created a soundtrack for our game. The music is used everywhere in our game especially during combat. For us, it was worthwhile to spend a significant amount of our budget on music. I felt it was more important to establish mood via music than the 3D models which we will upgrade down the road.

I've seen others offer what you're attempting, and it may be successful for some casual games especially if there's a lot of variety and the quality is great. But like ElectricGrandpa said, you're competing against the stock music sites which offer greater selection albeit at a slightly higher price. If you're new to game music composition, I would suggest working one-on-one with indie developers to build up your portfolio first.

Dangerous - Epic 3D space combat RPG
Discussion - Website - Trailer - Soundtrack & Preview
09-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Do you have any samples, or a website? Dave 2 will have some music in it, although I already have a source for that.

On a side note, I personally hate video game music 99% of the time. Every time I get a new game (iPhone, PC, whatever) the first thing I do is hit the sound options and turn music off
09-22-2011, 02:41 AM
Well as others have stated, stock music sites do offer a lot of variety. Though it can take quite a lot of time and effort to find the right fit!

So as a dev, I would be looking for music that is tailored to my specific needs rather than off the shelf. This is exactly what I will be doing for future projects.

Is this what your offering or are you thinking more of a stock music type site? Because the stock has been done already, but what might be a good halfway point would be to offer stock music that can be customized to a game/devs specific needs!
09-22-2011, 03:02 AM
I am also wondering if it's tailored or a pre-made pack.
Funny enough, we find it harder to find someone who can create good sound effects than someone who can do soundtracks and themes.

Specially since sound effects have to be tailored more carefully to a game or app and it can take way too much time to look through stock sites.

Additionally, I find it sad how low freelance musicians have to go with their fees/prices. The market seems to be very over-saturated with composers wanting to work for developers/games and movies.

Natascha "Kyena" Roosli - Rock Pocket Games
Facebook - Twitter - Oliver&Spike
09-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Kyena View Post
Additionally, I find it sad how low freelance musicians have to go with their fees/prices. The market seems to be very over-saturated with composers wanting to work for developers/games and movies.
Agreed. Most of the composers that I see out there are selling themselves for less than the prices of the stock music quoted in this thread. Even if you are an absolute beginner, if you can deliver a decent product then you should be charging at least $100/minute. Not $50 per track, or $500 for a 30 minute OST, or 'plz let me work for free'.

Last edited by spacecowgoesmoo; 09-22-2011 at 10:50 AM.
09-23-2011, 02:41 AM
I'm a composer and the other day I was close to post a new thread about how I am tired to see talented composers giving away free music tracks...or practically free.

Seriously, to all composers out there, stop giving away music, for the love of god...I am trying to pay the bills with this and when I see that, it is just like...wow...really?!

There are a lot of talented composers on this forum, and they deserve to get decent amount of money in exchange of their hard work!

Last edited by DomAjean; 09-23-2011 at 03:42 AM.