iPad Stardash (from the developers of Meganoid)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by backtothis, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #1 backtothis, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011

Stardash

Pascal Bestebroer
    Not just the looks of a classic game, also the gameplay of a classic platformer. This game is NOT EASY! you have an endl…
    TouchArcade Rating:
    $1.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Not just the looks of a classic game, also the gameplay of a classic platformer. This game is NOT EASY! you have an endless amount of lives, so you can quickly restart a level when you miss a jump, get hit by an enemy, get bitten by a plant, get hit by a spiky-ball, crushed by big statues, run onto spikes, get hit by a wasp, or any of the other many ways you’ll get stopped in your run. BUT when you do complete a level, the rush you get will keep you coming back for more, and more, and more, and.. Unlock special temple levels by finding hidden keys, unlock a flip-mode by completing a level both within the time set, and also by collecting all the coins in a level. Stardash is all about the gameplay thrown at you in awesome retro graphics and original chiptunes. ** OTHERS SAY: "all the ingredients needed for platforming excellence" - iFanzine "Orange Pixel nailed everything they were going for in this veritable symphony of old school gaming." - Appolicious "back to my early years, playing my favorite platform games" - unbound gamer "if you’re not gonna grab this, you will miss something truly wonderful" - app-score
    Information
    Seller:Pascal Bestebroer
    Genre:Action, Arcade
    Release:Sep 21, 2011
    Updated:Aug 17, 2022
    Version:2.0.4
    Size:68.5 MB
    User Rating: (4)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

HD Gameplay Trailer (iPad 2):

2. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the thread backtothis!!!!! :)

3. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Sweet. It came out afterall. Insta-buy...

4. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Overall, it's fairly diffuclt. The game is good and the controls are responsive but the stars are hard to get. (I think there are 2 "stars" you can get, one for getting all the coins and one for beating the level in 20 seconds or less). That is pretty difficult IMO.

5. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Why won't the iTunes stuff show up? Lol.

6. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51

Stardash

Pascal Bestebroer
    Not just the looks of a classic game, also the gameplay of a classic platformer. This game is NOT EASY! you have an endl…
    TouchArcade Rating:
    $1.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Not just the looks of a classic game, also the gameplay of a classic platformer. This game is NOT EASY! you have an endless amount of lives, so you can quickly restart a level when you miss a jump, get hit by an enemy, get bitten by a plant, get hit by a spiky-ball, crushed by big statues, run onto spikes, get hit by a wasp, or any of the other many ways you’ll get stopped in your run. BUT when you do complete a level, the rush you get will keep you coming back for more, and more, and more, and.. Unlock special temple levels by finding hidden keys, unlock a flip-mode by completing a level both within the time set, and also by collecting all the coins in a level. Stardash is all about the gameplay thrown at you in awesome retro graphics and original chiptunes. ** OTHERS SAY: "all the ingredients needed for platforming excellence" - iFanzine "Orange Pixel nailed everything they were going for in this veritable symphony of old school gaming." - Appolicious "back to my early years, playing my favorite platform games" - unbound gamer "if you’re not gonna grab this, you will miss something truly wonderful" - app-score
    Information
    Seller:Pascal Bestebroer
    Genre:Action, Arcade
    Release:Sep 21, 2011
    Updated:Aug 17, 2022
    Version:2.0.4
    Size:68.5 MB
    User Rating: (4)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

EDIT: Hmmm... That's odd. Btw, backtothis, have you tried Stardash yet?

7. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    #7 Echoseven, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
    It's not on the NZ Store.

Urge to impulse buy... fading...

8. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    So glad it came out tonight. That was quite a pleasant surprise.:D

9. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Amen to that! Downloading now.

10. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Game Impressions

I don't think this game is worth $2 IMO. It doesnt bring anything new to the table in terms of platformers for iOS. It is also kinda difficult as well. League of Evil surpasses this game in every aspect and League of Evil is cheaper. The bottom line is that this platformer doesn't being anything new to the table and I personally do not think this is worth the $2.

11. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    After finishing three levels, I don't (so far) find it to be too difficult. To answer the anticipated question, yes, you can move left! To me, the controls are a tad stiff (my only complaint), but I did get used to them in a short time and I'm having a blast with it. This game totally has my approval. There is replayability because I'm constantly having these, 'hey, I could have gone there' moments. There are 40 levels spread over 4 worlds. This is as close to Mario/gameboy as we've had and probably as close as we're gonna get. It satisfies my craving and I think OrangePixel did an admirable job. I'd give it a 4.5/5.

12. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Aside from difficulty, how does it handle?

13. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    This is probably what 1-bit Ninja would have been if you were allowed to move in both directions. The levels are slightly easier, but soon grow to be just as unforgiving. Controls works well. Audio is nice. Graphics go well with the game. Gameplay is what you'd expect from a platformer trying to frustrate you to death. Definitely steps up from Megnoid, which I personally hated but just downloaded again so I could give it another go. It's a game platformer-fanatics would enjoy. So, where's synthetic void?

14. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    Found one of the temple keys in the first world.

15. jjjmedia

jjjmedia Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I liked Meganoid's controls; how do this game's controls compare?

16. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    #17 Gabrien, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
    Game Impressions

Best controls in an iOS game of this type for my money. However, the ability to freely move the button location on the iPad is essential. I want to play this on the iPad but can't due to the "right" button being placed too far into the screen to reach comfortably. Can we please get an update? Really this should be standard by now.

That aside, this is quite simply flawless so far. Great level design that normally gives you at least one choice between paths to travel, and controls that have yet to make me feel like a death was due to anything other than player error. Easily my favourite of these retro platformers on the iOS at this point.

EDIT: Forgot to mention a niggle: does the "pause" button really need to be that big? I think something much smaller and more transparent would be much better. Come to think of it, the control icons themselves look a bit clunky and garish. You could easily turn the transparency up by about 50% on those as well.

17. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    What do you mean, it's hard jumping and landing on enemies? No midair correction or something?

18. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Ugh, just spent the last of my cash. :(

19. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    There was one occasion in which I was trying to get the dash and I jumped in mid air, at another time I was standing just off a platform and levitating. To me the control don't feel as fluid as say, LoE or Speedrun but those are pretty high standards of comparrison. They just feel kinda clunky. I got used to them and I really like the game, I just feel it could be a little smoother.