★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Elliott Apps
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 11.5 MB
  • Version: 1.0.1
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 4 (2)
App description: Do you enjoy explosions, rockets and overall awesome things? Have you always wanted to fly your own rocket but never could? Well now you can! In this one-of-a-kind game for the iPhone/iPod Touch, Test Launch!

In this AppStore first you actually take control of your rocket as you try to collect all the stars from each level! Sounds easy right? Think again! There are tons of obstacles blocking your path to Rocket Control Super Stardom! Things like:

Your own path (thats right no doing the same thing twice here, you actually have to be creative!)

Trees (Rockets dont like those try and avoid)

Treacherous Underwater Currents (Fun until they plow you into the edge of the screen)

Underwater mines (At least they dont explode)

Gravity (Not a bad thing until it smacks you into the face of a planet)

That list may sound scary but dont let it distract you from the 3 awesome worlds and 60 very challenging levels you have in front of you.

**Test Launch Features**

Touch and Drag Launching

Intuitive Touch Steering (ex. Touch right half of screen Turn right)

Fuel Dependant Speed (The more fuel you have, see top left corner, the faster you go)

Smooth Gameplay

Simple (Easy to pick up and play, hard to master)

For All Ages

Simple Graphics

Hours of Fun

Lots of Replay Value

Use logic, strategy, technique and finesse to crush all 60 challenging levels and reach Rocket Control Super Stardom!

elliottAPPS's comments:
Test Launch:
09-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Also if you have a chance please leave a review or rating! Thank you to everyone here at touchArcade!

09-22-2011, 12:45 AM
09-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Has anyone tried Test Launch yet?
09-22-2011, 07:01 PM
I picked it up a short while ago - it's actually quite fun!

Here's some early feedback:

The good:

I like the little touches, things like trees shaking when you hit them

Definitely unique gameplay (as far as I know), somewhat reminiscent of the light bike games in mechanic (you have a trail to avoid)

The bad:

Why can't I see GameCenter from within the game? I can turn it on and off, which is GREAT, but to see the leaderboards I need to quit and switch to the GameCenter App. Why?

There is a small loading time every time you do anything. You press the pause button in the game - half a second loading time. Hit the the menu button - half a second loading time. The menu loading is fine, but in-game there shouldn't be any delays. Look at Cut The Rope and the like - the pause menu pops up instantly, with no loading time.

The level pack select screen reacts weirdly to my swipes, I'm not sure why. If I swipe too quickly it gets confused...

Final verdict:

The gameplay is solid and really fun, marred by a few slight problems that didn't stop me coming back for more. The first few levels I played show brilliant level design and perfect difficulty, but so far I encountered a couple that only had one solution - if you don't get it the first time, you have to restart even though there are more "launches" left.

I will definitely come back and post more impressions as I progress further, but so far it's pretty fun.

Need professional proofreading, editing or writing that won't break your budget?
Contact me at youarelowonhealth.com or via PM.
09-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Echoseven thank you for the awesome review! I'm happy you like it!

I have addressed most of what you have said as I have gotten similar feedback from other players.

Update 1.0.1 (coming next week) will feature the following:

- Access to GC Leaderboards from inside the game (silly mistake on my part)
- I've been asked to eliminate the trail after the rocket explodes therefore getting rid of the situation where the user gets 'stuck'. So you will now only have to avoid the trail on each individual launch.
- I've updated some of the graphics

As for the level select screen and the loading times I will have to look into those.

Once again thank you so much for the comments and criticism, every little bit helps!

Aaron Elliott,
elliottAPPS
09-22-2011, 08:13 PM
That sounds like a great update, looking forward to it!

Need professional proofreading, editing or writing that won't break your budget?
Contact me at youarelowonhealth.com or via PM.
09-24-2011, 10:08 AM
So after a very disappointing release I have decided to make Test Launch FREE for TODAY ONLY!

PLEASE download and leave a review on iTunes.

Thank you and enjoy!

iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/test-launch/id458431991?mt=8
09-27-2011, 08:57 PM
I've forgotten to try out this game, will do so this week.

Currently learning iMaschine and Garage Band.