★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: This is it!

After over one year of devoloping the idea and realizing it in an actual game, my first Rail Drawing Shooter is finally done.

It is only one level (for now) but it shows the basic concept of a first person rail shooter in which you draw your own rail. You might ask: Why? Well.. I was looking for an alternative to dual-stick controls as I think it slows down the FPS experience. Now, you can use one thumb for looking while your second one is in charge of shooting - loosing the third thumb ( (-; ) for movement.

Feel free to try for yourself and let me know what you think!

Almost forgot the 'story':

Fall is imminent and nature's spirits (called Naturgeister) are on their way to deprive the trees from their beautiful green. You are in charge of preventing fall-ification for as long as possible because.. well, summer has been really nice, hasn't it?

AndreWeiss's comments:
In preparation of the launch of my next control mechanism experiment, I just made "Rail Drawing Shooter" available for free.

Didn't get much feedback, before, so I hope this helps (-;

I am also still looking for people interested in realizing a real game utilizing this mechanism. I live Berlin, Germany, but internationals are welcome, as well.

Here the original post:

Hey everyone,

after posting in the Promo Code thread, yesterday, here an update for all of you:

On monday, my first game "Rail Drawing Shooter - Preventing Fall" got finally available on the App Store:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rail-drawing-shooter-preventing/id464659113

My main goal was to introduce a new control mechanism, I haven't discovered anywhere else:
Instead of using your thumb to direct your player, Preventing Fall is a first person shooter in which you define where you go by switching into a bird-view mode to draw the path you would like to walk along. After switching back to first person, you can tilt your device to change speed and direction along the path. The free thumb is only in charge of shooting, while the second thumb controls the camera.

To be able to improve on the idea, I would like to get some feedback! I will add another 5 promo codes to yesterdays thread and will check back on this thread (as well as on Twitter) for some suggestions from you.

Thanks in advance

Andr W.

P.S.: It is a universal app, based on the Unity engine
12-08-2011, 04:25 AM
Update Notification Bump - RDS now free

Free for all!!!

Last edited by AndreWeiss; 12-08-2011 at 04:29 AM.
01-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Version 1.2

Hi everyone!

I just released an update to Rail Drawing Shooter:

Instead of being a searate view you have to switch to, the map is now always displayed as a transparent layer in the first-person view.
(You maybe know this from some classic RPGs)
To draw a path, just touch the crosshair (which coincides with your position on the map). This will trigger the map overlay to become less transparent so that you can see where to draw along (all one touch).

Have fun and let me know what you think!

Greets

Andr
01-27-2012, 11:43 AM

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
01-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Not sure how I missed this one. Looks like an awesome idea for a game .... looking forward to playing it later tonight.
01-27-2012, 01:32 PM
@burn: Thanks, I would like some feedback. Got about 1000 downloads by now, but only one reaction. Hope you like it.

I am also still looking for some people to develop a full fledged game utilizing this mechanics. If anybody is interested..

Greets

Andr

P.S.: Thanks also to the moderator for posting the iTunes infos. I tiried, but got frustrated failing..