★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Watee (a water physics puzzler with a cute main character)

09-22-2011, 04:05 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Watee (a water physics puzzler with a cute main character)

Guess these are their own subgenre now. Out Monday.

http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/watee-hands-on-preview

Quote:
Watee, like Cut The Rope, features an adorable cartoon character who watches in growing anticipation as you complete each puzzle. This time, your companion is a fish, and your goal is to fill his bowl full of water. You do this by tugging on a spout near the top of the screen, which will unleash streams of water straight down.

Once out of the spout, the water will splash over every obstacle in its path, like overturned dishes and stacks of glasses in the early kitchen levels. You can manipulate some of these objects to guide the water to the bowl. Even the fishbowl itself is an obstacle-- you have to fill it up accurately, or water will splash out of the top. If you run out of water before filling the bowl completely, you have to start over.

Though Watee has a routine puzzle game set-up, the water physics are really what make it worth playing. Like in other physics-based games such as Enigmo and Feed Me Oil, the water is composed of individual droplets that bounce and fall realistically. When they group together, like in a stream or in the fishbowl, they appear to move like real water.

Meanwhile, your fish will excitedly stand up when the fishbowl approaches full, or duck behind it to watch it fill with water. To us, this little fish is just as charming as Cut The Rope's Om Nom.

There are lots of copycat physics puzzlers on the App Store, but Watee borrows just a few basic ideas without feeling like a clone. The water physics and fish animations are great, and a few levels in, the challenge started to heat up with added steamers and condensers. Watee's looking like an entertaining challenge, so keep an eye out for it in the App Store next week.

Currently learning iMaschine and Garage Band.
09-22-2011, 04:36 PM
They've seem to have taken a time-tested core gameplay element and made it appealing to the mainstream audience out there. If competently done, I can see this becoming a good-sized hit on the app store.

Last edited by Ghouls'R'us; 09-22-2011 at 04:39 PM.
09-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghouls'R'us View Post
They've seem to have taken a time-tested core gameplay element and made it appealing to the mainstream audience out there. If competently done, I can see this becoming a good-sized hit on the app store.
Where's My Water's already stormed up the charts, but the Appstore had space for both Feed Me Oil and Sprinkle, maybe Watee can squeeze in as well.

Still, they have to be a little pissed they didn't launch a week early.

09-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Game's out tomorrow.

09-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Where's My water, Sprinkle, This, what else? Next up, fire physics :P

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3