★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: The cold fog blankets the villages wood piers, as you glide silently in on your skiff. For a moment, you say a silent prayer to the sea god to have guided you this far. But your gratitude wanes when the silence betrays neither sound, nor voice, nor movement from the concealed village. Now, as daylight wanes, and shadows shift in the midst ahead, you look to your companions, gather your wits and draw your weapons, in search of The Oracles Breath.

Oracle's Breath is an adventure through a series of islands to find the mythical artifact of legend. At every step in the story, you will be presented with several choices. The choices you make influence the next part of the story your see, and ultimately the success of your quest. Oracle's Breath also has strong RPG elements, and a fantastic original combat system.

This free version allows you to play through a portion of the game. In order to complete the quest, you must purchase the full story.

Dahak's comments:

I couldn't find a thread for this, so took the liberty to start one!

Trial free; In App Purchase is 1.99 USD.
09-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
I've reserved my comments for a reply, as I've been paid for work with Dark City Games in the past and I may be biased.

This is a gamebook-style Western RPG, not unlike Fabled Lands or Gamebook Adventures. Contrasted with those, this contains the most traditional pen-and-paper RPG elements yet in an iOS app. It uses the Legends of the Ancient World RPG system which is something of a "retroclone" of the 1970s RPG The Fantasy Trip (by GURPS author Steve Jackson, originally published by Metagames). The Fantasy Trip was one of a couple of RPGs (the other being Tunnels & Trolls) with as much emphasis on solitaire play as group play.

Your character does not have a character class, but has access to combat skills, talents (like general skills such as lockpicking) and magic spells. You can focus in an area or generalize by spending initial experience points. You gain XP after any fight and can spend it right away if you have enough.

Combat is somewhat tactical and is most reminiscent of the 1980s C64/Apple II games by SSI known as Phantasie.

You can explore the main island in the game without paying, the IAP is just 1.99 to unlock the rest and would be needed to complete the game. It is something of an old-school CRPG fan's wet dream.

The only downside, from some points of view, is lack of sound. I always play silent anyway, so didn't even notice until much later, but this might bother some gamers.

I recommend it most to fans of Fabled Lands, Gamebook Adventures, Fighting Fantasy/Sorcery and The Quest apps.

Favourites: KotOR, Gridlee, iDOS, Deus Ex: The Fall, Gamebook Adventures, Baldur's Gate EE, GTA: Vice City
09-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Very cool! I can always do with another gamebook on my device. Sounds like it has quite a pedigree as well.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
09-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
Very cool! I can always do with another gamebook on my device. Sounds like it has quite a pedigree as well.
Indeed. Although the system has changed in many ways from its TFT/Legends roots, it still has a degree of character design depth absent in other gamebook apps.

Favourites: KotOR, Gridlee, iDOS, Deus Ex: The Fall, Gamebook Adventures, Baldur's Gate EE, GTA: Vice City
12-08-2011, 11:39 AM
i downloaded it and so far seems like a good game, but i have a question, how does the save sistem work? i got killed a couple of times and always started from the very beginning