★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Someone please explain HOW this Pool app is "3D"!

11-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Someone please explain HOW this Pool app is "3D"!

There is yet another Pool game app available from today called Billiards , and I am really puzzled by it's description- see if you can spot the problem...

"Easy-to-play 3D computer simulation"

Picture from iTunes...

There are a few screenshots of actual game graphics, and they are all overhead views, just like this one. So how in Gods underpants can they say it's 3D?
11-10-2008, 12:12 PM
The ball has some shading so it's 3D
I think it's hard to tell from screenshot, maybe the balls are rendered in 3D like that one air hockey game (can't remember the name) which looks 2D but actually 3D.

Last edited by don_k; 11-10-2008 at 01:55 PM.

11-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkei View Post
maybe the balls are rendered in 3D like that one air hockey game (can't remember the name) which looks 2D but actually 3D.
Yeah but in this case calling it 3D just because of how the balls are rendered (if indeed that is the case) is a load of bo!!ox, isn't it? They shouldn't get away with it! I shall write to my MP!

[EDIT] On a side note Donkei, probably not worth quoting my post if that post is the only other bugger in the thread mate- I think we know which post you are referring to in that situation

Last edited by wastedyuthe; 11-10-2008 at 12:29 PM.
11-10-2008, 12:22 PM
What? Are u blind, mate? Look at the "roundness" of the balls. Also, the depth and contrast of the pockets is beyond my understanding of Newtonian Physics...I'm guessing once u actually play the game it goes into a 3D view, u know, as u hit the ball and all, u might see it from a 1st person perspective and thus in 3D. U'd have to buy it to find out...
11-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everydaynormalguy View Post
What? Are u blind, mate? Look at the "roundness" of the balls.
Haha! You do make me laugh, pal.

I very much doubt any of the game is in ACTUAL 3D. If so, why don't they have a screenshot showing that? You suggest buying it to find out- that's actually a serious point. What if someone bought this expecting it to actually be in 3D- first person views and all- they would be well within their rights to ask for their money back if these screenshots are anything to go by, in my opinion.
11-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
I very much doubt any of the game is in ACTUAL 3D.
Just take a look at the last screenshot. Look at the marvelous shading of the white ball, if that's not 3D then the acceleration due to gravity on earth is not 9.81 m/s^2...Oh well, i'm happy playing Adrenaline Pool, even if it's not 3D.
11-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Looks like Virtual Pool is still the only actual 3d pool app worth playing - and now the price is only $3 (DAMN!). Makes me wonder why we have so many pool games and so far only one company making pinball games.
11-10-2008, 01:33 PM
As the first of it's kind for the iPhone, launching this game turns the iPhone into the revolutionary gaming machine that we all know it is by floating by your feet, projecting a full scale holographic Pool table onto your floor, allowing you to not only see the action of pool as if it were real, but then using the holographically rendered pool cues, play against opponents right there in your living room. I have constructed an extremely accurate photo redndition of exactly how this plays out.

11-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPodder View Post
As the first of it's kind for the iPhone, launching this game turns the iPhone into the revolutionary gaming machine that we all know it is by floating by your feet, projecting a full scale holographic Pool table onto your floor, allowing you to not only see the action of pool as if it were real, but then using the holographically rendered pool cues, play against opponents right there in your living room. I have constructed an extremely accurate photo redndition of exactly how this plays out.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...n/a6181162.jpg
Yeah, that's pretty much what mine looks like.

I admire your professionalism in your rendering. Is that a CAD drawing?
11-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPodder View Post
WOW! That looks amazing! And I thought the 3D effects of Billiards looked good! When is your app available NJPodder? I'm gonna BUY BUY BUY!