Cerulean Moon (a platformer where you slide the world with your finger)

12-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Cerulean Moon (a platformer where you slide the world with your finger)

Hi everyone,

I'm Nacho, developer on Cerulean Moon, a 2D platformer where you slide the floor with your finger:

Here's the game in motion:

The game feels like a traditional 2D platformer, without resorting to virtual d-pads which don't work so great in my opinion. Anyway I came up with this control system where you slide the floor left and right to move along. The following video explains it best!

If people are interested in following development more closely, I have a low-traffic twitter account and a facebook page where I post dev stuff almost exclusively. So feel free to get on those.

Cheers!

Last edited by nachobeard; 04-27-2015 at 05:40 AM.
12-05-2014, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachobeard View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm Nacho, single developer on Cerulean Moon, a 2D platformer where you slide the floor with your finger:

YouTube: video

I'm trying to make a mobile/tablet game which feels like a traditional 2D platformer, without making use of a virtual d-pads which don't feel so great in my opinion.
Anyway I came up with this control system where you slide the floor left and right to move along. It's kinda weird to explain so I made a video... I hope you find it interesting!

The art is all placeholder but I'm going to start working with a very talented pixel artist soon. I'm so looking forward to sharing our progress on the game!

I'm also looking for people to test the game (iPhone5s or better, iPad3 or better required). Please let me know if you might be interested! It's nothing too major, just try it out and tell me how you found it in one or two sentences.

Here are some neat animated GIFs from the game:

Thanks!
Ok, now I have to see these controls for myself. Count me in!

12-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpepper43 View Post
Ok, now I have to see these controls for myself. Count me in!
cool, welcome!

do you have a testflight account?
this is the link to sign up for testing:
http://tflig.ht/1rUOGqb

let me know if you need help with something!
(you can email me on <my toucharcade username>@gmail.com

thanks!
12-06-2014, 10:04 AM
The control scheme sounds somewhat intriguing, I signed up and I hope to be accepted (I may have signed up twice by mistake, not sure). Best of luck pulling it off and if it's as good as it sounds, day one purchase for sure.
12-06-2014, 01:19 PM
hey,

shadowgamerr and coolpepper43 have been added to the testflight thing, you should be able to download the game now!

it'd be cool if you could let me know if the controls feel ok, and if you can please send me a screenshot of the area wherever you get bored or frustrated with the game. you can post it here or just send it to <myusername>@gmail.com whichver is most convenient.

thanks!
12-07-2014, 04:00 AM
I gave it a try just now to see how it feels and I can tell you the level design ain't bad, the save points could be better though. I got to the bees with little to no trouble but, and it's a big but here, I think the whole dragging must be limited in terms of speed as when you start dragging it can get very chaotic if you drag very fast and it can result in unpleasant results. I tried to close the game and try again and it took me from the beginning (not much of a surprise) and playing it again got me the same strategy and results (with little to no differencies). I would love to see some secret areas of sorts, and to see how much of an impact some items would make if you have this planned.

I will give it another try in a few days to see how I will approach it differently.

Also, a little suggestion regarding device support: you should try to cover a wider array (at least iphone 5 too if not 4s and iPad 2 too) as you want to reach as much of an audience as possible.

Looking forward to how it will evolve.
12-08-2014, 12:55 AM
I've just signed up for a test copy cos the controls sound really interesting, definitely a watchlist item. Hope I could try it out!
12-08-2014, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgamerr View Post
I gave it a try just now to see how it feels and I can tell you the level design ain't bad, the save points could be better though. I got to the bees with little to no trouble but, and it's a big but here, I think the whole dragging must be limited in terms of speed as when you start dragging it can get very chaotic if you drag very fast and it can result in unpleasant results. I tried to close the game and try again and it took me from the beginning (not much of a surprise) and playing it again got me the same strategy and results (with little to no differencies). I would love to see some secret areas of sorts, and to see how much of an impact some items would make if you have this planned.

I will give it another try in a few days to see how I will approach it differently.

Also, a little suggestion regarding device support: you should try to cover a wider array (at least iphone 5 too if not 4s and iPad 2 too) as you want to reach as much of an audience as possible.

Looking forward to how it will evolve.
Hi!

I'll bear your comments in mind, many thanks for your time.
12-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Fascinating. I wonder what a boss fight would be like with that style of control.
12-09-2014, 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachobeard View Post
Hi!

I'll bear your comments in mind, many thanks for your time.
To expand on the save points, what I meant was that you should limit them a bit, they seem to be too many at the moment. I'm not sure if it's intentional for testing purposes or not, but either way it's one for the future.

I can't wait to see the progress on it.