★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Learning About Gaming - iPhone Game Question

09-28-2011, 06:38 PM
Learning About Gaming - iPhone Game Question

Hey All!

I'm currently (slowly) teaching myself to program in the hopes of building iphone games one day. I'm also freelancing doing marketing for a few development shops and other game-related companies, and I have a quick question:

If you were to change an 'icon' or some 'artwork' inside an iphone game, would the end-user have to download a patch or update on their phone to see it, or could they simply restart the application?

ie: if Angry Birds made one of the birds a turkey for Thanksgiving, or a Reign Deer for Christmas?

Hope this makes sense! Thanks!
09-28-2011, 09:35 PM
It all depends. If you had a character within your game where the image that represented it was pulled from a web server, sure.

Although this could give you a way to update content without relying on Apple's approval process, you do have some possible pitfalls:
  • No or slow network speeds
  • The user won't know if an update is available since it's bypassing the App Store
  • Requirement of a server
  • May miss out on press when a new update is avail. on the App Store

And I'm sure there are others.

I'm not saying this is a bad approach, I'm just brining to light some issues you may encounter.

Also, the actual game's icon isn't one of the graphics that can be changed remotely.

09-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Thank you so much that really helps!

Your last comment confused me a bit, what do you mean by the main game icon?

I'm just talking about changing backgrounds, potential objects or pieces, to something holiday themed or something like that.
09-28-2011, 10:24 PM
I was talking about the application's icon, the one you see on your iPhone's home screen.
09-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Thanks so much you've been an amazing help!
09-29-2011, 12:36 AM
Anything else maybe some more levels and change interface to look better

Everyday is wonderful!
09-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Another thing to note is that with iOS 5 Apple is bringing patch updates, where people wont have to download your WHOLE game all over again when you do updates.

The simple download a patch to update say version 1 to version 2.