★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Defend! New to appstore.

11-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Defend! New to appstore.

Has anyone jumped on this yet? It looks interesting. Graphics have a geometry wars look. Something interesting from the screenshot is that under the label of lives, there is 6.7 billion some lives. Of course this is the lives of those living on planet Earth, but not sure how this will work in the game. Any thoughts.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=295528445&mt=8
11-10-2008, 05:42 PM
so is this a tap tap stlye game, or a slide glide style game, similar to missle defense but sliding an ever steady stream of bullets unto unexpecting invaders

it looks good, but i sense that my [not necessarily yours] replayability may suffer and i may buy and forget about this game...but i would love to see a video to prove myself wrong

11-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Veeeery nice graphic and controls but it's too hard I can reach only level 3 or 4.
I think a few power-ups would make it better, and more colors too, there are only red and blue.
11-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stemilan0 View Post
Veeeery nice graphic and controls but it's too hard I can reach only level 3 or 4.
It should noted that this guy can only score 500 on Zombie Attack.

GameCenter: NotYou_ver1.0
11-10-2008, 06:06 PM
auch, touchè

hold on hold on I was at level 8!

Last edited by stemilan0; 11-10-2008 at 06:59 PM.
11-10-2008, 06:24 PM
I bought it and tried it. It's definitely worth getting. It had me shouting swear words as I tried not to die. That's a good sign.

The gameplay is unique. It seriously reminds me of writing my name in the snow. You know what I'm talking about. That's not the weirdest part though. I won't give it away, but you'll be reminded of biology class... a lot.
(edit: I will give it away. It looks like sperm attacking an egg for most of the game so far.

The orientation changes after every level, so you have to rotate the phone or iPod to match it. Around level 7 or so, you're in the middle, which means you have to rotate the phone while playing. That's the part where I started swearing.

The gameplay is very simple, but that's a good thing in this case. I'd put this in a category with Mazefinger.

I definitely recommend it. Everyone needs to buy this and Zombie attack. I don't think you can get anything better for $2.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the levels are random. I played it again and got to the same point, but never came across the level where my planet was in the middle of the screen. The other levels looked different too.

GameCenter: NotYou_ver1.0

Last edited by NotYou; 11-10-2008 at 10:08 PM.
11-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Just bought it. Thanks for everyone who commented. It is definitely worth the $.99. Very nice graphical style.
11-10-2008, 07:03 PM
How do you control it? Are the controls good? Otherwise it looks pretty good.
11-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Save the Planet!

I just got the game as well and I really like it. It's very original and a fun and well worth the buck.

For me one of the best features was how they handled the "health meter". In this game you've got a count of how many lives your planet has -- and then you watch it go down as the aliens get past you. It's one thing to see your health bar go down, but another thing all together to see that you missing that one guy just cost 100,000 people their lives! I was really freaking out when I'd realized that I'd already lost over 4 million people! That beats the old health bar hands down!

And, yes... it does look like you're playing some sort of Safe Sex game and trying to keep the sperm away from the egg... it took me a while to get that visual out of my head! But after I lost a few million people from my planet I was back on track.

Definitely worth a pick up!
11-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Looks interesting, might need to check it out