★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iOS vs Consoles : a worthy battle?

10-01-2011, 02:23 PM
iOS vs Consoles : a worthy battle?

I was a console gamer through and through - a couple of years ago nearly all of my gaming experience was on consoles with the occasional session on pc. Now iOs has completely changed the way I play; my daily gaming tends to be on my iPod touch with the occasional session on a Xbox360 game. Although I still love the xbox, iOS suits me better as I find playing on my iPod fits in better with my life now - full-time work, a partner and family.

I've also found I'm playing a much wider variety of games on iOS, mainly because there's so much there at such a low cost. The time I spend on the xbox tends to be on bigger more mainstream 'blockbuster' games.

Has iOS changed anybody elses gaming habits? Has iOS become your gaming machine of choice, and are consoles losing out to mobile devices? And are mobile devices going to be better than consoles at providing a varied gaming experience?

Forget the United Nations - the AppStore can bring us all together on a global scale, as we all, as day dawns in whatever country we live in, get to experience the wonder that is a new game on our iOS devices...

Last edited by Prhaber; 10-01-2011 at 02:25 PM.
10-01-2011, 02:28 PM
I used to play on my JAVA phone besides CONSOLES/PC ,so no !!

10-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Not really I've started drifting back to proper consoles but I do like the Ipod for kairosoft type games. To be honest I'm using my PSP more than my ipod lately as well.

It's a nice device to have in your pocket but I think with games you get what you pay for with a few exceptions.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out
10-01-2011, 03:06 PM
To be honest I spend more time now on my iPad than I do on any on the consoles I own. You could say I turned to the dark side a couple of years ago when I brought a 3rd gen iPod touch. I couldn't believe what I was seeing on the app store. iOS fits perfectly round home life.
I've also played more varied games than I would on a console. The last big game I played was Assassins Creed Brotherhood on PS3.
After the experience I've had with the botched 3DS release I'm not looking at replacing any of my home consoles when the next gen arrives
10-01-2011, 03:11 PM
The PS2 was the last thing I owned and I got rid of it 4 years ago. Since than I haven't had the time or intrest in video games. The games I saw coming out were not that interesting to me and to much money. I wanted an iPod classic for Christmas cause I needed the space and wasn't interested in apps. Got a Touch instead and been playing on it since. Most of what I do is gaming on my iPod. I love the variety and the games are a lot of fun. I have always been more of a casual gamer but IOS got me liking games again. With a wife and kids it's perfect for what I need.
10-01-2011, 03:13 PM
This discussion comes up a lot, but I just thought I'd chime in and say that I play almost exclusively on ios, since I was not really much of a gamer before at all. Obviously, there are very few console level experiences, but the fun factor is here and better for me personally, and I just don't have the time to sit at a console. The way I see it going right now, there is absolutely massive potential for the ipad right now, and it could easily offer pretty immersive experiences. I don't think the ipod iphone ever will by themselves to the same degree, but eventually I could see the ipod/iphone paired with apple tv (or maybe cheaper airplay only device) using airplay having some mssive potential. I am surprised this is hardly ever discussed, but I really see this becoming huge if it cathes on. The ability to play games in your pocket anywhere, and then pick right up and play them on your massive TV screen in minutes with no setup just seems like it could work well with some games. I just don't how mainstream it could become, and if apple would ever push such a thing (like they are kind of doing on the Ipad).

Currently Playing: Pocket RPG, Tentacle Wars, Oh My Heroes, Minigore 2, Mini Motor Racing, Eufloria, Swordigo
10-01-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm in the same boat as you Prhaber. Ever since the introduction of the App Store, the convenience of iOS gaming and the ability to purchase so much for such a low price has dominated my handheld/console gaming time.

I was thoroughly excited when I got my 3DS recently, but that was only short lived. It's hard to purchase a $40 game now when I consider that I could pick up at least 40 smaller games that would be just as entertaining if not more so. I know the argument will always swing that iOS gaming isn't "true" gaming and that iPhones, iPod Touches and iPads aren't gaming devices. If that statement is true, then what exactly am I playing 99% of the time, fake games?

I don't like to pigeon hole any person into a gamer or non-gamer. I think that if you enjoy games, any games, that it should be enjoyed on the platform of your choice. They all have their pros and cons, the same for iOS devices.

All I know is that I was a Chucky Cheese waiting for a Birthday party to end and I had an absolute blast being able to play my iPod Touch. Yes a 3DS/DS/PSP would have worked just as well, but it comes down to absolute convenience and fun.

Gamecenter: MicroByte
Jetpack Joyride: all 125 medals :: Golden Tophat winner :: Special Half-Brick Prize
Playing: Sonic Racing Transformed | Giant Boulder of Death | Dead Trigger 2 | Jetpack Joyride
10-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Reminds of this Penny Arcade strip.
Well, you buy one 3DS game, and I'll buy forty games on my phone.

We'll see who has more "fun."
10-01-2011, 06:44 PM

You can't compare them.

Betas: Victory Day, Victory March, Zombwich, Mission Europa, Shadow Era, Slice It!, Baseball Superstars 2011, Queen's Crown, Aralon: Sword and Shadow, Zombie Runaway, Third Blade, Tower Defense: Lost Earth
10-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Not even comparable to handheld gaming, no where close to consoles.