★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Atari Football ($0.99 sale)

04-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Atari Football ($0.99 sale)

Link $2.99 26.4MB

Looks cool. I am downloading it now.

Quote:
Based off the table top version you loved as a kid, Atari Football for the iPhone and iPod Touch amps up the game with a new look and feel for the new platform! Name your team, pick your logo, and customize your helmet before you crush your opponent. Catch the The Bomb or Blitz the QB to defeat your friend via local Wifi Multiplayer!

- Multiplayer: 2 player local WiFi
- Customizable teams
o Choose your helmet and stripe color
o Choose from 11 logos
o Name your team
- 3 different power ups
o Turbo Rush: Run super fast!
o Big Helmet: Increased size! Stun any 3 opponents you hit.
o Sure Hands: Magnet-like hands make catching and stealing the ball easy.
- Weather effects
- Customizable game play options
o Change the Game Duration
o Adjust the Play Clock
o Control how often power-ups can be used

Developed by Griptonite Games

/l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Last edited by starjimstar; 04-30-2009 at 05:42 PM.
04-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Why didn't they just make another "Backyard" game for football? Anyways, I'll hold out. I can wait until Madden to get my fix of football on my iPod.

Plus+/OpenFeint Username: gscal

04-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Wow, I'm surprised this game didn't get more publicity, especially being from Atari, but for 3 bucks and Madden coming out "soon", I'll have to wait for a couple reviews.
04-30-2009, 05:49 PM
developed by: Griptonite games???

That's odd. Why would atari publish and not develop a game?
04-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscal View Post
Why didn't they just make another "Backyard" game for football? Anyways, I'll hold out. I can wait until Madden to get my fix of football on my iPod.
The game is by no means meant to be a full-featured football sim like Madden, but rather an update to Atari's 1979 arcade game. We had previously done similar updates for Atari on Breakout, Missile Command and Centepede. I think the game is really fun, but I don't want anyone to go into their purchase with the wrong expectations.

EDIT: I forgot that Atari bought the Backyard series off of Humongous, however this title fits into the rest of the "Atari Classics" iPhone series, i.e. doing updates of their arcade games.

Last edited by Saucepolicy; 04-30-2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: wrong info
Quote:
Originally Posted by foppajoe View Post
http://www.griptonite.com/games/view.php?platform=51 The other games.
I thought it was about football...

Disappointed.
04-30-2009, 05:53 PM
It is football. By the way isn't it going to be madden 10. That's like 5 months

LiamWUL Games Development
Gamecenter: walsh06
04-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucepolicy View Post
The game is by no means meant to be a full-featured football sim like Madden, but rather an update to Atari's 1979 arcade game. We had previously done similar updates for Atari on Breakout, Missile Command and Centepede.

As for the "Backyard" series, that's owned by Humongous, another Washington-area game developer.
Looks like the graphics were improved Anyways, are you the dev? You sound like it...

Plus+/OpenFeint Username: gscal
04-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foppajoe View Post

Atari is mostly a publisher now and has been for years.

"The company that currently bears the name Atari Inc. was founded in 1993 under the name GT Interactive. IESA acquired a 62% controlling interest in GT Interactive in 1999, and proceeded to rename it Infogrames, Inc.[9] After IESA's acquirement of Hasbro Interactive and its related Atari properties in 2001, Infogrames, Inc. intermittently published Atari branded titles for Infogrames Interactive. In 2003, Infogrames Inc. licensed the Atari name and logo from Atari Interactive and changed its name to Atari Inc.. On October 11, 2008, Infogrames completed its acquisition of Atari, Inc., making it a wholly owned subsidiary." -- source Wikipedia