★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: StarSmasher roadmap

08-04-2008, 02:22 PM
StarSmasher roadmap

I wanted to let you guys know the short term release road map for StarSmasher.

1.0.2 released
The inverted controls should now be available on the App Store via an update.

1.0.3 in review:
-A new class of grey asteroid that is virtually indestructible (with normal weapons).
-More feedback when you are hit and/or you hit the minelayer.
-New “pretty” menus which really help make the game look polished. (I'm attaching a screenshot)

1.0.4 in development:
I still haven’t quite figured out how to add a “story” but I’m working on it. I imagine the 1.0.3 update will be available on Thursday (hopefully) so I’m shooting for having some basic levels by then (its going to take a slight redesign of the game engine, I had really imagined a single level game when I designed it). I’m thinking about splitting it into a level-based mode and a “free fly” mode which will basically be the same as the 1.0.3 update.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	menu.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	3  
08-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Looks promising, and it's nice to be getting even more value out of our $2!!

I'm just installing 1.0.2 now; I'm anxious to put the inverted controls to use!

08-04-2008, 06:52 PM
None

I personally think that this version should be priced at $0.99. Then after when you come out with a story, and a polished menu you could vamp up the price as StarSmasher2.
08-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkphotograph View Post
I personally think that this version should be priced at $0.99. Then after when you come out with a story, and a polished menu you could vamp up the price as StarSmasher2.
This game shoudl be priced at $0.99 when Tetris costs 10x as much?! I mean, I'm all for lower prices, but I think this app is priced fairly ATM. Since we will get the updates for free (plus the enjoyment of being able to play the game in its current state in the meantime) I don't think requesting lower pricing for early adopters is, in this case, necessary.
08-04-2008, 10:57 PM
We can argue til we're blue in the face about prices, but it's simply too subjective. The market sets the price, and the developer's willingness to adjust the price up or down.

My personal opinion about the price is that it is very reasonable, especially if the game gets updated and gets even better. I haven't tried this new update yet, because I had to restore my iPhone for the 3rd time (fingers crossed this 2.0.1 firmware fixes my problem.) But judging by the roadmap, I'd say this game is getting more promising all the time.

StarSmasher is a game in a pretty new kind of genre for the iPhone. The developer has nothing to go on, except gut instinct and what he considers fun. Give it time, and we'll see more space shooters on the iPhone, I bet.

Matt

Last edited by MattB; 08-04-2008 at 10:59 PM.
08-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Star Smasher is doing quite well, up to #43 amongst all paid apps in App Store.

Congrats!

arn
08-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Ilounge also featured star smasher as an iphone gem

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...pples-devices/

keep up the great work!
08-07-2008, 11:41 PM
To the developer:

I have purchased the game and have a suggestion.

I believe that the incoming objects are too fast and too many. Even on easy mode (i actually havent' tried the harder modes to see if that affects speed) there are just too much objects on the screen moving towards you that you can't really appreciate what it going on. I think there should be half the objects and half the speed on the easy mode.

I hope you coniser this and woudl like to see if others here agree.

Thanks..
08-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippyjun View Post
I believe that the incoming objects are too fast and too many.
For free-flight mode this isn't going to change. I've been playing on hard and its amazing how quickly you can adapt to the gameplay. If I play on easy now I feel like I'm just plodding along. Since some people really seem to like it as it is, I'm going to try not to mess with the free-flight mode anymore and just add new gameplay modes.

This will probably change for the level based mode that I'm working on now. In fact, I've already reduced the number of active asteroids in the level based modes from 50 to 30, which does feel a lot easier to fly through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn
Star Smasher is doing quite well, up to #43 amongst all paid apps in App Store.

Congrats!
Thanks! I couldn't believe it. I've had a lot more response to the game than I was expecting. =D

@VegantTnT, Thanks I hadn't seen that review yet. I'm trying to keep an eye on all the reviews so that I can continue to improve.

Just for the record, when I released the game, I THOUGHT that it was done. I think when you've got your head down in the trenches coding on something you lose site of the big picture if you aren't careful. If you like what you've coded you start to imagine everyone will and you stop thinking about things that still aren't ready. This has been a major learning experience for me in many ways. Probably the most important thing I learned is this:

BETA TEST BETA TEST BETA TEST BETA TEST.

But ah well, you live and learn. At least people seem to be fairly gracious about the fact that I'm pushing a lot of updates to address issues. The next update will take a little longer for two reasons: I want to make the levels worthwhile and its going to take some time (invertible controls=easy coding), and I had my undergraduate thesis defense yesterday and a final paper due today so I've been scrambling to get all of that done and haven't had time this week to work on SS.
08-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Send a message via AIM to mikeadams
thanks for the updates. personally i like when we can discuss issues with the dev on a personal level. i like even more when the dev takes interest in this (like you have).

im glad i purchased starsmasher and i play it every day.