★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Dominate -- Logic Game Featured on Appstore

04-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Dominate -- Logic Game Featured on Appstore

Wow. I'm glad I found this. Looks like a very good game, in which you have to figure out the layout of dominos (you can see each half of every domino, but do not know where they connect). You do this by using logic, as there as to be one of every kind of domino. Looks very good.

App store link

App store description:
Quote:
Dominate is a logic puzzle that uses a standard 'double six' set of 28 dominoes. The puzzle board represents all of the 28 dominoes from 0:0 to 6:6 placed next to each other in an 8 by 7 grid. The problem is, you can't see which squares join to which others to form the 28 dominoes.

Your task is find those links, by applying logic to determine a layout for the entire board such that each domino is used only once.

FEATURES:
+ Auto-generated boards
+ An almost limitless number of puzzles
+ Inbuilt solver provides hints and a target time to beat
+ Full tutorial to help you learn the game
+ Tracks your progress, keeping puzzles challenging
+ Choose your own difficulty level from the Settings screen
+ Pause the game to easily see your progress

TIMING & HINTS:
Dominate times your game, adding a penalty for each time you use a hint. It also rates each puzzle it generates to give you a target time specific to that puzzle. Once you are regularly beating your target time, you will progress to a new level where Dominate makes things more difficult by giving you less time to solve puzzles.

You can also choose the level you want to play at from the Settings screen. However. if all you want to do is solve puzzles and you don't care how long it takes, that's cool, you will still be able take advantage of the virtually limitless number of puzzles in the game.

LEARN MORE:
Check out the Dominate Blog at:

http://dominate.talibard.com/blog/

for news, information, and hints about the game

---------------------------------------------
COMING SOON:

+ Undo and Redo
+ Turn off the timer
+ Clearer drawing of line 'notes'

---------------------------------------------
Screenshots:

04-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyman View Post
Wait a minute, are you the dev?
He is not a dev.

Plus+/OpenFeint Username: gscal

04-30-2009, 08:10 PM
i dont know. Looks a little too stressful for me. I dont really like logic that much, but it can be fun.
04-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPyhourreviews View Post
i dont know. Looks a little too stressful for me. I dont really like logic that much, but it can be fun.
Well, I really enjoy logic games such as sudoku. I think I may give this a try
04-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Wow, it looks like my kind of game.

I wonder if there is a list that shows the available tiles and which ones you've already selected and which ones you need. Even though you highlight them in pairs it doesn't look like they have an outline to show how they are paired.
05-01-2009, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
Even though you highlight them in pairs it doesn't look like they have an outline to show how they are paired.
You have to look REALLY closely at the screenshots, they do show how the tiles are paired. Look at the second screenshot:
The 0-6 has a black line between the 0 and the 6, they are one tile. Below the 0 and the 6 is a blue line (it's a bit wider than the black line), so that seperates tiles. The two tiles below that are 2-1 and 6-2. I agree that some popup screen with the tiles that have been used already, would be nice, if it isn't included already.

Price is $1,99 by the way.

Edit - here is an enlarged screenshot so you can see it more clearly. Click on it to enlarge the thumbnail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dominate.png
Views:	4
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	3384  

Stefan

Last edited by spmwinkel; 05-01-2009 at 12:48 AM.
05-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Awsome Hint System!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
Wow, it looks like my kind of game.

I wonder if there is a list that shows the available tiles and which ones you've already selected and which ones you need. Even though you highlight them in pairs it doesn't look like they have an outline to show how they are paired.
Yes, when you touch the pause button all available Dominos are shown and those which are already marked, are darkend.

I bought it and don't regret it!
Its an awsome logic puzzle/pattern recognition game.
And it has the best hint system i've ever seen in a puzzle game, period!
This is because when using a hint, not only are your presented with the hint, but with the logic why this is a hint! You don't have to guess why this domino is exactly at that place, but you are told the why's and because's!
Together with the good tutorial and the hint system one can grasp the game's logic easily.
I've played completed about three games. Each of them took me 20 to 30 min.
About 5 games I had to forsake, because I had overseen some possible doubles in the beginning. This was bad, because Dominate does not have an undo feature (currently; the dev already mentioned in iTunes, that this will come in an update).
Another (small) drawback is the color with which not-possible-tiles are marked. It's currently (dark) blue and nearly not visible (see the pics from spmwinkel), this will also be chaned by an update.

Overall: If you like puzzles, you should keep an eye on this one! 5 Stars easily!

EDIT: You can see two hints in the attached pics 1 and 3, pic 2 shows the results of the hint in pic 1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.png
Views:	1
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	3458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038.png
Views:	1
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	3459   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039.png
Views:	2
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	3460  

Add me: GameCenter: Crypton72
Agon|CloudCell|GameloftLive!|OpenFeint|Plus+: Crypton
Proud Member of Touch Arcaders Against Piracy!
Follow me on Twitter!

Last edited by Crypton; 05-03-2009 at 09:40 AM. Reason: added title
05-03-2009, 10:56 AM
2 Questions:

1) Does the game save your state when the program exits?
2) Can you listen to your own music while playing?

Thanks, Michael
05-03-2009, 11:02 AM
good questions !

when the answer to those is yes i'm sold !

Stop viewing Signatures
->editoptions->Scroll down to "Thread Display Options"->Uncheck "Show Signatures"->Scroll down, hit "Save Changes"
05-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soup View Post
when the answer to those is yes i'm sold !
I decided to TOFTT and purchased it myself.

The answer to both questions is yes. You can play your own music, and it does save and restore your state.

Michael