★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How to Bring Myself to Clear Apps?

10-06-2011, 01:14 PM
How to Bring Myself to Clear Apps?

I have this thing about deleting apps. I have hundreds on my phone and I want to start cleaning house for when the new iPhone comes out (I have a 16GB 3G S). I can't reason with myself as to why I should delete something. I think of why I should and always picturing myself playing that game later at some time (even though I never do).

What kind of questions do you ask yourself before clearing a game off of your phone? Perhaps with a checklist of questions I will efficiently clear my phones space up. I'm too torn, hah.

ID on GameCenter: Joshnsuch

Mention you're from TA if you send a request. This would please me.
10-06-2011, 01:22 PM
It's tough.

I made a Now Playing folder with my biggest apps to encourage me to finish them. (You can sort apps by size in iTunes under the Applications tab, which shows installed file sizes...)

Also, I don't install more than one Gameloft game at a time (I'm a couple behind now thanks to 99-cent sales )

I wish there was a way to save app data aside from your backup - I'd be more than happy to remove an app and bring it back later. For example, I removed Infinity Blade after beating the first expansion - am I going to start from scratch to play with all the new stuff? Probably not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

10-06-2011, 01:29 PM
whatever I haven't played in over 2-3 weeks, and doesnt look like it's going to get played anytime soon, gets removed. I can always reinstall later.

I end up downloading a lot of rubbish that's free or 1$ and probably play them once or twice. so no point keeping them on my device.

Playing: Ski Safari, Polara, Girls Like Robots, Dynamite Jack, Monster Flip, Polymer, Super Mole Escape, Dream of Pixels, Radballs
10-06-2011, 02:23 PM
I know the feeling... I just choose by how often i play that specific game.. If i can answer to myself that i probably won't play it in the next week then it can be deleted... Or when i didn't even play a game in a long time and it's just there..

My iPhone's second page is my VIP page, where only my most worthy games go which i won't delete for a long time that's sure. A game has to be really fun to earn a place there.

Openfeint: littlezoe2
GameCenter: LittleZoeee
Currently Playing: Ghost Trick
10-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Except for saved games and unlocked things, you can re-download the games anytime. There are some larger games I have finished (such as hidden picture or adventure games) and deleted - knowing I can redownload them anytime I want to replay them. If you have paid to unlock some games, losing the data is not that big of a deal - unless you are still wanting the game to keep track of time played, how many of each thing earned/found, number of deaths, etc. If you have some games you have never really played, never got too far with, or have already completed, then deleting them would not hinder your future gameplay.

Some games are now saving progress across devices through Gamecenter or some other social network. Those ones you can delete, knowing that when you redownload them, you will be back where you were before. For example, Gun Bros. I don't know if they have a time limit they keep the data though. I bought the Treasure Trove for Bug Heroes, so if I wanted to delete that game, I will be able to play every character, tower, level, etc. I could before - though I would lose data such as number of bugs killed, how much experience, etc. But everything would still be unlocked when I redownloaded it.

Just some examples. I have the same dilemma: what to delete. Oh, I forgot to add: don't remove the game from Gamecenter, and you will keep certain data that will still be in the game when you play later. My guess is that most of that data is kept on your particular device(s), BUT I know there are some games that sync data and it is stored in Gamecenter itself, such as Jetpack Joyride. Hope my ramblings made sense.

Gamecenter Id: Mr. Grizzly II
10-06-2011, 03:43 PM
If you're struggling with a 16 GB, imagine how much of a pain it is on my 8GB. I'm constantly having to make decisions on what to keep/delete (and sometimes regret it when the game I made room for sucks).

As with another poster above, I usually don't install more than one or two "big" games (ie., Gameloft/EA) at a time. I've gotten several $.99 games from sales that I still have never installed. I know it sounds trivial but that's why I get upset when I see a casual game that seems way too big for what it is (Spy Mouse was a prime example IMO).

Anyway, I do wish it would get to the point where all games would have "cloud" saves so that when you redownload them, you can start again where you left off.
10-06-2011, 04:24 PM
I don't download free games unless it's known to be good. For me, that's never or nearly so, because I generally have everything I'm interested in.

I can reinstall games at any time.

I buy new games every week.

I delete games I didn't like at all off of iTunes as well. Recently, I've been deleting quite a few casual games I used to like in light of my shift of preference.

Most of them cost a dollar in the first place. Deleting something after five minutes doesn't make me hesitate at all because there are excellent games that have given me tons of enjoyment at the same price and were worth so much more. You win some; you lose some.

Why should I saturate my good games? I currently have over 200 purchased games from pretty recently. If any of them are over half a year old, it's because they're Dead Space, GTA: CW, RR2, and other games that deserve to stay. Can't bring myself to ever delete the iOS 'classics' like AB, FN, DJ, etc. They deserve a spot.

If it's an adventure game like Hector, Puzzle Agent, S&S, Dreamscape, etc. with no replay value, I'll delete it as soon as I finish the storyline. If I'm ever inclined to play it again, I'll download it within seconds/minutes for free.

Most of all, if a game simply just isn't fun, don't take the TIME to get through it even if you paid for it. You could be using that time to play something better because there will ALWAYS be something better out there at an affordable cost. Time over money for the AppStore, for now.

Twitter: @back2this
10-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Don't ask yourself what you want to delete, but ask yourself what you want to keep.

Start sorting your games into groups. One group for those games you love and play a lot. Those are games you want to keep. Make another group for games which have real endings and you can finish. You either love those games and play through them so they can be deleted, or you can't be bothered to spend time with them so they can be deleted also. Then make a group of games you are not sure about. Open those games, spend some time with them and then decide if they deserve your time and the required space on your device.

Be picky and only play and keep games you really enjoy. You deserve nothing but the best, right? There are more games than there is time to play them. Be realistic. Don't waste your precious time feeling guilty about deleting games you don't enjoy.
10-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Yea, it must really suck to lose save data every time you delete an app, especially when the save data is usually only a few hundred kilobytes. Just another reason to jailbreak, eh?

Waiting for: Chaos Rings II, Phoenix Wright 123
I will always love: Kairosoft and CAVE Co. Ltd., Capcom, Godzilab, Simogo
Feel free to add me on Gamecenter; I'm Kirbychewy!
Dodonpachi is no longer my favorite iOS game.
10-06-2011, 06:57 PM
If you have a Mac, there's no reason to lose save data. Get PhoneView: you can navigate your iPhone files from your desktop and back up save files. If you delete an app and reinstall it, simply go to PhoneView and drag and drop the save file into the Documents folder in the App. There's no need to jailbreak and frankly it couldn't be easier.

I use this method to transfer the save files from my iPhone versions of Chaos Rings and GTA: CW to the iPad versions -- even though the games are not universal.