★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Double Across 2.0 Released - Enhanced for iOS 5

View Poll Results: Have you heard of Double Across before now?
Yes, I own a copy! 1 20.00%
Yes, but I don't own a copy. 0 0%
No, I had never heard of it, but it sounds interesting. 4 80.00%
No, I had never heard of it, but word games aren't my thing. 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll
10-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Double Across 2.0 Released - Enhanced for iOS 5

Now Play Up To 15 Simultaneous Games Against Anyone in the World

CEDAR PARK, Texas--October 7th, 2011--Sol Robots just released Double Across 2.0 and it is available on the app store today. With the release of iOS 5, on Tuesday October 11th, Double Across version 2 will add turn based multiplayer support (via Apple’s Game Center). This allows players to play Double Across with anyone in the world. Players receive notifications when it’s their turn to play, allowing for a relaxed playing environment where individual players can be involved in up to 15 simultaneous games. Asynchronous turn based gaming, popularized by “Words with Friends” and “Scrabulous”, is now possible in Double Across.

Double Across adds a whole new dimension to crossword puzzle games. Players start with all of their letters, play on a very large board, and compete to add words with the most intersections. These game rules result in an extraordinarily rich word play, unprecedented for games in the “Scrabble” genre. In addition to Double Across’s rich online game experience, Double Across’s hallmark feature is its use of literary based computer opponents, namely: Jane Austen, Mark Twain, Jules Verne, William Shakespeare, and Aesop. These players only play words from their published works, and whenever you play a word that these characters have used in their writings, they will quote the relevant passage. A sixth AI player “Mr. Genius” is also included. This player uses any word from the dictionary, and is very tough to beat.

Get ready for iOS 5, Download the new version today!

Cortis Clark

President and Lead Programmer at Sol Robots
Makers of Double Across, Save Benjis+, Adam's Art etc.
10-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Game sounds interesting. Would love to hear from impressions...

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy
10-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Looks interesting. will there be a Lite version, to try it out?
10-08-2011, 10:20 AM
ColeDaddy: Check out our iTunes reviews, hopefully that will give you some sense for what others think of the game.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/double-across-crossword-puzzle/id374061351?mt=8

Cortis Clark

10-08-2011, 10:26 AM
pka4916: We had a lite version, but I don't think we structured it right (in terms of the mix of free vs. paid features). We've pulled the lite version from the market. You can get some sense of the game from our tutorial video on the right hand side of our website.

<http://doubleacross.com>

Cortis Clark