Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Default Steambirds Survival HD (Halfbrick + Spry Fox)

Last edited by crex; 10-09-2011 at 07:27 PM..
Old 10-09-2011, 04:36 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

It' HD, so , right section I got it earlier,played first two levels,liked it. However, i'm always scared with IAP's. If I'm reinstalling, what happens then?

Last edited by PraetorianX; 10-09-2011 at 04:38 PM..
Old 10-09-2011, 05:24 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraetorianX View Post
It' HD, so , right section I got it earlier,played first two levels,liked it. However, i'm always scared with IAP's. If I'm reinstalling, what happens then?
Credit stuff probably won't transfer but things like the Ad disabling IAP will surely follow you onto the new system or reinstallation.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:00 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

Great Googly Moogly!

This is the game I so wished the original release of Steambirds was and will gladly pay the devs some beans even though I'm just as content unlocking the stuff naturally, I NEED to reward devs for doing good like this!

Basically this is Steambirds HD but not only is there a fair amount of randomization even when playing the same mission (you never know where the baddies will spawn from nor what power-ups they'll drop when blasted), even after you complete a mission you are free to keep going and see how many more baddies you can take out before overcome!

I love how all of the various planes have their own unique stats and abilities, the wide variety of power-ups I've seen so far, and just the general vibe of the game itself!

One of the classic balancing acts this game is constantly presenting is how you must achieve your goal in a limited number of turns which means you have to make every move count. Is that Poison Cloud power-up worth wasting an extra turn to snag? Will going for that power-up put you in more harm's way than it's worth? It's your call!

5/5
Old 10-09-2011, 07:42 PM
iPad, iOS 5.x

I must say, that I prefer "Crimson:Steam Pirates", because it has a really unique atmosphere, which is underlined by absolutely lovely graphics, with a lot of details. And in my opinion it offers more variety in mission and map design. Steam Birds is a little bit repetitive and somehow "empty". What it lacks is the randomness of Steambirds, but who knows, maybe someday they publish some kind of mission editor, so that you can share missions, MP maps, etc...
Don't get me wrong, Steambirds is still a good game, but Crimson is better in my eyes.

Last edited by Cromwell; 10-10-2011 at 01:10 PM..
Old 10-09-2011, 09:16 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromwell View Post
I must say, that I prefer "Crimson:Steam Pirates", because it has a really unique atmosphere, which is underlined by absolutely lovely graphics, with a lot of details. And in my opinion it offers more variety in mission and map design. Steam Birds is a little bit repetitive and somehow "empty". What it lacks is the randomness of Steambirds, but who knows, maybe someday they publish some kind of mission editor, so that you can share missions, MP maps, etc...
Don't get wrong, Steambirds is still a good game, but Crimson is better in my eyes.
I hear what your saying and it is clearly a matter of taste. I think the Steam Pirates might be a far deeper story and unique missions but there isn't any replayability once you've played a mission. At the same time decent replayability often comes at the cost keeping stuff a tad generic.

Perhaps the original non-randomized Steambirds had more of a storyline?
Old 10-09-2011, 09:27 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Has the app been removed from the App Store? The link here doesn't work and when I try to search for the game by name it comes up in the search box, but then can't find the app.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:41 PM

Looks like they removed it. I got it in time. . Really nicely done. I will be playing this a lot. I do think the tutorial was kind of short though if you have not played original.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:55 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzarCastic View Post
Has the app been removed from the App Store? The link here doesn't work and when I try to search for the game by name it comes up in the search box, but then can't find the app.
I did once get a nasty crash from which only reinstalling appeared to get me out of...but it seems to be working okay now.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:07 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I think my only whine at this point is, as cooly unique each aircraft you fly in each of the 8 city campaigns, it doesn't appear you ever get to mix an match aircraft. In each campaign if you want to hire any recruits (which are just up to two additional controllable aircraft) they will always be a choice of either the campaign's featured aircraft or the game's very generic no frill aircraft. I can only hope in the 4 or so cities yet to be released they'll enact a little tag team fun where you get to use a variety of aircraft.

Last edited by LordGek; 10-10-2011 at 09:36 AM..