★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Evil Genius
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 18.5 MB
  • Version: 1.3
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Gem Thief is a 2D tile-based puzzle game where you play as Quentin, a thieving miner, whose goal is to steal all of the gems in an abandoned mine. Your puzzle solving skills will be put to the test as you manoeuvre boulders, destroy obstacles and risk your life in order to grab every one of the elusive gems in this 80s vintage style game!

Features:

- Classic game-play similar to games from the Amiga and Commodore 64 days.

- Simple, intuitive controls.

- 50 levels.

- Retina enabled graphics.

- Free content updates, including new levels, locations and puzzle elements.

SimonBurford's comments:
Hi Guys!

Just posting to let you know that some friends and I have just finished making our first game, Gem Thief, using cocos2d!

About the game:

Gem Thief is a 2D tile-based puzzle game where you play as Quentin, a thieving miner, whose goal is to find and steal all of the gems in an abandoned gem mine. As you navigate through the mine your puzzle solving skills will be put to the test as you manoeuvre boulders, destroy obstacles and risk your life in order to grab every last one of the elusive gems in this 80s vintage style game!

Some screenshots:

Some video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9vs2Gg-cO8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsFIRjQM7zM

Here is the website: http://www.evilgenius.com.au/gemthief/

And you can get it from iTunes here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gem-thief/id469889829?mt=8

Finally, if you have any feedback on where we can improve we'd like to hear it!

Cheers,
Simon
10-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Hmmm... Looks interesting, what ate the controls like?

10-12-2011, 04:07 AM
Hi syntheticvoid,

The controls are relative to the position of the character. You press on the space to his left to move him left, press above him to move him up, etc.

I hope that answers your question!

Simon
10-12-2011, 04:41 AM
Is this retina enabled?

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
10-12-2011, 06:23 AM
Does look interesting. Will you release a Lite Version?

Challenge me on Gamecenter: tblrsa
App-Echo - Your place for German iOS App and Game Reviews
Follow us on Twitter!
10-12-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblrsa View Post
Does look interesting. Will you release a Lite Version?
I second the Question and may i ask how your current Plans are with a iPad Version that would be Universial?

Last edited by Sanuku; 10-12-2011 at 06:30 AM.
10-12-2011, 07:06 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the questions!

@metalcasket

The current version is not retina enabled, but we are working on that for an early patch.

@tblrsa

Yep! We'll be releasing a Lite version soon.

@Sanuku

The current version does work on the iPad, but only at 480x320 or double sized. We're still in the early planning stages of the iPad version, so we're not entirely sure if we're going to make the current release universal, or if we're going to release a seperate iPad specific version.
10-23-2011, 06:32 PM
V1.1 has been released! This update is primarily to fix a few small issues people reported to us. Support for Retina will be coming in the next update.

Changelog:

- Fixed a bug which was causing the game to crash on older devices when selecting the first level.
- Fixed a bug where in some cases if the app was terminated some of the levels you've unlocked would revert back to being locked.
- Changed it so you can undo as many times as you want. Updated the tip text to reflect this change as well.
- Changed the app icon.
12-17-2011, 03:43 AM
Hi guys!

The lite version is now available on the App Store: Gem Thief Lite

Both the lite and the full version have retina enabled graphics as well!

Cheers!
12-17-2011, 04:12 AM
I had completely forgetten about Gem Thief after my initial retina-related question, but man...I just picked this up and I believe this (along with Greedy Bankers) is (no pun intended) one of the App Store's hidden gems. Top notch presentation, graphics and music. Excellent, excellent work Evil Genuis.

Just a query: Are you planning on adding a screen orientation option?

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"