Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

View Poll Results: Do you think that a DS/PSP level video game will come to the iPod touch/iPhone?
Yes, and soon. 29 78.38%
No, never. 4 10.81%
Yes, but not for a long time. 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2008, 11:13 AM

Mobile games? There are a plethora of games already out for the iPhone/iTouch that are in no way possible on traditional mobile phones. I'm not sure what you're looking for, but as far as I can see, it's already here.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalWeather View Post
There is a video out there that shows them playing Second Life on the iPhone so there is the technology out there to do it, just not sure if it's up to the hardware's standards yet
I think you are referring to the work at Intel Israel. That wasn't an iPhone but it should be possible on the iPhone as well with the right amount of work. Also, the processing was being done on a remote server/desktop and streaming to the mobile device over wifi (IIRC). So you never get away from having a desktop, just a remote control/display.

Personally, I'm not too interested in that type of game for the iphone. I want something that is a quick fix while killing some time. If I want to do real gaming, I can do that on a console platform and enjoy it more.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Do you have sound, music, and/or vibrate off? Turning those off helps a lot. Then again, I have a 1st gen iPhone, so the battery life probably isn't what it once was.
I do have the vibrate turned off but i love the sounds. I myself have a 3G, so the battery is fairly new and i never played it on my older 1st gen iPhone. I'm sure it's probably because your battery is just older than mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldkaplan View Post
I think you are referring to the work at Intel Israel. That wasn't an iPhone but it should be possible on the iPhone as well with the right amount of work. Also, the processing was being done on a remote server/desktop and streaming to the mobile device over wifi (IIRC). So you never get away from having a desktop, just a remote control/display.

Personally, I'm not too interested in that type of game for the iphone. I want something that is a quick fix while killing some time. If I want to do real gaming, I can do that on a console platform and enjoy it more.
Ah yes, I believe that's what I saw, and while there is potential there I don't see it having a big market. I do agree with you too, the games I play on my iPhone are for when I'm bored or waiting in line, if I really want to get into a game I play it on my Mac or my Wii.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:50 PM

Precisely, I think mobile games should be designed for the kind of real world situations they'll be in - long commute on the train to work, waiting at the airport, waiting in at the doc's waiting room, in the back seat of the car, etc. I have an Xbox 360 and a gaming PC for when I want to do some serious gaming.

I think what the OP is more looking for is proof of the iPhone's full prowess, and perhaps someday a big name developer will put out a game that truly wows everyone. For now, I'm enjoying the Galcons, the MotionX Pokers, the Aurora Feints of the mobile gaming world.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:37 PM

I as say in my last comment even if devs want to keep focus on no new inovative gameplay/imput they can create an "virtual Analogic Stick" as it works pretty good on Mario 64 DS.

The battery life is an issue but for me its ok, if i play during work time its always short and if i bring my iphone when travelling i.e. i usally dont use the phone or data cellular a lot (too expansive if avaible in other country).

Since we dont see any kind of "Killer Battery Hydrogen long life style" coming, the probleme of a multi usages device will still remain, play or phone, listening musique or browsing the internet, etc, etc.

I eventually considering of buying an extra battery for specials non-phone-usage times like holidays, or long trip in train-plane-car.

Apolozize for my "english", hope you guys understant 1/2 of what im talking about.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikeadams

personally i bought the ipod touch over the iphone because i planned on using it as a gaming device as well as mp3 player.

a. i paid a one time fee (purchasing the ipod) to use the internet (wifi is everywhere) as opposed to a monthly phone bill

b. id rather kill battery life on my mp3 player, rather than my phone in which i may have to make emergency calls with. itd be a shame to not be able to report the robber who shot you in the chest because re-volt killed your battery.

so i wouldnt mind hefty battery chunking games, cause id just play em plugged in or until my ipod dies.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:44 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

It's funny what people were saying 4 years ago.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:10 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ View Post
... even if devs want to keep focus on no new inovative gameplay/imput they can create an "virtual Analogic Stick" as it works pretty good on Mario 64 DS.
O_O

Wow. Can you imagine the looks on their faces if someone told them what people were going to end up discussing/arguing/complaining about these days?

DBC
Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 PM

nvm, didn't realize this was 4 years old
Old 12-03-2012, 09:44 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerboycroy View Post
O_O

Wow. Can you imagine the looks on their faces if someone told them what people were going to end up discussing/arguing/complaining about these days?

DBC
The App Store came a long way. I remember the keynote when Steve jobs introduced the App Store.