★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Is a real video game ever going to happen for the iPod touch/iPhone?

View Poll Results: Do you think that a DS/PSP level video game will come to the iPod touch/iPhone?
Yes, and soon. 29 78.38%
No, never. 4 10.81%
Yes, but not for a long time. 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll
12-03-2012, 09:48 PM
I thought someone was taking the mickey, until seeing the date of the first post.

Favourites: KotOR, Gridlee, iDOS, Deus Ex: The Fall, Gamebook Adventures, Baldur's Gate EE, GTA: Vice City
12-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanoff View Post
Some games on the iPod touch/iPhone are really great. However, every single one of these games is a mobile game. While I realize it is a mobile platform, it also has the processing power and capabilities of a computer.

It would be fully possible to get a PSP/DS-worthy game on the iPhone. In fact, with creative controls, it would be entirely possible to create a 3D platformer. (I think an FPS is in the works.)

Do you think that a full video game with levels, a story, and 3D (or very nice 2D) graphics is likely to come to the iPod touch/iPhone? Or do you think that developers will stick with safer mobile games?
What are you talking about? Are you new to the iOS platform?

12-03-2012, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldat7 View Post
Judging by the date this was posted, there's a good chance that guy has been on the platform longer than you!
12-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbridge View Post
It's funny what people were saying 4 years ago.
Ahhhh....memories.....
12-03-2012, 11:22 PM
The sad par is that I just voted. It wasn't until I saw the post about Vay that made me stop and look at the dates on this thread.

Gamecenter: MicroByte
Jetpack Joyride: all 125 medals :: Golden Tophat winner :: Special Half-Brick Prize
Playing: Sonic Racing Transformed | Giant Boulder of Death | Dead Trigger 2 | Jetpack Joyride
12-03-2012, 11:29 PM
In the iOS world It's too hard to make the kind of money needed to support the kind of development effort that can be put into a console game. I'm amazed at the quality of games available now given the $1.99 or less price point needed for success. This has led to developers having to rely on IAP for money which further cripples the games. Even DS ports that sell for $20-$30 on the DS have to be priced dirt cheap on iOS. Most developers struggle to make a living while their customers who paid $0.99 for the game drop ratings to one star because there hasn't been a content update in three months.
12-04-2012, 12:17 AM
Quote:
12-04-2012, 12:26 AM
Quote:
At the time he posted? We all were...

DBC

I give up.
12-04-2012, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerboycroy View Post
At the time he posted? We all were...

DBC

SSP infection (Serious Self-P'wnage).

.... haha, I just voted for the third poll option.

And funny, this thread resides in the wrong section since 4 years. But I think back in 2008, tA just had 2 or 3 forum sections...

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

Last edited by Vovin; 12-04-2012 at 12:35 AM.
12-04-2012, 12:31 AM
In all honesty, there have still been more games with console production values for the original PSP than on iPhone.

Editor at iPhone Alley - Complete re-launch coming soon!
64GB black iPhone 5 - 32GB black 3rd-gen iPad