Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-12-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
This was billed as a very specific western type of RPG. All the games of the era this game emulates had visible, wandering enemies and ranged combat whether real time or turn based. Dungeon Master, Might and Magic, Wizardry, etc, etc. There is already a myriad of Asian-style RPGs out there with their sterile, immersion-less worlds. Seeing this game follow in the same path is hugely disappointing. I have been looking forward to it for weeks but now will almost certainly be giving it a miss. Developer, what on earth were you thinking?
Actually, Gabrien, the original Wizardry had random encounters. But that reminds me, this game needs a way to escape from an encounter -- I don't think there's any way to do so right not.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:34 PM

Thanks for the impressions SQ0.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:51 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
The good news is that hunger issue can be resolved -- perhaps just by making food more plentiful, or simply removing the system altogether (though that may create balance issues elsewhere). I hope the developer is willing to revisit this particular aspect of the design.
I'm really surprised by those comments re the hunger system. I've completed the game MANY times and always had way too much food to spare. I was actually considered removing some of it for fear that it was too abundant. It is VERY hard though to test a game to the point where you can see how EVERYONE is going to play it.

I see that aspect of Descend almost in the same light as ammo in the Resident Evil series - it's all about knowing WHEN you should use something.

I definitely wouldn't remove the hunger element - it's quite a nice mechanic once you figure out exactly how you should be conserving food - eating only when it will also benefit your health, resting only when you're right on the verge of starving so as not to "waste" your nourishment level.

I like that there's some debate already going on here. It will be interesting to see how people's opinions change (or stay the same!) as they get deeper into the game.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geppetto View Post
I'm really surprised by those comments re the hunger system. I've completed the game MANY times and always had way too much food to spare. I was actually considered removing some of it for fear that it was too abundant. It is VERY hard though to test a game to the point where you can see how EVERYONE is going to play it.

I see that aspect of Descend almost in the same light as ammo in the Resident Evil series - it's all about knowing WHEN you should use something.

I definitely wouldn't remove the hunger element - it's quite a nice mechanic once you figure out exactly how you should be conserving food - eating only when it will also benefit your health, resting only when you're right on the verge of starving so as not to "waste" your nourishment level.

I like that there's some debate already going on here. It will be interesting to see how people's opinions change (or stay the same!) as they get deeper into the game.
I'll try to start again, see if hunger remains an issue. Maybe I'm just not being smart enough about it .
Old 10-12-2011, 11:03 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
This was billed as a very specific western type of RPG. All the games of the era this game emulates had visible, wandering enemies and ranged combat whether real time or turn based. Dungeon Master, Might and Magic, Wizardry, etc, etc. There is already a myriad of Asian-style RPGs out there with their sterile, immersion-less worlds. Seeing this game follow in the same path is hugely disappointing. I have been looking forward to it for weeks but now will almost certainly be giving it a miss. Developer, what on earth were you thinking?
That's very dramatic

The random encounters were put in place for very specific reasons - mostly due to the level balancing in the game, but also for overall performance and game flow.

I think it's absolutely the right decision in this case and works very well for this type of mobile game.

The game was never billed as "Western", "Eastern", "Northern", or "Southern" - and I'm not even sure what an "Asian-style RPG" is. Descend is a first-person, turn-based, grid-based RPG. Nothing more, nothing less

Admittedly, I guess it really does mix inspiration from all sorts of sources, but I think the big picture is what matters. Some people will love it, some people will hate it. Hopefully more of the former, and less of the later!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:04 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

i just got squashed by the minotaur. fun game!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:33 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
That's very dramatic
Yes, it's my forte. Just ask around.

Quote:
Admittedly, I guess it really does mix inspiration from all sorts of sources, but I think the big picture is what matters. Some people will love it, some people will hate it. Hopefully more of the former, and less of the later!
While it is true that nothing was actually "promised," (and as a matter of fact I happen to admire your apparent confidence in your own vision) when you make a game that looks so much like a type of game that was particularly dear to players of a particular era, and even cite specific games as being a direct influence, (upcoming games thread) certain expectations are invariably created. For me personally those expectations are shattered with the implementation of random encounters.

Perhaps I will still pick the game up regardless and see if I am able to enjoy it for what it is.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:49 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
While it is true that nothing was actually "promised," (and as a matter of fact I happen to admire your apparent confidence in your own vision) when you make a game that looks so much like a type of game that was particularly dear to players of a particular era, and even cite specific games as being a direct influence, (upcoming games thread) certain expectations are invariably created. For me personally those expectations are shattered with the implementation of random encounters.
I can appreciate what you're saying.

For me, the thing I loved most about those old games was the movement system; the hard 90 degree turns, the six-button controls, moving forward and back a tile at a time. That's really the main thing that I was hoping to bring back - especially given how perfect that format is for a touch-screen device where (if you're anything like me) trying to control full 360 degree movement with those silly on-screen joysticks is just frustrating.

Moving forward, I'm going to focus on in-game encounters to try and make everyone completely happy with the outcome.

But - like I said - I honestly think the random encounters "feel" right in Descend. If I'd been put off by them, I would have ripped them out and gone with another setup, but I've never doubted that they were the right choice in this case.

I appreciate the opinions though - this is a learning process for me too, and the next game will be better for all of the feedback (good and bad) that Descend receives.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:55 PM

People expected more like EoB or DM or something similar. But I am alarmed by the comparison with "rogue" which is not what I expect from this one. I played Wizardry and like I say before, I am fine with random encounters.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:39 AM

Awww what a shame.as soon as i read random encounters my interest waned. Thought it was going be like Dungeon Master where you could see the monsters around the dungeon.
Will wait for Grimrock with higher hopes.

Good luck with your next game Geppetto.

Last edited by roorooroo; 10-13-2011 at 02:46 AM..