★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Lines of Gold is an addictive and fun solo puzzle game designed specifically for iOS touch screens by world renowned game designer Reiner Knizia!!
Part steam driven slot machine, part intricate puzzle, part strategy tile placement board game, part relaxing sudoko style brain teaser, part exploration adventure, 100% fun!

GameCenter leaderboard and 94 achievements to unlock!

36 Rare Items to find!

Post your high score to Facebook or Twitter and challenge your friends for the highest score in Reiner Knizia's Lines of Gold!

iOS 5 tested.
10-13-2011, 07:27 AM
Whoa, all over this!

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

10-13-2011, 07:40 AM
yep this is going in my knizia folder for sure! out of nowhere too
10-13-2011, 07:46 AM
Fun game, as expected. Three types of metals. Three types of symbols. Four combinations of numbers. Match metals, symbols, or number combinations to score points, tiles or bonuses. If you match three identical tiles, you get a bonus game where you can find rare items to collect. As you match rows, the bottom set of tiles rotates off the screen so you can continue. It's a high score game with local and global scores, as well as Game Center achievements. The tutorial is perfect. The graphics are simple, yet effective and really well suited to the game. If you're a puzzle or Knizia fan, you really can't go wrong for $0.99.

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic
10-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Fun puzzler. Reminds me somewhat of the card game "Set".
Nice graphics on the iPad.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
10-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
Fun puzzler. Reminds me somewhat of the card game "Set".
Nice graphics on the iPad.
This is very Set like but, being Reiner Knizia, he tweaks it in weird wacky ways!

You play the game by blindly drawing one piece a turn from your limited pool of pieces. Your basic goal is to make sets of three that match in some attribute (metal, symbol type, or number of symbols), but where it gets weird is that depending which attribute you're matching it will have different game effects! If you make a set of matching metal type you'll earn yourself an extra draw or two, matching symbol types to move the bonus gauge, and finally matching symbol number gains you a lot of points. So not only do you need to always be aware of how each move might be setting up later sets, you need to carefully balance the type of sets you're making to maximize your score and keep the game going.

Too Cool! 5/5

My iTunes Reviews

Last edited by LordGek; 10-13-2011 at 09:47 AM.
10-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Being a typical Reiner Knizia game, it defies simple explanation. One weird way to see it might be playing Tic-Tac-Toe with Set cards. Basically you'll be randomly drawing tiles, one at a time, from a limited pool of tiles and trying to place them so as to form matches of three in a row that match by metal (kind of like suit), symbol, or number of symbols on the tiles. The game continues until the player runs out of new tiles to draw. Where the game really takes a twisted turn is that depending on the attribute matched it will have different points and game effects. Match some tiles by metal type and you'll add 1-3 new pieces to your draw pile, match by symbol and you'll increase the bonus gauge, if you match by number of pieces you'll score big points, and finally, if you make a set of three identical pieces in a line, you'll enter a little bonus game for potentially HUGE points. Once all of the spots on the board have been filled up, the game board will scroll down (adding the 1-2 new blank rows along the top by pushing off the old 1-2 bottom rows off the board). So, as a typical highscore game, how long can you keep the point machine running?

5/5

My iTunes Reviews
10-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Being a typical Reiner Knizia game, it defies simple explanation. One weird way to see it might be playing Tic-Tac-Toe with Set cards. Basically you'll be randomly drawing tiles, one at a time, from a limited pool of tiles and trying to place them so as to form matches of three in a row that match by metal (kind of like suit), symbol, or number of symbols on the tiles. The game continues until the player runs out of new tiles to draw. Where the game really takes a twisted turn is that depending on the attribute matched it will have different points and game effects. Match some tiles by metal type and you'll add 1-3 new pieces to your draw pile, match by symbol and you'll increase the bonus gauge, if you match by number of pieces you'll score big points, and finally, if you make a set of three identical pieces in a line, you'll enter a little bonus game for potentially HUGE points. Once all of the spots on the board have been filled up, the game board will scroll down (adding the 1-2 new blank rows along the top by pushing off the old 1-2 bottom rows off the board). So, as a typical highscore game, how long can you keep the point machine running?

5/5
Good description of a hard to describe game. I didn't know what this game was about but I purchased it based on the interesting looking pictures and knowledge of Knizias greatness with making games. Definitely a unique puzzle game.

Last edited by ojtitus; 10-14-2011 at 12:03 PM.
10-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojtitus View Post
Good description of a hard to describe game. I didn't know what this game was about but I purchased it based on the interesting looking pictures and knowledge of Knizias greatness with making games. Definitely a unique puzzle game.
Kind of reminds me of a variant of Reiner Knizia's Monumental (which also deals with making sets of matching colors, symbols, or number of symbols).

My iTunes Reviews
10-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Kind of reminds me of a variant of Reiner Knizia's Monumental (which also deals with making sets of matching colors, symbols, or number of symbols).
Yeah, I have Monumental also but I like this game better. It's very similar to Monumental but with more flexability with the ability to place the pieces in more places, at least it seems more flexable to me and the way I play.