★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Save Games & Progress

10-13-2011, 09:29 AM
#1
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: In your dreams
Posts: 379
Save Games & Progress

So i made this thread just for general tips about how to preserve your progress and saves in games..

I decided to ask for some help, after realizing that i lost all my progress in Cut the Rope... I deleted it from my device some time ago, thinking that i will put it back when and update lands... The thing is that i thought that gamecenter stores saved data... but it seems like a no...

Some other games that i deleted and planned on putting them back later probably lost their progress as well... For example Where's My Water?, Cut the Rope Experiments...

Openfeint stores you game data, why can't gamecenter do the same?
Should i just keep these games on my phone forever to keep their data...? :/


Edit: Well i was wrong... Openfeint only stores items like earned gold, coins, ect... meh..

Openfeint: littlezoe2
GameCenter: LittleZoeee
Currently Playing: Ghost Trick

Last edited by littlezoe; 10-13-2011 at 10:17 AM.
10-16-2011, 03:18 AM
#2
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 163
I think Game Center only backs up game save data for certain games. One example in which this is true is The Smurfs' Village game where booting up the game while online (3G/Wi-Fi) backs up your last play session. I surmise it's only for certain games due to you stating that when you deleted Cut the Rope from your device, you basically had to start all over again.

I do wish there was a way to back up your game saves; with iCloud here, that should be apparent. I do believe there is a game (and a high profile one at that) that currently allows for cloud saving. While my iPod touch is heavily outpacing my traditional handheld devices these days, Game Center still has a little ways to go like the game saves and why do we still not have text chat available in GC?!?! Text chat would be great.

Game Center: g-b0y_fr3sh OpenFeint: g-b0y_fr3sh
Twitter: h1dd3n_m0nk

10-16-2011, 03:30 AM
#3
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,869
With iCloud any game that uses Game center can be saved in the cloud. It's up to the developer to implement the the cloud saving feature into their game.

I have both Starbase Orion and Please Stay Calm and I have deleted both of those games. When I re-downloaded them, I got all of my progress back.


Quote:
Originally Posted by EB1089 View Post

I do wish there was a way to back up your game saves; with iCloud here, that should be apparent. I do believe there is a game (and a high profile one at that) that currently allows for cloud saving. While my iPod touch is heavily outpacing my traditional handheld devices these days, Game Center still has a little ways to go like the game saves and why do we still not have text chat available in GC?!?! Text chat would be great.
As far as Game Center issues BloodFidelity started a thread on it. Link below

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=110451

Game Center: GoofyJmaster My Twitter; Weekly Game Impressions! Thread; Game Guide 2011
Playing Frederic Resurrection of Music, Jazz: Trump's Journey, Russian Dancing Men, & Cytus

Last edited by GoofyJmaster.; 10-16-2011 at 03:33 AM.
10-16-2011, 04:05 AM
#4
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: In your dreams
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyJmaster. View Post
With iCloud any game that uses Game center can be saved in the cloud. It's up to the developer to implement the the cloud saving feature into their game.
That would be really good if that could be used for any game...

I found a method though, but it requires jailbreaking. You can find the Apps' files somewhere in the root folders and if you back up a specific App's folder, then your saves can be kept that way... Later on you can just overwrite the new files with the backed up ones... I'll do this method until there is something better...

Openfeint: littlezoe2
GameCenter: LittleZoeee
Currently Playing: Ghost Trick
10-16-2011, 04:45 AM
#5
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlezoe View Post
That would be really good if that could be used for any game...

I found a method though, but it requires jailbreaking. You can find the Apps' files somewhere in the root folders and if you back up a specific App's folder, then your saves can be kept that way... Later on you can just overwrite the new files with the backed up ones... I'll do this method until there is something better...
I think Devs will add it in upcoming games, so it won't be too big of a problem. It'll probably just be the older games that get left behind.

For me personally, I don't need to jailbreak as most of the games I'm playing use iCloud, but the thanks for the heads up.

Game Center: GoofyJmaster My Twitter; Weekly Game Impressions! Thread; Game Guide 2011
Playing Frederic Resurrection of Music, Jazz: Trump's Journey, Russian Dancing Men, & Cytus
10-16-2011, 05:52 AM
#6
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: In your dreams
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyJmaster. View Post
I think Devs will add it in upcoming games, so it won't be too big of a problem. It'll probably just be the older games that get left behind.

For me personally, I don't need to jailbreak as most of the games I'm playing use iCloud, but the thanks for the heads up.
I didn't mean to try to make you jailbreak your device, i just stated a way to keep the saves... and like i wouldn't use my iPhone without jailbreak at all, it's not a big trouble for me to use this method.

I'll look forward to this iCloud saving thing though as it seems much better and easier, but i don't use iOS 5 yet.

Openfeint: littlezoe2
GameCenter: LittleZoeee
Currently Playing: Ghost Trick
10-16-2011, 11:30 AM
#7
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlezoe View Post
I didn't mean to try to make you jailbreak your device, i just stated a way to keep the saves... and like i wouldn't use my iPhone without jailbreak at all, it's not a big trouble for me to use this method.

I'll look forward to this iCloud saving thing though as it seems much better and easier, but i don't use iOS 5 yet.
Whenever you get to a computer you should update. It's much better than iOS 4 in my opinion. The only thing is Game Center might run slow afterwards. Also you might start getting a ton of random friend requests. In the last couple days I've received about 20 or more requests. I can't even keep up any more. And I know they're not all from TA members.

I just add you on GC but I forgot to put from TA in request

Game Center: GoofyJmaster My Twitter; Weekly Game Impressions! Thread; Game Guide 2011
Playing Frederic Resurrection of Music, Jazz: Trump's Journey, Russian Dancing Men, & Cytus

Last edited by GoofyJmaster.; 10-16-2011 at 11:32 AM.