Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-13-2011, 10:30 AM
iPhone 4

Default Powder Monkeys by XMG hits the App Store today

Our newest game has launched this morning. It's an RPG-style game where you are exploring the high seas as captain of the Monkey Navy, going to battle against some nasty bugs as you go.

Trailer: http://youtu.be/1Mjtril5A9k
Gameplay video: http://youtu.be/y6zaC3k7QSE

Please let us know what you think? We're already considering what we want to add in future updates.

edit: adding Touch Arcade review link http://toucharcade.com/2011/10/18/powder-monkeys-review

Last edited by XMG Studio; 10-18-2011 at 09:41 AM..
Old 10-13-2011, 10:45 AM

For those who prefer to watch the video straight from the thread:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up
Old 10-13-2011, 11:20 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

This looks insanely cool. Gotta ask, are there any IAPs and is it retina enabled?
Old 10-13-2011, 11:53 AM
iPhone 4

Thanks Dazarath!

@metalcasket Yes there are IAPs, but they are entirely optional and you can play the entire game without them. It is a universal and has retina display enabled.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:55 PM

FYI, I'm the Producer of Powder Monkeys from XMG. I also designed Cows vs Aliens, Drag Racer and Style Studio.

Here at XMG we've been working on this game on and off for almost a year and half. It was eventually funded by the Government of Ontario (Canada) enough for us to get the project green lit and done! It's a relief to finally release this game, but very exciting to see users start playing on it!

We have big plans for this game, so this is just the tip of the iceberg. We're planning out Turn-based Multiplayer, more bullets, better battle strategy, and fighting sea monsters (lazer shooting dolphins and Nahrwallopuses). Play the game and let me know your thoughts! The game will continue to grow as we get more and more users.

The game is Universal and supports iOS 4.3 + iOS 5.

The game is essentially a "dungeon crawler tower defense". We procedurally generate quest maps, so each time you play the maps will be completely different. You'll always be searching in completely different areas for enemies, treasures and islands. The game lasts forever, and you have plenty of opportunity to build up your naval army and collect resources. We have about 20 pre-defined story quests inside as well, with a short, funny story to get back the Golden Banana Tree.

I hope you all like it.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:02 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

So... I've been trying to play this, and it keep crashing on my 4th gen touch whenever I try and start my first choosable quest - Side Quest - Revenge. Keeps crashing right when I tap on the screen after the captian's first dialogue spot...

=o/
Old 10-13-2011, 09:15 PM
iPhone 4

Thanks for that feedback syntheticvoid. Can you tell me what OS you're on and I'll ask our QA team to see if they can recreate your situation.

Patti at XMG

** edit to add, syntheticvoid was able to resolve his crash problem by deleting and re-downloading the app, looks like it was just a corrupt download. see his comments about the app (working properly!) on page 2. Thanks for helping us trouble shoot this syntheticvoid! **

Last edited by XMG Studio; 10-14-2011 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: adding update on crash resolution
Old 10-13-2011, 09:17 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

iOS 4.3.3 - and my device is NOT jailbroken... just... if that comes up.

And I just tried it again after re-booting, and I made it through the dialogue, and a little bit of exploration so I could find the enemy ship, but then it crashed about 3 moves into battle...

Last edited by syntheticvoid; 10-13-2011 at 09:19 PM..
Old 10-13-2011, 10:26 PM

Huh, crap. That never happend in testing and we tested ALOT with iPod Touch 4Gs.

Does this crash happen on any other quests or side quests? Thank you for your time, this will really help us fix the issue.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:45 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

yup, just tried the second side quest, the one after Revenge, and it crashed during dialogue there as well... I haven't been able to earn enough experience points to unlock an actual main quest yet because of the crashes... =o/

I also just let the iPod sit there for a minute, and it crashed on the main loading screen at about the same amount of time it took me to get into the dialogue of the side quests... has happened to me 5 times now, even after 3 reboots and no other apps in my multitasking bar...