★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Devs requesting: "5 star reviews please!"

View Poll Results: What are your opinions on devs 'gaming' the rating system? Yay or nay?
Yay! More updates = better! 4 10.53%
Nay! Just seems a bit dirty and low. 20 52.63%
Don't care. I buy games based off TA forums/reviews. 14 36.84%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll
10-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Devs requesting: "5 star reviews please!"

Notice this happening a lot for Gamevil games, where you do tend to get benefits for reviewing their game 5 stars (not too entirely sure if they can check). It does seem all their games this year are 4.5 star or 5 star on itunes.

What are your opinions on devs 'gaming' the rating system? Yay or nay?

This is also happens a lot for those 'mafia war' type games. But I rarely see the statement basically saying "5 star reviews = more updates and stuff!"
10-14-2011, 07:03 AM
Lol not just Gamevil do it. Just take a look at Promo codes and contests, everyone does it. And I don't like it. If I enter I usually don't give 5 stars... Maybe 3 or 4.

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3

10-14-2011, 07:17 AM
It's pretty shady, but it works because many people think the game actually has a way to check if you wrote the review. If I want whatever the freebie is, I just hit "yes" and then exit the App Store to return to playing. I'm pretty sure most (if not all) of those games just award the stuff right when you hit accept.
10-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
i'm okay if they ask for just reviews. but asking for five star reviews is really annoying. i'd like to be able to decide if i like the game or not on my own... :\

i'm a pretty kitty cat
10-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Asking for a five star rating seems kinda desperate to me. But asking for a rating and a review is ok, it could potentially help the dev should the user write an honest review with pros and cons.

Founder of Sgarrista Air Brigade
Devs, if you want reviews click here!
Yep, I'm a Brony
PSN: AeroFlare7221
10-15-2011, 11:39 PM
The thing is that I'm pretty sure they can't actually check right away if you gave them a 5 or not.

So it's pretty much a scam if you think about it...
10-16-2011, 02:50 AM
When the games simply ask for a rating (any) and/or a review, I don't mind; in fact, I actually go ahead and write a brief review. Can't remember details 'cause it's been so long since I tried it but Queen's Crown seemed to be pretty shady about that, not to mention there sure is TONS of positive reviews for the game when a lot of people seem to hate it.

Game Center: g-b0y_fr3sh OpenFeint: g-b0y_fr3sh
Twitter: h1dd3n_m0nk
10-16-2011, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB1089 View Post
When the games simply ask for a rating (any) and/or a review, I don't mind; in fact, I actually go ahead and write a brief review.
This is exactly what I do. I think the only people that get screwed by possibly false ratings are people who don't do their research prior to buying the game.

Game Center: GoofyJmaster My Twitter; Weekly Game Impressions! Thread; Game Guide 2011
Playing Frederic Resurrection of Music, Jazz: Trump's Journey, Russian Dancing Men, & Cytus
10-16-2011, 03:51 AM
I don't really have a problem with them asking for reviews/rates but I really dislike it when there is no "never show again" option for such pop ups.

Playing: Ski Safari, Polara, Girls Like Robots, Dynamite Jack, Monster Flip, Polymer, Super Mole Escape, Dream of Pixels, Radballs
10-16-2011, 04:30 AM
I think it's a little dodge, but at the end of the day people wont leave a review/rating if they dont want to... Very few do either way.

And yeah, there should always be a dont bother me again type button. No point nagging people, that will probably get you a 1 star rating