★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Orator Games
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 19.2 MB
  • Version: 1.5
  • Price: $3.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Command the last of the Libra class carriers and avenge the fall of your home world in this space real time strategy game.

Build a variety of crafts, conquer planets and space stations and travel the universe. You will face a single player campaign filled with exciting battles depicted with unique art style. Upgrade your ships between missions and combine them into unstoppable fleets.

Survival of your race depends on your actions Commander!

Blue Libra is available for MacOS, iPhone and iPad.

ojtitus's comments:

Interesting looking game but with all the good games recently I am going to wait on trying this one.
10-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Looks cool, but I too have a ton of new games to play. I'll wishlist this one for now.

I wonder if it's more of a Galcon-type game or a 4X?

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic
10-19-2011, 06:31 PM
Now on sale $3.99-->$2.99.

Not the greatest sale, but a sale nonetheless. Anybody have any opinions on this game?

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic
10-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by CzarCastic View Post
Now on sale $3.99-->$2.99.

Not the greatest sale, but a sale nonetheless. Anybody have any opinions on this game?
I just TOFTT with this so here's my initial impressions:-

Whilst the underlying mechanics are similar to Galcon, the game plays quite different.
It has more of a Sins of a Solar Empire-lite feel than a Galcon-with-extras.

It's a slightly slower pace, so feels more tactical - relying more on fleet position, timing in flight/interception and building the right ships (in the right place, ultimately). There are different ship types with their own strengths against certain units or for certain jobs, so getting your build mix right seems to be a bigger part of it (like Sins).

One of the best bits is the fact you also control a mothership (which can create smaller ships), and is useful in battles as extra firepower. But if you lose it you lose the level.

There are some good features in the fleet management (which is clearly designed for touch screen), such as slicing through a fleet to split it, and dragging one fleet onto another moving fleet will alter the path of the chasing fleet dynamically, even if you give the target fleet new orders.

The upgrades are only chosen in between levels, which is a shame (and the only let down in the game for me so far) - because it takes away from the RTS / building aspect a bit, but there are 3 strands of tech-tree you can improve, which is persistent into the next level etc.

The unit behaviour (AI) of your own ships is really good. Units won't just sit there and take a beating if you don't specifically give orders (also plays like Sins in this respect).

I wish there was a better way of accessing the build orders on planets, because when you have a lot of ships near a planet (especially the mothership) it can be hard to get to the menu. An Empire Tree (list of owned planets) like in Sins would have been good but I can see why they have not done it.

Graphics are nice and crisp. Individual units fly around and even individual rockets and bullet effects. (all tiny pixels of course but looks cool in motion).

Can't vouch for the length of game. I'm half way through the first screen of planets (levels) and really hoping there is ANOTHER screen, but I don't know yet! If not, then it's pretty short but I don't know.

All in all though, it's much better/deeper and more strategic than I was expecting. It's definitely not 4x (Starbase Orion can rest easy!). It could be a lot more but it's not meant to be. It is what it is, and it does it very well!

My gaming & gadget blog: http://hatenintendo.wordpress.com

Last edited by Baracus; 10-20-2011 at 09:58 PM.