★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Most overrated and underrated applications

11-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Most overrated and underrated applications

Most overrated app has got to be google earth, which really feels like an incomplete application. It's far slower than google maps (at least when running on edge for us first generationers) and this whole 3d tilt thing is pretty pointless, since, at least so far, the buildings themselves remain 2d and thus flat when angling the iphone. No street names hurts too. I'm sure it'll be better with the update, but still, what does it do that google maps doesn't, even after the updates. Does anyone really care about street view??

Most underrated app is a tie between Super Monkey Ball and Stanza. Regarding the former, I have a lot (and I mean a LOT) of iphone games with seemingly impressive graphics. Some are lame (Kroll, Motoracer, Bugdom 2), some moderately fun (Cro Mag, Nanosaur 2, Flick Bowling), and some are truly a pleasure (Real Soccer 09, Asphalt, Trism). Super Monkey Ball seems to be the forgotten game, despite it probably being one of the biggest sellers and essentially the flagship for the apps store. I still find myself playing it a ton (still stuck on level 98) when I'm bored and the graphics still have that Dreamcast feel that really only Real Soccer and maybe Kroll come close to having

The other underrated app is Stanza. You have literally thousands of free books at the tip of your fingers. Downloading time isn't too bad even on edge, and did I say the books are free free free. I've been reading The Great Gatsby on the way to work lately, and it really helps the time go. I don't understand why there isn't more talk of this app as it is a phenomenal e-reader. The other e-book app isn't bad, but I can't find that many free books on that site like I can with Stanza.
11-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vende View Post

The other underrated app is Stanza. You have literally thousands of free books at the tip of your fingers. Downloading time isn't too bad even on edge, and did I say the books are free free free. I've been reading The Great Gatsby on the way to work lately, and it really helps the time go. I don't understand why there isn't more talk of this app as it is a phenomenal e-reader. The other e-book app isn't bad, but I can't find that many free books on that site like I can with Stanza.
I totally agree. Stanza is just one of the best apps. There r lots of really great books in it!

11-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vende View Post
The other underrated app is Stanza. You have literally thousands of free books at the tip of your fingers. Downloading time isn't too bad even on Edge, and did I say the books are free free free. I've been reading The Great Gatsby on the way to work lately, and it really helps the time go. I don't understand why there isn't more talk of this app as it is a phenomenal e-reader. The other e-book app isn't bad, but I can't find that many free books on that site like I can with Stanza.
Completely agree with this. I've never really got into the eBook reading thing (prefer dead trees) but I've found Stanza really easy to use and I haven't found it difficult or uncomfortable to read with. Reading Cory Doctorow's Eastern Standard Tribe at the moment (it's creative commons as is most of his stuff, so it's available in one of the Stanza libraries). I may sack off dead trees for anything other than our stove now

As for overrated...hmmm...that's difficult. If I had to say one, I'd probably say Trism. The scoring is ridiculous and the game dynamics aren't elegant as it has to keep filling the gaps to allow you to keep going and it has artificial end points because of this (the bombs, primarily) otherwise there would be no end. When I think of the simplicity and elegance of something like Bejewelled (it's so simple and elegant in its actual game design), Trism doesn't really come close. Having said that, my wife loves it and still plays it far too much.

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website

Last edited by moopf; 11-11-2008 at 09:50 AM. Reason: mee don luike spulling
11-11-2008, 11:06 AM
I agree on Stanza. When I purchased my iPod a year ago, I never thought I'd be reading James Joyce on it a year later.

But of the apps I have purchased,
Overrated:
Spore (although most think it's overrated, so it probably isn't)
LineRider
Imangi
Virus

Underrated:
Nanosaur II
PuzzleManiak (and all the individual puzzles)
Aqua Forest
Marple
Stroll Garden
Stanza
11-11-2008, 11:54 AM
underated-
hiqup
puzzlemaniak
can't think of them all right now

overated-
lots
11-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Overrated - Any mediocre app, as long as it's by an "indie" developer
11-11-2008, 12:50 PM
I think Starsmasher is way overrated. Overrated isn't even the word for. It was neat to see when the app store first came around, but now it either needs a major update or a price drop to $.99. I usually don't complain about games, but this one warrants it.

MnemoSkinn is a good app that a lot of people rate low for being confusing. It's more than a simple to-do list. Most people don't seem to get that. It's a really great app for the right people. It could use a few fixes, but all in all it's very useful.

Yellow Pages Mobile is pretty great too. People pay for apps that do the same thing and download other that aren't as good. They've updated it a lot and it works perfect now (at least in my area).

Showtimes is the best "movie times" app I've seen and it's free. Anyone that gives it a bad review needs thrown in traffic.

Edit: I just noticed that Evernote only has 3 1/2 stars. That officially makes it underrated. That's one of the best and most useful apps I've ever used. Why would you rate that lower than four or five stars. I just don't get it.

GameCenter: NotYou_ver1.0

Last edited by NotYou; 11-11-2008 at 12:59 PM.
11-11-2008, 01:28 PM
I think Asphalt is way overrated. It's not a bad game but not as good as many guys praise it to be. Powerboot Challenge is also overrated. The graphics are ok but seriously not stunning. The same is Trism. The concept is complicate and it's not very smooth. But the graphics are really good and polished.

The most underrated game is...mhh... actually I can't say.
11-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
Edit: I just noticed that Evernote only has 3 1/2 stars. That officially makes it underrated. That's one of the best and most useful apps I've ever used. Why would you rate that lower than four or five stars. I just don't get it.
Evernote is a good app, and right up my alley, as I like to use services that I can access on the web as well (like Google Reader)

But I don't use Evernote because I can't delete Apple's Notes app and I hate having duplicate-functioning apps :/
11-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Most overrated by far: MonkeyBall.

The controls are utter crap and ruin the game. The dev has proven it doesn't care and refuses to update it. Total waste of money.