★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: A5 only Mech game -- first images!

10-14-2011, 11:58 PM
A5 only Mech game -- first images!

Apps: Mech Pilot, Zombies HD, Zombies The Last Stand, iFishing (and all spinoffs), Puppet Jump, Pocket Farm, Dark Raider, Blue Skies, and more! (www.RockingPocketGames.com)

Last edited by RPGGuy; 10-17-2011 at 09:12 PM.
10-15-2011, 12:54 AM
ARE YOU THE DEV?

Will this be available for iPhone? Or will this be exclusive for iPad?

10-15-2011, 03:09 AM
The mechs look awesome! the textures of the environment looks....meh.
10-15-2011, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by violentv View Post
The mechs look awesome! the textures of the environment looks....meh.
Precisely what I was thinking.

Get out of my head! D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunxsword View Post
ARE YOU THE DEV?
Looks like he is!

Need professional proofreading, editing or writing that won't break your budget?
Contact me at youarelowonhealth.com or via PM.
10-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Yes I am the dev. It will be available for iPad 2, iPhone 4S, and *maybe* iPhone 4 if I remove some effects.

This has only been in development for a week so environments will get better.

Apps: Mech Pilot, Zombies HD, Zombies The Last Stand, iFishing (and all spinoffs), Puppet Jump, Pocket Farm, Dark Raider, Blue Skies, and more! (www.RockingPocketGames.com)
10-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Can't see the images on my ipad2.

Admin/Reviewer on Philippine Gamers Lounge
XBL & PSN: iANiMeX
GameCenter: ANiMeX2k11
Need beta tester?
10-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Why are you only targetting A5 at this point? So far there's nothing on the screenshots that would justify that. Well, maybe excessive overdraws of the particle effects, but I'm sure you could work that out to work on A4 easily.
I don't think there's anything to brag about at the moment. You've got empty environment, ugly textures (anybody noticed the rock texture on the trees?), and the only things looking decent are stock 3d models.
I'm not expecting the game to stay this way, I just think it's much too early to make any serious hype for your game. Best of luck.
10-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Actually there is, full scene shadow mapping with dynamic light and PCF filtering (only just made available on IOS 5 and iPad 2). There are no light maps/baked lighting in the scene. That alone is enough to require A5. The mech also uses skinning with bump and specular shaders which can be slow on older devices.

I would also like to add god rays as seen in the Infinity Blade 2.

Last edited by RPGGuy; 10-15-2011 at 03:11 PM.
10-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Well, of course, using advanced features does require advanced hardware. But you should ask yourself if you really need them? Technology alone won't make your game better, it will only make it available to less people.
Shadow mapping as the only lighting engine will make your scene look flat, you'll get better visual results by baking global illumination and ambient occlusion on the objects. This does not limit your possibilities, just requires a little different approach. And that PCF - I can't see it on your screenshots, the shadows are really low quality.
I'm not sure what kind of game, other than mech-themed, are you aiming for, but unless it's a slow paced sightseeing tour - those things aren't really going to matter. If you pack the game with action, the player won't have the time to focus on wether the shadows are blurred properly on the edges, etc.
You should only reach for advanced and resource hungry features when they're really necessary.
Mesh skinning is also no biggie. Iphone 3GS is perfectly fine with skinning 10k vertices without a choke. That being said, there's probably no reason to use skinning on mechanical parts. Either your artist, or you, could split the mesh into different parts and parent them to the bones without skinning.
The shaders can make a blow to the performance, that's true, but there are tons of things you can do to avoid that. And unless you'll have a top-notch art assets in there, specular maps won't make that much of a difference.

Well, I guess you get my point with all of this. There's many things you can do to make your game look good. Consuming system resources for no reason isn't one of them.
Best of luck.

Last edited by EvilArev; 10-15-2011 at 04:52 PM.
10-15-2011, 06:07 PM
I don't need them. I could turn off the shadows and bump mapping and have everything using single textures. But then people wouldn't be playing the game as I intended and would probably complain about the graphics lacking.

I have done this with other games (see Zombies The Last Stand) and people have a very different opinion based on what device they play the game on. This game is based on that engine and it had baked lighting with ambient occlusion but for this one I removed that and am going with full dynamic lighting. I made some advances that let me cast shadows from any position over large scenes.

I'm not concerned with how many people will be able to play it. I want to make a game that looks different and stands out from the rest. The fact that I can use the same techniques as on a PC now is great, so I enjoy doing this stuff rather than faking it just to make it run on a mobile device.