★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Constant upgrading

10-16-2011, 02:40 PM
#1
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 225
Constant upgrading

How do you all feel about the fact that we are constantly forced to upgrade our iOS systems to continue to get the new games? Every year apple makes a new and more powerful iOS device, which makes the developers make really good graphics that can only be run on the newest devices. The developers don't even create optimized versions for older devices. Apple takes advantage of this and sells a new device every year that people will upgrade to, making them a lot of money. They also stop supporting older devices in their new operating systems, which prevents developers from including features across all devices. Compared to other gaming systems, this is quite frequent. The ps3 and xbox have been out 5 years now and they still haven't announced a new system other that they were in development.

Anyways, lets see the major upgrades that stopped game support.

iPod touch 2- Ipod touch 3
double the ram, faster processor. Most games don't support iPod 2 and below anymore, nor does the newer iOS versions. In fact, they even tricked their customers by making the 8gb version a repackaged ipod 2.

iPod touch 3 is still supported by the newest iOS and games. The iPod 4 had many improvements such as retina display, mic,cameras, and a slightly faster processor. However, the graphical and processing power was not enough for devs to stop supporting their games on older devices.

iPad1 to iPad2 and iPhone4 to iPhone 4s(a5 chip)
Ever since the new a5 chip, many upcoming games won't support any iPod touches because they don't have it yet. GTA 3 won't support non a5 chip devices when it is released to the iPhone4s and iPad 2.

Chances are an iPod touch with the a5 chip is coming soon.


While the games on the app store are certainly much cheaper than those on competing platforms, the money spent upgrading every year or two can stop people from buying an iPod because they don't want to spend much to play games.

Discuss.

Last edited by Skillmaster19; 10-16-2011 at 02:42 PM.
10-16-2011, 02:48 PM
#2
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Houston/Austin, TX
Posts: 13,251
Lol.

Twitter: @back2this

10-16-2011, 02:58 PM
#3
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 10,656
I dont mind, must admit most companies dont make updated versions every year, normally its a bit longer. Apple does seem to churn out new ones every year.

But for me the price of an ipod touch is very cheap, so i'm surprised some people are still on an ipod touch 2 or so.

I'm annoyed that i cant get an ipod touch 4s. Hopefully they'll announce one at some point.
10-16-2011, 03:01 PM
#4
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 116
There are still a lot of games that support hardware all the way back to the original iPhone. And really, as far as major updates there's only really a few... introduction of shaders, retina display, ipad. The incremental cpu upgrades dont affect the fragmentation of the market that much. But in any case, you cant stop the progress of the devices. Usually if you upgrade every 2 years you're ok, which you'd probably be doing anyway if your device is a phone.
10-16-2011, 03:56 PM
#5
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Home Sweet Home
Posts: 89
You are not forced to upgrade anything. As long as your device works you can still use it in exactly the same way as you could when you bought it. Sure, you can't play all new games on older devices, but with the extreme amount of games being sold there are enough games to keep you busy for every single minute of your life.

It is just that many people want more more more, the newest, the greatest, the best. The world can't come to a stop till your old device is broken and you're ready to buy a replacement. It's impossible to keep up with new technology these days. I wish people would accept that, admire and enjoy the amazing things we do have, instead of being annoyed that we can't have it all.
10-16-2011, 04:01 PM
#6
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
Lol.
Quoted for emphasis.

Betas: Victory Day, Victory March, Zombwich, Mission Europa, Shadow Era, Slice It!, Baseball Superstars 2011, Queen's Crown, Aralon: Sword and Shadow, Zombie Runaway, Third Blade, Tower Defense: Lost Earth
10-16-2011, 09:39 PM
#7
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: MI
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by JML View Post
It is just that many people want more more more, the newest, the greatest, the best. The world can't come to a stop till your old device is broken and you're ready to buy a replacement. It's impossible to keep up with new technology these days. I wish people would accept that, admire and enjoy the amazing things we do have, instead of being annoyed that we can't have it all.
deep words here, folks

(though the "lol" is a good quote too)

Working on a wiki for Wayward Souls, so feel free to help out! Link to a list of its current pages:
http://wayward-souls.wikia.com/wiki/Wiki_Content
10-16-2011, 09:58 PM
#8
You want to game on a mobile device? Then accept the yearly hardware updates and the regular iOS updates. What's Apple supposed to do? Let the competition have the yearly updates while they don't and therefore end up falling behind in features/sales?

Mobile gaming = yearly updates. Frustrating or not, it's not going to go away and accepting it will probably lead to a good nights' sleep
10-17-2011, 01:55 PM
#9
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by the loafer View Post
You want to game on a mobile device? Then accept the yearly hardware updates and the regular iOS updates. What's Apple supposed to do? Let the competition have the yearly updates while they don't and therefore end up falling behind in features/sales?

Mobile gaming = yearly updates. Frustrating or not, it's not going to go away and accepting it will probably lead to a good nights' sleep
This post I agree with.

I don't think lol was the best response to the OP's question. I think he was looking at it through a console lens. He was just noticing that consoles like the Xbox can be around for 5+ years and still receive better games without having to update to a new Xbox every year.

Game Center: GoofyJmaster My Twitter; Weekly Game Impressions! Thread; Game Guide 2011
Playing Frederic Resurrection of Music, Jazz: Trump's Journey, Russian Dancing Men, & Cytus
10-17-2011, 04:20 PM
#10
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Houston/Austin, TX
Posts: 13,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyJmaster. View Post
This post I agree with.

I don't think lol was the best response to the OP's question. I think he was looking at it through a console lens. He was just noticing that consoles like the Xbox can be around for 5+ years and still receive better games without having to update to a new Xbox every year.
I don't know what he's complaining about unless he only buys 4-5 new console games every year. I posted that as my response in any case because this has been brought up on TA way too many times already, and the answer is always going to be the same: you get what you pay for.

Twitter: @back2this