Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-17-2011, 02:37 PM
iPad Air 2, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2ks8x View Post
what the i thought it was supposed to be 700mb ?
Echoseven's impression might answer your question:

"The game's very pretty, but you are looking at static background pictures for the majority of the time (foreground changes). Sound's nice and unobtrusive, compliments the game very well. Here's the meat and potatoes though - gameplay:

What happens is: you go up to a space station, dock, refuel, pick up a mission, undock. You hang statically outside the space station and look around freely, there are icons indication nearby stations you can travel to. You pick one the mission requires of you, tap it and the ship flies through a cutscene to the location.
If you had a mission there, you're dumped into the mission immediately.

The combat consists of you flying around your opponent. There are buttons on the bottom for the various equipped weapons with individual cooldowns. Each time you fire, it drains your "energy" bar. You also have shields to activate, when the enemy fires at you (you're warned in advance), but that also drains the same bar.
Fear not, though! There's a recharge energy button, but once you activate it, it cannot be interrupted and you cannot use shields or fire while it's active. This leaves you vulnerable for a few seconds, but you can get around that too!
Each weapon has a range, and there are two buttons on the side to move you closer or further away from the enemy. The strategy you're told is: move out of range, recharge, move back in and shoot. All the elements and controls are simple and easy to navigate.
When you win, a victory screen pops up showing exp and items you've gained. You can level up, but so far I haven't seen anything that was influenced, or changed as a consequence. So far, it's arbitrary.
If you were in a mission, afterwards you're left at the space station you arrived at.
Missions are split into different categories: smuggling, mercenary and story I've encountered so far.
You are able to redo the non-story mercenary missions.

So far I've found signs of trading too - you pick up 'stuff' and each has a different sale price on different marketplace. With over a dozen stations, this may seem daunting, but there is a feature called "Golden Route" which is described as the most profitable trading route and items, but it's locked to me at this stage.

There is a story to follow, and I'm being guided through it by the nose, so to speak, but it's still the tutorial. No comment here, but so far it's decently written.

Disclaimers: I'm VERY early into the game, haven't played even half an hour yet. I can see a lot of depth, though I'm yet to scratch the surface of it.

The combat so far has been simple versus one enemy and with two weapons, but very enjoyable and feels tactical as you decide whether to take one more shot and risk getting hit, or move out of range and recharge before coming back full-force.

Footnote: No free roaming.

Edit: I've fought against more than one enemy and they all attack on their own, not just the one you're targeting. I was afraid of that, but it's quite nice. "
Old 10-17-2011, 03:28 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercow View Post
Echoseven's impression might answer your question:

"The game's very pretty, but you are looking at static background pictures for the majority of the time (foreground changes). Sound's nice and unobtrusive, compliments the game very well. Here's the meat and potatoes though - gameplay:

What happens is: you go up to a space station, dock, refuel, pick up a mission, undock. You hang statically outside the space station and look around freely, there are icons indication nearby stations you can travel to. You pick one the mission requires of you, tap it and the ship flies through a cutscene to the location.
If you had a mission there, you're dumped into the mission immediately.

The combat consists of you flying around your opponent. There are buttons on the bottom for the various equipped weapons with individual cooldowns. Each time you fire, it drains your "energy" bar. You also have shields to activate, when the enemy fires at you (you're warned in advance), but that also drains the same bar.
Fear not, though! There's a recharge energy button, but once you activate it, it cannot be interrupted and you cannot use shields or fire while it's active. This leaves you vulnerable for a few seconds, but you can get around that too!
Each weapon has a range, and there are two buttons on the side to move you closer or further away from the enemy. The strategy you're told is: move out of range, recharge, move back in and shoot. All the elements and controls are simple and easy to navigate.
When you win, a victory screen pops up showing exp and items you've gained. You can level up, but so far I haven't seen anything that was influenced, or changed as a consequence. So far, it's arbitrary.
If you were in a mission, afterwards you're left at the space station you arrived at.
Missions are split into different categories: smuggling, mercenary and story I've encountered so far.
You are able to redo the non-story mercenary missions.

So far I've found signs of trading too - you pick up 'stuff' and each has a different sale price on different marketplace. With over a dozen stations, this may seem daunting, but there is a feature called "Golden Route" which is described as the most profitable trading route and items, but it's locked to me at this stage.

There is a story to follow, and I'm being guided through it by the nose, so to speak, but it's still the tutorial. No comment here, but so far it's decently written.

Disclaimers: I'm VERY early into the game, haven't played even half an hour yet. I can see a lot of depth, though I'm yet to scratch the surface of it.

The combat so far has been simple versus one enemy and with two weapons, but very enjoyable and feels tactical as you decide whether to take one more shot and risk getting hit, or move out of range and recharge before coming back full-force.

Footnote: No free roaming.

Edit: I've fought against more than one enemy and they all attack on their own, not just the one you're targeting. I was afraid of that, but it's quite nice. "
Yeah, thanks for the posts!

I've really been trying to understand how the game plays before I buy. I think I'm going to go ahead and get it now.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:29 PM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Wow, the graphics are absolutely impressive. I love RPGs, so this might be really good!
Old 10-17-2011, 03:31 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

woow great game!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 03:32 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

I have a long post with early impressions in the Upcoming Games section for anyone interested.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:37 PM
iPad Air 2, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoseven View Post
You know, there was a reason I didn't post this with the other releases last night.
The developers wanted to make a thread themselves.

Anyways, thanks killercow!

I just wanted to say that if you don't go in expecting GoF 2, you will find a really enjoyable and great game. It's not perfect on occasion (I've reached a point where the dialogue stutters a bit) but I found it really fun to play.

Like I said in the upcoming thread - its a lot like Final Fantasy with spaceships, and it's quite good for it.
(disclaimer: combat only resembles FF.)
And i agree with everything you said. It's fresh and quite fun even though it can sometimes feel a bit to linear and repetitive.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redribbon View Post
need some video sanuku
HD Gameplay Trailer (First 15.Minutes of Gameplay/iPad 2):

Old 10-17-2011, 04:40 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

strange gameplay...
Old 10-17-2011, 05:26 PM
im in ur base killin ur d00dz
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Picked this up. Looks incredible. Actually very happy that this game isn't open-world.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:45 PM

Default Crew attacks

Looks amazing but I'd like to know more about the crew. Do they attack, charge your shields, etc., while you're in battle. What do your crew ships do, since I read that you don't actually control them. Thanks