★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Movie Challenge, Powered by The Inquizitor Engine

11-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to JuncoPartner
Movie Challenge, Powered by The Inquizitor Engine

The revolutionary Movie Challenge, Powered by the groundbreaking Inquizitor Engine has hit the App Store today!

Full disclosure, I am one of the developers behind the game!

If you guys have a buck ninety nine and 7Mb of space going a begging I cannot recommend this game highly enough!

Tired of static, repetitive, aimless trivia on your iPhone/iPod touch? Go up against the Inquizitor Engine, go up against the world wide mobile web, go up against every self proclaimed movie-guru in the Movie Challenge Community.

Finally a challenge worthy of your hard earned cash. Finally an application deserving of that last 7Mb you've been wanting to fill.

Link to YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZVvh_ykAes

Link to Movie Challenge in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=294818493&mt=8
11-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Looks like fun. I'm not a movie buff, but I'll try it out. I'm not trying to be overly anal, but please spell/grammar check your questions. One of the screenshots for your apps has a grammar mistake. The question reads: 'Citizen Kane' won only one of it's nine Oscar nominations? . The word "it's" needs to be changed to "its", and since this is not a question, it should have a period at the end instead of a question mark. I know that people will be able to submit questions, and those submissions will likely have mistakes in them. But the questions that the developers are providing should be free from spelling/grammar mistakes - and the questions that you submit in the screenshots for your app should definitely be perfect.

11-11-2008, 06:09 PM
You are absolutely correct, I've actually fixed the spelling in that question to its and it'll be updated when the first question pack ships. I never even noticed it in the screen grab, I will update that now. However the ? is correct instead of the period as it is a question! It is a true or false question.
Thanks for the spot though. I would be the first to notice that sort of stuff myself, but when you are one of a two man team dealing with thousands of questions sometimes little things slip buy!
11-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Eh... not exactly... it's still a statement... it should be a period...
11-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Not a problem. I just pointed it out since it is one of the screenshots in iTunes. I purchased the app and will try it out tonight. Cheers!

I'm not sure if you are developing other apps, but an app that would be fun is one that would tell you different things that happened in a certain year (related to politics, movies, music, science, sports, etc.), and you would have to guess the year. Then you could also pick a year, and it would provide a list of choices, and you would have to guess which of the choices occurred in that year. That would be the concept, more or less. Maybe you would get 50 or 100 questions (you could choose), and you would get a percentage rating at the end based upon how many you answered correctly. The high score would be based upon a percentage of questions answered correctly.
11-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jborislow View Post
Eh... not exactly... it's still a statement... it should be a period...
I think we could argue this point all night, but that's not why I'm here. If it's enough to put you off checking the game out then fair enough. Otherwise, thanks for your custom and I hope you enjoy despite the grammar not quite being to your taste
11-11-2008, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy1997 View Post
I'm not sure if you are developing other apps, but an app that would be fun is one that would tell you different things that happened in a certain year (related to politics, movies, music, science, sports, etc.), and you would have to guess the year. Then you could also pick a year, and it would provide a list of choices, and you would have to guess which of the choices occurred in that year. That would be the concept, more or less. Maybe you would get 50 or 100 questions (you could choose), and you would get a percentage rating at the end based upon how many you answered correctly. The high score would be based upon a percentage of questions answered correctly.
I like this idea a lot I must say. I think there is tremendous value in applications that you can just pick up and play like this would be, and I hope Movie Challenge is! My personal favourite game at the moment is Fieldrunners, but it's really one that requires dedicating a fair amount of time to, even with the save feature.

Last edited by JuncoPartner; 11-11-2008 at 06:46 PM.
11-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Yes, I know that you can ask a question in the form of a statement - especially if you use inflection when speaking - such as in the case of the following: "He really won the race?" (if you ask in disbelief) as opposed to "He really won the race." (if you are making a statement). In the 'Citizen Kane' example, it is more of a statement than a question. And the user has to guess as to whether the statement is true or false. If you were to ask it as a questions, you would ask "Did 'Citizen Kane' win only one of its nine Oscar nominations?". That would be more appropriate. However, that is not as much of an issue to me as using the wrong form of the possessive pronoun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuncoPartner View Post
You are absolutely correct, I've actually fixed the spelling in that question to its and it'll be updated when the first question pack ships. I never even noticed it in the screen grab, I will update that now. However the ? is correct instead of the period as it is a question! It is a true or false question.
Thanks for the spot though. I would be the first to notice that sort of stuff myself, but when you are one of a two man team dealing with thousands of questions sometimes little things slip buy!
11-11-2008, 06:42 PM
I just saw your last post, so ignore my last post - haha! Yes - with respect to the iPhone, it is great to have some apps that you can play for a short while during your commute. I enjoy trivia games because you get to learn something new, and, since I don't know much about movies, I'm willing to learn more!

Thank you again for your contribution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuncoPartner View Post
I like this idea a lot I must say. I think there is tremendous value in applications that you can just pick up and play like this would be, and I hope Movie Challenge is! My personal favourite game at the moment is Fieldrunners, but its really one that requires dedicating a fair amount of time to, even with the save feature.
11-11-2008, 07:45 PM