★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Extraction: Project Outbreak (debut action-strategy game from Shortround)

10-18-2011, 06:35 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Extraction: Project Outbreak (debut action-strategy game from Shortround)

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Multi...ws.asp?c=34455
Quote:
There’s a plot about a lone operative behind enemy lines, but I’d be lying if I said that was the main attraction of the game.

Viewed from a top-down perspective, your character is given a range of predetermined objectives and placed in procedurally generated levels set across three different locales – Favela, Swamp, and Prison.

As you can see in the screenshots, the graphics look fantastic, with the level of detail on the models and terrain (such as the wooden shacks and boats of the swamp levels) up there with the best on iOS.

This high level of polish carries through to the attention spent on the controls. Rather than take the traditional action game route and use virtual joysticks, Shortround has instead employed a “one finger mechanic” to avoid obscuring the screen.

Tapping anywhere moves your character, while sweeping across enemies marks them out for your bullets. Impressively, you can do this marking before you even enter a room, allowing you to concentrate on moving while your man takes down the various enemies.

There’s also a ‘skill shot’ mechanic that lets you pull off headshots if you sweep at just the right speed when marking foes out. For some weapons, such as the Desert Eagle, this window is quite large, while shotguns require some very deft sweeping.

Along with the wide variety of skill-tree-esque upgradable weaponry drawn from real life (SPAS-12, Uzi, and so on), you also have access to a selection of support weapons that can help turn the battle in your favour.

The best of a strong bunch (the close support helicopter barrage ranking second) is the remote drone. Dropped on the battlefield by dragging onto the screen, this robot can then have a route drawn out by touching and dragging, allowing you to sneak past as the enemy gets bogged down fighting the rampaging machine.

Even without the entertaining robot, though, Extraction is definitely a game that action-strategy fans should keep an eye on. It’s expected to launch on iPhone and iPad in mid-November.

Currently learning iMaschine and Garage Band.
10-18-2011, 06:52 PM
I like what I'm seeing.

10-19-2011, 02:28 AM
This looks nice. I'm a huge fan of any type of top-down game!!!

Game Center: GoofyJmaster My Twitter; Weekly Game Impressions! Thread; Game Guide 2011
Playing Frederic Resurrection of Music, Jazz: Trump's Journey, Russian Dancing Men, & Cytus
10-19-2011, 03:09 AM
Currently selling my Soul to get an early Build of the Game to create for us an longer HD Gameplay Trailer. Will report back as soon as i get any new Information about the Game.
10-19-2011, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
Currently selling my Soul to get an early Build of the Game to create for us an longer HD Gameplay Trailer. Will report back as soon as i get any new Information about the Game.
Hopefully not ipad only.
10-19-2011, 06:04 AM
It's not iPad only!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trundley View Post
Hopefully not ipad only.

"Even without the entertaining robot, though, Extraction is definitely a game that action-strategy fans should keep an eye on. It’s expected to launch on iPhone and iPad in mid-November."

Game Center: GoofyJmaster My Twitter; Weekly Game Impressions! Thread; Game Guide 2011
Playing Frederic Resurrection of Music, Jazz: Trump's Journey, Russian Dancing Men, & Cytus
10-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyJmaster. View Post
It's not iPad only!!!

"Even without the entertaining robot, though, Extraction is definitely a game that action-strategy fans should keep an eye on. It’s expected to launch on iPhone and iPad in mid-November."
YAY!!!! Cant Wait. Another game to add to the list as long as my arm for playing over christmas.
10-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertman View Post
I like what I'm seeing.
Yea me to man this is insta buy

I am the punishment of GOD
if you had not committed great sins
GOD would not have sent
a punishment like me upon you Genghis Khan
10-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Any ideas on release date guys?
10-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trundley View Post
Any ideas on release date guys?
If you read above...."Mid November"

Dropped iPhone 6 on live tv. Became a viral sensation.
App Reviewer and Writer for Pocketfullofapps.com. Got a new game? Want a review? Contact me!
Follow Me On Twitter @Triggywiggy BETA Tested: View Here I can test yours too!