Prevail - Open universe game - by Johnny Two Shoes - DEV BLOG (Plunderland creators)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by joshsslade, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshsslade

joshsslade Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    #1 joshsslade, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Prevail is a new open world galaxy game from Johnny Two Shoes - makers of the critically acclaimed Plunderland.

The game now features procedurally generated galaxies to explore. All planets featured in the new trailer were made this way

NEW TRAILER

Please feel free to ask questions or share opinions, we are working on something we think is quite special. Its been months of secret development, we write all technology and tools ourselves, trying to create a unique and exciting experience.

What kind of game is it?

This is an open world/universe, you have to discover ways to travel around, make alliances. Find new places, life forms, architecture, vehicles, spaceships, weapons, animals etc

It is a mission based game with a lot of choice and impact, visceral gameplay with large scale and variety. We are focused on adventure, experimentation and fun.

There is a lot of breadth of gameplay

Follow @jtsgames on twitter!

2. hapaninja

hapaninja Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Art Director for Soma Games and Code-Monkeys
    Portland, OR
    This looks great. Love the look and feel of it. GodFinger-ish?

3. Ziekke

Ziekke Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Wow. Looks awesome from the trailer. Eagerly anticipating this one. I loved Plunderland. All I can say is:

Your announcement details are pretty high-reaching, I hope you get there :)

4. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Sweet. Can't wait for this one.

5. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Ah yes I have a couple questions. Will this game have more content than Plunderland and can we hope for a release before thanksgiving?

6. joshsslade

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    Yes it will have more content than Plunderland, we learnt a lot from that game. One of the biggest things is it was really hard to make updates to Plunderland and eventually we hit technical limits.

With this game we have built the engine with easy updates and new content in mind, we have tools to create new species,planets, spaceships etc and an in engine editor so we can fine tune and add new content much easier.

We are aiming to release before the end of the year, sooner the better. We will be more specific as soon as we feel confident about a date.

7. joshsslade

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    Concept art!

Thanks everyone! Glad to hear you're excited about the game, makes the hard work worth while :)

Here is a little gift for you, a new planet we are working on

[​IMG]

8. wilflare

wilflare Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2011
    Singapore
    that's looking really good guys :D

9. spongefile

spongefile Active Member

Jun 21, 2009
    web dev concept designer
    Helsinki, Finland
    Love the art style, and looks like you're trying something new, which is always a big bonus.

10. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    This looks über-kool. I need it now!

As was the case with the fabulous Plunderland, I presume this will be universal (or at least have an 'HD' iPad edition too)?

Is there a window for release as yet?

11. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Love the art style as well. I'm a big fan of retro-futuristic designs.

12. joshsslade

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    Thanks a lot!

Yes it is a truly universal app, in every sense. We believe its the most rewarding route for people, nothing better than being able to play wherever/however you like.

As for release date, we are aiming for this year. Will announce a date/window as we get more confident of a deadline.

Thanks for the support everyone :)

13. joshsslade

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    Hey Crex, I remember you asked a question or two at the end of the last topic.

"I would like to know how you came up with the idea to make a game like this and how long the game will be"

The first question will take me a long time to answer, but I will get round to it.

For now - The game will be bigger than Plunderland, we are aiming for a first content release then updates to prolong the campaign. its designed from the ground up for this. I dont know numbers yet, but it will be up to the player a lot, room for experimentation and choice.

Ill show and explain some situations later but for now know - every thing you do on every planet is remembered forever. One example of a pay off from this - pick up a truck with a grabber spaceship and dump it on your favourite racing planet effectively creating a "garage planet" (obviously you wiped out the native species first) Longevity should be there ;)

14. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Things like this are always great to hear!

I loved Plunderland, so if these things are all true (which I think they are) this game will be amazing.

More than likely an instabuy for me. :)

15. joshsslade

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    UPDATE - Space battles

Hello again guys,

Im currently working on Space battles, so working on AI, physics and controls for the fights that you will be experiencing in space craft at various points in the game.

Please keep in mind the graphics on this part are especially under developed, it will be much much nicer in the final game. Thought you might like to see anyway.

Feel free to ask questions.

[​IMG]

16. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Sounds awesome! So will you be able to travel wherever you want (ie planet to planet) whenever you want? Kinda like in Spore where you can advance your species and then build a space ship to fly around and conquer other planets. And does the AI grow and adapt as you play?

17. joshsslade

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    #17 joshsslade, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
    Thank you!

Yeah freedom opens up as you acquire more technology and contacts etc but basically, if you can find a way to go somewhere, you are free to do so. You can get in a spaceship and fly to any other planet or galaxy without any load screens, all seamless and realtime

There isnt evolution simulation but its more to do with the factions and groups who have built up and evolved to different states all interacting and your journey through the universe to find your lost people.

Also, the game play is a lot more visceral and dynamic - like Plunderland our other iphone game if youve tried it.

18. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Awesome. I'm glad everything is realtime and without loading screens. I really hate loading screens that pop up when you go from area to area.

And yes, Plunderland is one of my favorite games to date:D I really liked the gameplay/controls of Plunderland, so if Prevail feels anything like that then we've got another winner.

19. joshsslade

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    Glad to hear that, thanks a lot. I hope so! Its starting to feel great as it all comes together, its been a big project!

20. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Wow the more I read about this game the better it sounds. Most defiantly the most anticipated game of the year for me.