Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-24-2011, 10:42 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark1x View Post
The art in Dark Incursion is extremely well done and seeing everything move at 60 fps would result in one of the best looking 2D games on the platform.
Dark Incursion engine supports full spectrum of 3D rendering methods (unfortunately, anaglyph is only one currently available for iOS) so there is an impact on performance. If you can check the game in 3D mode (you need any red/blue 3D glasses) you will see that there are dozens of layers scrolling at the same time (many of them animated). On some devices (LG 3D phone for example) game looks really spectacular.
Optimizing it for 2D only will take a while due to the way how the scenes are designed and rendered. Hopefully we will see 3D screen on iPhone soon!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
Dark Incursion engine supports full spectrum of 3D rendering methods (unfortunately, anaglyph is only one currently available for iOS) so there is an impact on performance. If you can check the game in 3D mode (you need any red/blue 3D glasses) you will see that there are dozens of layers scrolling at the same time (many of them animated). On some devices (LG 3D phone for example) game looks really spectacular.
Optimizing it for 2D only will take a while due to the way how the scenes are designed and rendered. Hopefully we will see 3D screen on iPhone soon!
Or not. Speaking as a 3DS owner, I can't think of a more useless and pointless "advance" in smartphone design. 60 FPS performance is a 1000 times more desirable than a silly 3D effect.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:54 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
Even still, I can't imagine that a 4S or iPad 2 would really have issues hitting 60 fps with this game.

That said, I would give up 3D for 60 fps anytime. The higher framerate makes for an infinitely more playable game. Are you guys using a limiter of some sort or is this hard coded in? The 3DS can deliver actual 3D and I've found that I rarely use it anymore. It was a fun gimmick, but it actually detracts from the experience for me (too much cross talk).
Old 10-24-2011, 12:03 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

I have not gotten this game (yet) but would if I had not seen all the bad control reviews. The 3D thing just does not interest me at all and kind of put me off. Its a gimmick that is getting old. Have a good game that people can play and dont worry about the 3D.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:11 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertman View Post
I have not gotten this game (yet) but would if I had not seen all the bad control reviews. The 3D thing just does not interest me at all and kind of put me off. Its a gimmick that is getting old. Have a good game that people can play and dont worry about the 3D.
The controls are fine! Really, trust me. I've played a bajillion 2D side scrollers in my time (with real buttons and virtual ones) and I have no idea what is wrong with the people who say game is 'unplayable.' I need to make a video tuturial on how to play this game apparently.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:19 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by caanerud View Post
The controls are fine! Really, trust me. I've played a bajillion 2D side scrollers in my time (with real buttons and virtual ones) and I have no idea what is wrong with the people who say game is 'unplayable.' I need to make a video tuturial on how to play this game apparently.
Well it does look good maybe I will take your word for it.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:41 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by caanerud View Post
The controls are terrible and I've played countless old school console games that this mirrors.

There's a reason everyone has been complaining about the controls. They're not making this up. They are terrible.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

I went ahead and picked this up, even with all the complaints about the controls. They said a fix is in the works, plus it's on sale right now as a launch special. Besides, this is exactly the kind of game I want to see on the app market, so I don't mind supporting the cause.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:48 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotwars View Post
The controls are terrible and I've played countless old school console games that this mirrors.

There's a reason everyone has been complaining about the controls. They're not making this up. They are terrible.
I don't find the controls to be terrible at all. I'm sorry that you think they are terrible. You may have heard that a fix has been submitted that will turn this game into a one-button game so you can play it. I hope you enjoy it after the update.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:14 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Just as a warning, there's only an hours worth of game here. Then you get the dreaded 'to be continued.' So can we please complain about that instead of the controls now? Thanks.