Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-27-2011, 03:19 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

QUICK ADDENDUM to my previous post.

DAMN!!!
There is something magical about the game-graphics-music-gameplay combo, while simple I played WAY MORE THAN I PLANNED TO this night to at least save more than 50K people...and I usually HATE score attack games.

Well done!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:30 AM
iPhone 4

Oh this game is good! Even though it offers very little in terms of gameplay modes and depth.

Everything about the game is, alright... I guess. The music doesn't quite stick with me but the missile based gameplay is entertaining. The randomly drawn missile paths are pretty good looking and has this 'cool' factor associated with launching missiles. Would love to see a game which will use similar missile trails and warheads against more 'military' targets (or Gundam ).

I certainly do hope that missile launch, travel and explosion sound effects are added in even at the risk of decreased realism.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:12 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Default Waw!

Thanks for the great response and compliments!

I was not aware that download size played such a big role in first impressions, I'll have to think about this some more :-)

I'm surprised to but I think it's just not directly visible what the game offers when looking at the screenshots, so another thing I have to think about..

Could you elaborate on what you mean with the icon not being on par? Does it need to be more detailed or totally different all together?

Some really good ideas in there, some of them crossed my mind before but have been postponed because otherwise the game would never be finished (i've worked on this on and of for 2 years...), never done iPhone development or game development before.

I'll have to see about the sound effects, glad you noticed they are not there because in space no one can hear you scream ;-) Maybe a really low bass for the explosions..

Again, thanks for the compliments, I'm sorry I got you addicted to something you normally don't like ;-) Keep me posted if you find any more points of improvement!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:18 PM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikschennink View Post
Thanks for the great response and compliments!

I was not aware that download size played such a big role in first impressions, I'll have to think about this some more :-)

I'm surprised to but I think it's just not directly visible what the game offers when looking at the screenshots, so another thing I have to think about..

Could you elaborate on what you mean with the icon not being on par? Does it need to be more detailed or totally different all together?

Some really good ideas in there, some of them crossed my mind before but have been postponed because otherwise the game would never be finished (i've worked on this on and of for 2 years...), never done iPhone development or game development before.

I'll have to see about the sound effects, glad you noticed they are not there because in space no one can hear you scream ;-) Maybe a really low bass for the explosions..

Again, thanks for the compliments, I'm sorry I got you addicted to something you normally don't like ;-) Keep me posted if you find any more points of improvement!
Same random thoughts:

1) Personally I was surprised you packed in all this graphical goodness in what sometimes is the size of a bad screenshot.
The game is full of details attention too: impact on atmosphere cause meteorits to burn on fire, lens flares near the sun, different trajectories for missiles, a sense of gravity (especially for pods), the 'Alien' kind of menus, the transmitting video thing....
Basically everything is super polished, for a first time on and off effort youvreally nailed it down.
2) The icon IMHO does not reflect well the game...I would have choosed something more blue, more similar to the game menus (maybe it's just me).
3) Gamecenter and Twitter integrations IMHO are you top priority.
A GC friends ladder with week and total best (like Fruit Ninja) could be enhance the game appeal.
Achievements too (save xxx people, deflect 3 meteors with 1 missile....)
I confess I unleashed lot of missiles against the moon hoping for an Easter egg
4) I would consider a more elaborate game type...like a story mode with levels, maybe an Alien Invasion (I can already imagine big starships that throw to your Earth/Spacebase/Starship lots of tiny ships you have to destroy...different settings like other planets/nebulas/ and so on).
Something that refresh the experience (maybe a procedural space generation?)
You are really good at coding/graphics/music...a bit more variety could help IMHO.

Just some random thoughts...the game is absolutely very good in its simplicity as it is.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

yup... this game is great. Especially for your first iOS project...

I'm enjoying it a LOT, and would love to see more added to the game. I wouldn't be upset if this is all that there was to the game, $0.99 is a great price for the quality of it, but like all things that we, as gamers, enjoy, more is always desired.

With GameCenter (and I also agree that this should take top priority), I don't know exactly how well a story would go with the game... but luckily with a game like this, it'd be near impossible to screw up a story addition. I do agree that some sort of alien invasion mode or something would add tons as well... even something close to just replacing the asteroids with alien ships, and having us blow up missiles next to them to push them off course, maybe a couple direct hits could blow them up, or two explosions next to them could throw them off into space... I dunno...

But this has joined Tapsteroids as my favorite tapping missile launcher games. =oD
Old 10-27-2011, 04:16 PM
iPhone 4

Lol, how bout a side project/mode that involves twol planets/countries/races sending missiles at each other? I'd love to have a missile armageddon!

Oh and hard/extreme/insane what ever you want to name it mode that features high amounts of asteroids thrown at the player at the get go would be most welcome.

Btw, can you consider some cumulative 'upgrades' that you can apply to your planet? I'm proposing two options:
1. Temporary - last for the current game. Stuff like increased shield regen speed, bigger blast radius, faster missiles and stuff that you can earn in the current game.
2. Perpetual - same with temporary but lasts forever, even after the current game ends. Costs a lot of points (within reasonable limits) to obtain and possibly upgrade.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:44 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

ooo... didn't even think about things like that... those additions would ROCK gun! =oD

I'd like to second a vote for those^^^ ideas... =oP

There's just SO SO SO much you can do with this game... lots of different directions you can take things... I'm pretty excited to see where you end up taking it. =oD
Old 10-27-2011, 05:15 PM
iPhone 4

Oh and one issue I'm having with the game is that when I scroll to the extreme far left/right of the map, it keeps snapping the camera back. This kinda give the player a disadvantage when engaging missiles coming from the sides.

UPGRADES RULE! No IAP plz.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:21 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

I finally broke the 50 K people saved...maybe it's nothing compared to other's records but I was pretty satisfied...there where moments that the game threw at me like 10 misiles from every direction
Great fun.

That's when I had the whole 'Alien invasion' idea.
I do not meant to suggest changing the gameplay mechanic, just spice up things to give the same old simple and fun gameplay more variety.
I mean: keep the 'slighty bigger than the iphone screen' zone...just change background graphics and location....with a simple story progression an ipothetical conflict could move from Earth to other outer planets to other solar systems to enemy starbases to the Alien home planet (changing from defender to attacker).
Examples:
Defending from an orbital enemy starship: a big bad cool starship arrives and start orbiting around Earth (on the edge of the viewable screen, like the Sun now, just moving around) and unleashes swarms of enemy ships (like the meteors) to Earth...same old defending mechanic...but with the added flavor you have to fire to the Alien starship in the pauses too...after some time the starships retreats and you move to another 'story' mission.
Attacking enemy starbases could be the same, but you start from the edge of the screen orbiting around instead of being centered...and so on.
Special attack could be added (like resist for 3 minutes and a 'special human' attack button appear...you tap it and a cool Death Star ray strike the enemy...or a starships pass the screen destrying everything....)
Nothing major on the gameplay side, but with a cool alien ships design and many light effects you're so good to make, the game could be much more 'appealing' imho.

I love the already suggested 2 planets thing: maybe the screen should be rotated, but two starships on each edge trying to destroy each other seems cool to me (maybe differents parts destroyble cause different effects..like shields, manouver engines to move slighly up or down the screen, fire capacity....)
This could be a simple but engaging and fast multiplayer mode too.

Just some ideas.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:55 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Amazing ideas guys, I really appreciate it!

Can tell you that I'm working on Game Center at the moment, so that will be in version 1.1. Next to this I will be looking at the difficulty curve to make the game sessions a little bit more rewarding and less linear. Also twitter support is a great plan to share the word.

The Alien invasion has been on my mind but was a little vague during the development of the game but it is starting to take shape, it would consist of big black spiky dark evil ships hanging/floating far away from earth and sending in small attach ships to the escape pods and destructive missiles to earth, this game mode could be combined with the asteroid game mode so that you could steer an asteroid towards a huge alien ship to take it down...

gunxsword, there has to be an edge to the playfield, thats why it snaps back, suddenly stopping the camera felt really 'unnatural' this was the best thing I could come up with ;-)