★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Cartoon Smart
  • Genre: Family
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 19.2 MB
  • Version: 1.2
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Its pinball vs pinball in this submarine themed game! Two balls are constantly in play. Your ball and the enemy. You control three flippers, the enemy controls two, and one flipper both sides share.

Basic Strategy for YOUR BALL: Your ball can add BIG point scores to your game. At 20 Million you've sunk the enemy sub (and unlocked a special style board). Lose your ball enough times and the game is over (like every pinball game)

Basic Strategy for the ENEMY BALL: Keeping the enemy ball in play can get you smaller point scores, but also be a nuisance if it triggers events that blockade your big point targets. So why not just dump the enemy ball any chance you can? Well you can. But only the enemy ball can trigger point multipliers which really add to your score. An 8x multiplier combined with a 1 million point award from your ball's action is a BIG score. So controlling the enemy ball is a better strategy than sinking it on purpose. Plus the enemy has unlimited balls.

See our illustrated strategy guide pictures below for TONS more tips.

We've tried to make this game as realistic to an actual table as possible. With over 100 game sounds, accurately weighted ball physics, multiball mode, and plenty of ramps and targets to aim for we think all you classic Pinball fans will enjoy it.

And we've included some things you might not expect from a real table:
- a rotating sonar that your ball can collide with
- a magnet to pull your ball out of the gutter for a close save
- holographic looking explosions
- random and event driven pegs that pop up and down from the board to add an extra element of challenge.
- tilt indicator
- progress meter to show how many points are needed for "Multiball When Lit" and "Extra Ball When Lit" opportunities to show up (at 30,000 and 60,000)

Plus for background ambience you can turn on (or off)

- Another pinball table playing nearby
- Arcade sounds
- Pool Hall / bar sounds
- Or the simple hum of a submarine

And there's two Achievement Tables:

- An easy 2 million point games unlocks the "Bar Room Brawl" Style table. It includes reflective neon lights, a thoroughly busted up looking table, and a cracked pool cue overtop the glass.

- And for sinking the enemy sub at 20 million points you unlock the "Captivating Lady Captains" table. Tinted pink and featuring two lovely ladies instead of the battle hardened male captains.
10-20-2011, 10:29 AM
The pinball discussion in the Theme Park Pinball thread in the iPhone forum prompted me to check out the appstore for pinball games I don't have yet. This one popped up and caught my attention. It was released last week and is by the same dev that did Pinball Showdown and Pinball Kingpin. It looks like they've added some sort of head-to-head action, which is unique to any pinball game I've seen so far.

Has anybody tried this yet? It's only $1, so I'll probably just take a shot on it.

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic

10-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Going for it now, will let you know.
10-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Had a quick go (way to many apps this week), certainly the physics are better than Kingpin, but after 10 mins, I did not want to play much more. Seems a bit 'hollow', perhaps it is just me.
10-20-2011, 07:57 PM
When they say
Quote:
We've tried to make this game as realistic to an actual table as possible.
I must unfortunately put on my skeptic hat. Cartoon Smart's previous tables aren't exactly known for their realisticness, nor their playability. Personally, I think they're a bit of a mess. If they want to gain some credibility, they should be aware that they have to climb back up a steep hill from the hole they dug themselves into.
10-24-2011, 01:32 AM
Their tables look really good...but that's about it. For one thing, why is the ball so small?
10-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777 View Post
Their tables look really good...but that's about it. For one thing, why is the ball so small?
I wouldn't doubt he will make the ball bigger with some other updates....One thing about this developer....he keeps working and keeps improving....I bet he has updated his pinball games 4 or 5 times a table every time making them better
10-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyman381 View Post
I wouldn't doubt he will make the ball bigger with some other updates....One thing about this developer....he keeps working and keeps improving....I bet he has updated his pinball games 4 or 5 times a table every time making them better
Right on. I don't really want to be negative because I'm very happy to see a developer who is passionate about pinball. I'll keep a close eye on his apps and their improvements.
10-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777 View Post
Right on. I don't really want to be negative because I'm very happy to see a developer who is passionate about pinball. I'll keep a close eye on his apps and their improvements.
Pinball Showdown was almost unplayable at first because the ball was so small and it was went through the flippers a lot....but they have improved it quite a bit......I actually emailed the guy about it and got some nice replies back as he was fixing different things....I think he was fairly new to pinball games so it took him some time to get some of the stuff ironed out.

You should email him too about how to make it better....the more people he hears from the more likely he'll keep making them better !

Here is the email address I got them at
cartoonsmart@mac.com

Last edited by Cowboyman381; 10-24-2011 at 04:35 PM.
10-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks

Thanks to the post starter here! Much appreciated! (I made the game)

So just a quick response here, the ball size is actually bigger than whats probably the most popular pinball game on the iPad (War Pinball). And our flippers are slightly smaller (which is more accurate). And the flip angle is 45 degrees from low to high points. And from a little research I found thats most accurate to real tables. I think War Pinball is about 60 degrees on their bottom flippers. So their arc is a bit high. But I'll definitely admit my first couple versions were WAY off as well. And the ball size was much smaller. But now we do have accurate ratio of ball to flipper. I even grabbed some YouTube videos and traced over the flippers and ball size. Granted not all tables have the same size flippers, and I erred on the larger sizes because I think that plays better.

I think from here on out, I'll play around with different tables and different ball sizes based on the theme. For example, I want to do a more kid friendly table soon. So I could see making the ball larger for that. But keeping the same flipper ratio. And ultimately the larger the ball, the less "stuff" you can put on the table. That is, if you want to show the entire table at once (I prefer that)

And thanks to the person who mentioned these games have already seen many versions. Pinball Kingpin will be 1.6 in a few days ( I removed some bottom pins that people found annoying) , Pinball Showdown is like 1.3 or 4 with a newer version coming soon. And within a week Pinball Submarine was 1.1 with a huge speed enhancement for the iPad 1.

Point being, these are a labor love. And I'm constantly tinkering with them to make them the best game possible.... I got a comment from someone on the free version of Pinball Kingpin that said something like "after playing 30 games, it wasn't worth the money even IF I had paid for it. Deleted and never reinstalling it"... (thats a paraphrase). But I honestly had to laugh, because whoever this was obviously had never spent a dollar in an arcade before. If I'd gotten 30 free plays in a pay-arcade, I would have been high on life for a week. And he played 30 games he said (so 120 balls). Thats like 30 minutes to an hour he got to knock a ball around on a table. Thats what Pinball is. The end is always the same, your ball drops in the gutter and the game is over. If you get to play again and again for free, thats awesome.

And its still incredible to me that most games in the App Store are 1 frickin' dollar. You get to keep that App and watch improvements for the entire life of it. You can even delete it and come back to it 20 versions later for free and see how its changed. The professional studios are usually gonna nail a game right off the bat, and move onwards, making slight bug tweaks to the oldies over time. But keep an eye on the small developers. We are cagey folk. Capable of making good stuff, and turning it into great stuff over multiple versions.

Finally, this forum seems to have a lot of respect for the developers which I really appreciate. Thanks all!