The Likelihood Of "Portal" On iPad 2

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by CaryMG, Oct 22, 2011.

1. CaryMG

CaryMG Active Member

#1 CaryMG, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
    To say that "Portal" can't be done on iPad 2 is utter, utter N-O-N-S-E-N-S-E !!*
    Why ?*
    Because one of "Portal" 's *virtues is it's graphics approach: a clean, crisp, sleek aesthetic is used throughout#
    to get across the sterile enviornment of a bleeding edge tech research facility that is the Aperture Science lab.

Add to that: "Portal" is a 2007 game: four years ago -- a geological era in the intertainment continuum.
    Surely the*PowerVR SGX 543MP2 -- the GPU in iPad 2 -- "can handle" 2007 SOTA graphics ....

So, then, why isn't "Portal" on iPad 2?
    I can answer that in two words ....
    WORD1: Gabe.
    WORD2: Newell.
    The boss of vALVE, the makers of "Portal", has a bug in his -- um .... bonnet about iPad.
    It seems the iPad's beneath him, as he only recently condescended to allow "Portal" to grace#
    the Macintosh, XBOX 360 & PlayStation 3.
    An iPad version?
    PSHAW!
    Perish the thought!

So what say you?
    Will Gabe finally relent & let "Portal" *appear on the hottest, fastest growing gaming platform out there -- iPad.
    Or, will we be forced -- as is the case before vALVE's official Macintosh release -- to persue "alternative avenues" to get Chell-On-The-Go?

Incidentally, there's a "Portal" clone in the App Store > Wormholes -- FREE

2. CaryMG

CaryMG Active Member

Nobody has any thoughts on this?

Nobody?

3. Kedest

Kedest Active Member

Sep 5, 2011
    I'd love to see Portal on iPad, but I don't see it happening.
    I've tried the Wormholes clone. It has potential, but only has something like 5 levels.

4. CaryMG

CaryMG Active Member

Yes.

The guy responds to email quickly.

He says this is coming ....
    * More Levels
    * A GLaDOS-esque AI
    * Music
    * Better Rendered ASHPD

5. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Valve isn't just a developer. They're also a software retailer. Valve uses it's software to promote their Steam software retail platform. Steam cannot exist on iOS, so this makes Valve very reluctant to develop for it.

Home consoles generate enough software revenue for Valve to overcome this reluctance and sell software even though they'll never see Steam revenues on console (though they did manage to use PSN to at least promote Steam on PC to PS3 users).

iOS is a platform for new developers who need the support of an easy, low-cost distribution platform, not for established developers who are trying to sell such distribution.

6. fazil

fazil New Member

Oct 25, 2011
    It is a great idea I love to see this game on ipad it will be very interesting and I’m waiting for that day.

7. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    sigh...

these posts never cease to amaze me.

8. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    #8 spleen, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
    Portal has been on consoles (360 and PS3) since it came out (with the orange box), the console versions of Portal 2 were released alongside the PC version (before, actually, with many retailers breaking street date).

As for Portal not being on Mac, I assume that was largely down to the fact Valve retails many other developers games on steam and most of them did not support mac, only once they had a reasonable amount of games to offer was it worthwhile releasing Steamworks on Mac.

I'm sure iPad 2 could handle the graphics side of Portal (possibly slightly lower poly models and lower res textures), but there is no way it could emulate the controls needed with the same precision and speed. Levels would need to be VERY basic, wouldn't be the same experience at all.

GabeN is a cool guy, he's not out to ruin anyone's fun.