★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Try selecting different input methods (DEF, OPP, ALT, PC) before complaining about the controls!

For feature requests and bug reports visit the issue tracker here: https://bitbucket.org/0x17/steinkraft/issues

Steinkraft is a game that places the player into a world made of blocks. Blocks can be removed by digging them and new blocks can be placed nearby other blocks. New worlds can be generated and are automatically saved. Existing worlds can be loaded. It is highly inspired by Minecraft.

Instructions:
Default Input & Opposed Input: (can be selected in the settings menu)
- Use the two virtual analog joysticks to move around and rotate your view.
- Press the circle on the top right to switch between dig- and put-mode.
Alternative Input: (can be selected in the settings menu)
- Use the joystick on the bottom left to move around.
- Drag across the screen to rotate.
- Tap&release very quick to add a new block.
- Tap&wait and then release to remove a block.
For any input method:
- Tap the circle showing a jumping stick figure to jump.
- Press the button centered on top to go back to the menu (progess gets saved).
- Tap the texture on the top left to show the texture selection overlay.

Double tap the jump button quickly to toggle fly mode.
Detonate TNT by placing fire near it.

Currently implemented features include:
- Procedurally generated terrain.
- Flat, sphere, pyramid terrain.
- Simple lighting and shadows.
- Clouds and sea surrounding the worlds.
- Digging and placing new blocks.
- World saving/loading.
- Settings saving/loading.
- TNT
- Torches and ladders
- Little piggies
- Glass
- Flowers

0x17's comments:
Hi, I'm the developer of Steinkraft (Lite) and I would like to make an announcement for this game in this board. Here's the App Store link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id469009920

Is it possibly to make a fancy thread opener like most other game threads from developers?
10-23-2011, 04:54 PM

Youtube link | Pop Up

10-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Hmmm. Looks like a mine craft clone, why won't his get pulled from the app store?
10-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaze View Post
Hmmm. Looks like a mine craft clone, why won't his get pulled from the app store?
The same reason Eden didn't get pulled, you can clone a game you just can't use copyrighted material.
10-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Hey, it's got piggies!

Bought.

I'll be back with impressions. So far Mooncraft has been holding my interest for Survival mode quite well, and I've started building in it since the control scheme was 'fixed' but overall building in Eden is a bit more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
10-24-2011, 05:58 PM
OK I'm back.

Still need to play with things a bit but...

No screen flip for iPhone users. (Pet peeve. )

The game runs deceptively fast, and the default control scheme is joystick move with swipe to look, tap to place block and tap+hold to delete. (See screenshot 2 in the App store.) There are a few dual-stick control schemes, but I didn't care for any of them.

The game auto-jumps when you walk against things, which is nice. Jumping is a little slow/floaty, which is OK, but takes a little getting used to.

Water is solid, torches are included, and work, but are flat. Working ladders and nice looking flowers are included as well as a whole pile of block types. Pigs are pink cubes that run around.

Now here's the real bummer: you can only build 16 high. Deepest you can dig is 3, highest you can build is 18 (can reach 19 jumping.) Not sure how far/wide you can go yet.

You can create worlds as terrain, flat, random, a sphere and a pyramid. In this case random is just a jumble of random blocks, if you set off TNT you can kiss your frame rate goodbye!

Something I'm dying to play around with is server-mode: there is an unexplained SV button on the Make World button - if you hit this the device gives you an IP address to connect to. Unfortunately it doesn't stay on screen long enough to catch unless you're quick. Also I have no clue whether or not you can play on your own server. Since the app exists for Android as well this might be multi-platform which would be pretty neat. Would be even better if PC server software was released.

Quote:
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
10-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Apple shows their hyprocritical attitude once again by suing anyone that makes devices that even remotely resemble their products while at the same time allowing blatant clones in their appstore. Not that high quality clones are bad in itself (as Gameloft shows) but I hate the waste of programmer's time while there are still so many new ideas to explore.
10-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Managed to play a network game last night.

1) Start both devices
2) Hit the Join button on the client but don't join yet!
3) Load your world and hit the SV button on the server
4) Alter the address (probably 192.168.0.X) on the client and hit Join
5) Play!

You appear as a floating pig to the other player. Gameplay is a little sluggish, but bearable. Both the server and the client get to play. I'm guessing that only two people get to play, I didn't get to try a third because my other device is a 2nd gen iPod Touch which mostly crashed when I tried to do anything in game.

Creative Minecraft (sorta) server in your pocket! Not too snazzy. Now if he could only raise the height a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singapura View Post
Apple shows their hyprocritical attitude once again by suing anyone that makes devices that even remotely resemble their products while at the same time allowing blatant clones in their appstore. Not that high quality clones are bad in itself (as Gameloft shows) but I hate the waste of programmer's time while there are still so many new ideas to explore.
Blur like sotong...

Apple only sues those who infringe Apple's copyrights - but they will take down an app if asked (for example Games Workshop recently asked Dungeons & Dice to be taken down) for copyright matters.

Quote:
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
10-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singapura View Post
Wow...

There are so many things wrong with this comparison that I don't know where to start so I think I'll just let it go.

/Rant On
Go for it.