★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Brave Dwarves (platformer)

05-02-2009, 07:13 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Brave Dwarves (platformer)

[Link, $1.99]

Youtube link | Pop Up

Quote:
This is not just another fairy tale. It's a saga about the everlasting battle between good and evil, and you are the main character.

The dwarves guard the passage secret and keep the peace in their world... And now the world shuddered. For the majority it is just a natural disaster. But we know: the world substance is torn, it's time to take arms, go down and stop the invaders.

Your mission is to purge the dungeons from the evil and gather as much treasures as you can - it will take plenty of gold and diamonds to repair the seal on the Gate between the worlds.

The Warrior and the Wizard are the greatest heroes of their people. What do you prefer - slashing steel or will-power? Make your choice and start your journey.

Features: 2 heroes with 12 unique weapons each, 5 different worlds, 5 evil bosses, 100 levels.
And a lot of fun!

Controls: accelerometer, slide thumb up to jump, tap anywhere to shoot.
Video above might be out of focus, I tried to find video that might better show off the game on the PC, this is the best I could find:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Hopefully Brave Dwarves 2 comes to the iPhone aswell, it looks even better:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by salsamd; 05-12-2009 at 04:01 PM.
05-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Hmmm, looks interesting. Unfortunately once Toki Tori comes out there is going to be a new standard for platformers on the iPhone so we will have to see how this stands up to that!

Associate Editor, Slide To Play and Padvance
Follow me on Twitter
Feel free to email me at tim@slidetoplay.com if you want to bring a game or update to our attention.

05-02-2009, 07:17 PM
For some reason the graphics remind me on an old Jim Henson puppet series. Hmmm, dunno what to think, though. that'd second weapon in the first vid was cool
05-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Heh, nice to see my vid here. Sorry for the quality, that's the best cam I have in the house. Unfortunately it doesn't want to focus when the image is close

Currently app is in review state in the store. Meanwhile if someone wants to do a pre-release test drive - let me know, I'll create an Ad Hoc version (you UUID required, min OS 2.1, subject to availability )

Max, Developer.
05-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Looks really fun. I have a few questions:

How long are the levels? In the video, is one level the start point to the door? Or was that one continuous level.

Pleeeeeeasssssseeeeee please please please impliment a touch pad option for movement. This game looks fun and amazing but I may pass if there is no touch pad option for control.

Off topic: 1000th post!

GameCenter/OpenFeint/Plus+/Agon/Gameloft Live/Xbox LIVE/PSN ID: VoodooVyper
05-05-2009, 01:12 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shader View Post
Heh, nice to see my vid here. Sorry for the quality, that's the best cam I have in the house. Unfortunately it doesn't want to focus when the image is close

Currently app is in review state in the store. Meanwhile if someone wants to do a pre-release test drive - let me know, I'll create an Ad Hoc version (you UUID required, min OS 2.1, subject to availability )

Max, Developer.
Does the iphone game animate as smoothly as the Brave Dwarves 2 vid I posted?

What are the controls?
05-05-2009, 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooVyper View Post
Looks really fun. I have a few questions:

How long are the levels? In the video, is one level the start point to the door? Or was that one continuous level.

Pleeeeeeasssssseeeeee please please please impliment a touch pad option for movement. This game looks fun and amazing but I may pass if there is no touch pad option for control.
The length of levels varies during the game, in the beginning the levels are quite short and simple, but gets more complex later. One level is from start point to the door. Every 20 levels you have to fight the Boss to progress to the new World. There are several differences from the original game. It's less "hardcore", than the original version. The dwarf can swim now and doesn't die straightaway from Lava.

The controls are pretty much the same as in Rolando, except you tap to fire. Thanks for the touch pad control tip! I'll think about the best way to implement them, so they don't obscure the screen too much.
05-05-2009, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the response.
I'm sure some people won't mind the controls, but many of us like options.
Here's some ideas taken from other games:
A translucent d-pad like that of Archibalds Adventures
A full screen movement option, where there are no visible 'arrows', this would mean that there would need to be a fire button.
The tilt controls work good for games like Rolando and Bounce On because the player is controlling ball, so tilting feels more natural.

In response to the levels, I can imagine how complex they'd get
There is 100 of them as you mentioned, that's quite a lot. Any ideas of a starting price?

GameCenter/OpenFeint/Plus+/Agon/Gameloft Live/Xbox LIVE/PSN ID: VoodooVyper
05-05-2009, 01:54 AM
Looks interesting

This looks interesting. I enjoy platform games but because I have learned the hard way (I have a stack of games I can't play) that I stink at controlling games using the accelerometre. So I'll put my vote in for touch controls! There are many different methods of implementing touch controls some work better than others and some methods suit different game styles and control requirements.
05-05-2009, 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arta View Post
Does the iphone game animate as smoothly as the Brave Dwarves 2 vid I posted?

What are the controls?
Actually I find the BD2 vid qute slow. If I'm not mistaken the game gives around 50-60 FPS and the animation is very smooth and the game is responsive.

The controls are: you tilt the device left-right to walk, tap to shoot, swipe finger up/down to jump or climb the ladder. The game allows you to select and replay any already passed episode/level. The game saves its state on exit and you can continue from the same place you left the game.