★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Strayk Inc
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 28.8 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: $3.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Callisto is a seriously satisfying and undeniably simple game to learn but it's a game that uses strategic skills and a little luck to master. The object of the game is to be the player who successfully places the most tiles on the board; tiles must always be placed next to another tile of the same color. While placing your tiles you not only want to cover the most ground so you gain points, but you'll want to block the others from doing so too! The game was designed by the world's most accomplished game inventor, Reiner Knizia.
10-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyhjyh View Post
Sweet. I'm all over this.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!

10-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Is this like Blokus?
10-25-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm already a huge RK FanBoy, but I have to admit my first thought was, "Hold on, isn't this just RK doing a Blokus clone? Well leave it to somebody over at BoardGame Geek to explain in detail the answer is not that simple.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/5476...s-blokus-clone

I think my only other issue then is that there is no element of luck. While the true Chess enthusiasts might love that aspect, I always like at least some minor dice rolling or card drawing element in my boardgames.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
10-25-2011, 10:29 AM
I'll be honest, I love Reiner Knizia games, but looking at the screenshots for the game, I'm not impressed by the visuals at all. Seems to me that they could have really made the game shine, since it seems fairly simple, graphically. For $4, I would expect more. It's just not visually appealing at all.

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic
10-25-2011, 10:45 AM
I've played the real thing fairly often. Of course it's RK's take on Blokus, nevertheless the play feel is different. And I like the different board sizes. Getting it for sure, even if it is probably no must-have if you own Blokus HD.

If you like something more original wait for the shortly upcoming Pickomino (family game) or Tigris and Euphrates.

Now playing: Unworded, Aurora Puzzle Adventure, Steamworld Heist, PinOut!, Sproggiwood, Colorcube, kubic, Mekorama, Open Bar!
Waiting for: Any Star Realms expansion, Nyheim, Onirim

Last edited by abstractgamefreak; 10-25-2011 at 10:50 AM.
10-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abstractgamefreak View Post
I've played the real thing fairly often. Of course it's RK's take on Blokus, nevertheless the play feel is different. And I like the different board sizes. Getting it for sure, even if it is probably no must-have if you own Blokus HD.

If you like something more original wait for the shortly upcoming Pickomino (family game) or Tigris and Euphrates.
Oh, are there plans to port over all of RK's FB games then?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
10-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Yeah I'm gonna pick this one up even though I recently told myself no more games until T&E comes out. I really enjoy blokus and after reading the article from the link LG provided I'm glad to know that callisto is as original as blokus and not just a knock off like it kind of looks like(not that I would expect that from knizia).
10-25-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm with LordGek - I like some randomness in my games. I don't even like Blokus, so a variation on that is not a big seller for me. Plus, yeah, Czar's right about the visuals. It ought to look a lot better than this. Not that my opinion matters since I probably wouldn't buy it anyway due to the first bit, LOL!
10-25-2011, 03:56 PM
While I agree that I like randomness in most my boardgames, I also enjoy a strictly strategy game sometimes and callisto seems to be my new favorite of the strictly strategy type of game on my ipad.